Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I'm just starting to watch through LoGH

For some reason I was struck by the phrase "worst possible democracy".

is preferable to the best autocracy. I think it’s a good principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Did anyone watch Star Wars episode 8 and think of the commanders on all sides being realistic talentless hacks?

Small spoilers but the first order admiral always tells ALL ships to do something :downs:

Not really.

They all seemed like exceptional talentless hacks. As astounding as real military failures can be, it's pretty uncommon to have leadership lose due to falling for prank calls or provoking a mutiny by the most loyal officers within the first day on the job. And unlike the typical example in LoGH, we were supposed to take the Resistance fuckups as essentially competent people.

Kind of soured me on the film, to be honest.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Looks like character portrait from a terrible dating sim.

Yeah. He's a GENERIC looking guy. Couldn't tell you one thing about him at a glance.

Meanwhile, old school LGH designs ( despite the fact I really need to see the show to say more with authority) have some personality to them. You'd drink with original Yang. The new guys, less so.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

skasion posted:

He appears starting in Vol 2 or 3 according to someone in this thread a while back

e: unrelatedly, rewatching the first ep I noticed another boner in the subs. The wine that Reinhard wants to share with Sieg isn’t 410 years old, that would be fuckin ridiculous even if we assume it’s preserved with magical space tech or something. Don’t drink 400-year-old things. He’s saying it’s a wine of the 410 vintage. i.e. it’s 77 years old. That’s still pretty old for a wine, but not ridiculously so.

300 year old wine's been drinkable. 400 years with space tech isn't enough to make me blink. If you see some of what archaeologists have eaten...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

And being early 30 isn't old

It's not young, either. Assuming a high stress lifestyle like, say, being in command of an infantry regiment that's known for high risk assignments, it's an age where some weathering is to be expected.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

I've been rewatching the OVA more or less in parallel with Neue These, and I realized that people coming in fresh with the remake are missing out on this rousing speech by Yang before the 13th Fleet departs.

"Sensible, isn't he?"

Not exactly "Your granddaddy rode with the great Third Army and a son-of-a-goddamned-bitch named George Patton!", but it has a certain blunt appeal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Baloogan posted:

we find out about the locket then, plus trunhilt, plus Earth, plus soldiers running in stocking feet god drat this show is good and complicated.

@ yang hater
yeah hes kinda annoying at times but the show wouldn't be LOGH if yang tried to become emperor, think of him as more as a philosophical ideal

also LOGH drinking game: drink whenever anyone drinks

I wonder if a factor in the frustration at Yang might sometimes be approaching it from a more... American angle.

The central American image of (former) military leadership taking over civilian government is George Washington. Generally, they love George, in control, women dig his snuff and his gallant stroll. He's thought of as someone who took power when the situation demanded it, and stepped down as soon as he felt he could. The first image to come to mind for the military is also the first image to come to mind when considering people who can be trusted with power.

To put things very, very mildly, Japan didn't have the same experiences.

Leads to rather different expectations, I would think.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Are new episodes starting up soon?

Apparently, they started a bit back. Second season's up on Crunchy already.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

The Youths just don't love space operas apparently

It's also a story with a lot of politics and consideration for wide strategic concerns. It's kind of a hard sell even if you're interested in space fights already, which is less popular these days anyway.

Add on the new character designs turning off a lot of the people who'd usually be evangelizing it, and it's easy to see why it's not a big hit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If you watch Jujutsu Kaisen, stay for the next episode preview this week.

This has been a public service announcement.

(This is the correct thread.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

You gotta keep in mind how scale works in this setting. There are oodles of planets that have been colonized, with battles where the deathcount is routinely in the millions.

It's smaller than you might think. The largest single battle in the war, the one that cripples the alliance and guarantees their loss, "only" had 22 million people involved on both sides. Now, that's pretty big, sure. 22 times the size of the Battle of the Bulge, give or take.

But that was a war on one world, with a population of 2 billion. Two multi-planetary governments fighting for the fate of the whole galaxy "only" sending 22 times that is on the modest side. (Then again, the history of LoGH has a lot of mass die-offs, without the horniness of UC Gundam to get everyone back in shape in time for the next one. Total population pool is probably lower than you'd expect.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Winifred Madgers posted:

where's Mel Blanc when you need him

Still dead.