Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Group of friends and I are sitting down each week to push through and finally watch this gargantuan project. After about two months, we're up to episode 40 or so of the OVA. Might catalogue our reactions to specific moments later, but god what an incredible work of television. I bought the first novel on a whim and I'll probably end up grabbing the whole set later on. Its just wholly incredible from top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Going back through the chats to pick out which reaction relates to what moment is a little difficult, but here are some highlights that our groupwatch has felt thus far.

Episode 4/Reinhard flashback episode
Quinn — 07/29/2021
Kircheis: "Reinhard please stop doing brutal power moves on children"
Reinhard: "I can't"
xc — 07/29/2021
please avoid murdering the other kids
duo — 07/29/2021
"don't get into fights all the time"
"holy poo poo. great idea. you're a loving tactician bro"

Episode 8 or so? When Oberstein just flat out tells Reinhard he wants to make him the new Kaiser
nerdietalk — 08/05/2021
this
is BOLD
Quinn — 08/05/2021
holy poo poo
Eric — 08/05/2021
Oberstein is already hosed
Quinn — 08/05/2021
he's simultaneously
Eric — 08/05/2021
he's got nothing to lose
magnet — 08/05/2021
let's loving go lads
Quinn — 08/05/2021
joining a rebel regime
and proposing the existence of said regime

Raven — 08/05/2021
Reinhard: "Do you have any idea how much power I'd have to give up to be a Chief Officer?"

Quinn — 08/05/2021
honestly
the space battles are rapidly becoming the LESS intense part of the show

The "Yang is Napoleon in Russia" arc and the Civil War arcs are a lot harder to search through for specific moments and they're all really great, but I'm gonna jump right to the Westerland Massacre. We stopped right after that episode and probably spent the whole week discussing whether or not Oberstein's information was wrong, he purposefully gave false information, or if he sent the nuke himself. But that ambiguity is endlessly thrilling and one of the highest points of the entire series for me and probably for the whole group.

Anyway. The Big Episode 25 Moment
Raven — 10/14/2021
WHAT?
WHAT? WHAT? WAHT? WHAT?
Eric — 10/14/2021
Wait he DIES?
Quinn — 10/14/2021
KIRCHEIS JUST DIES?
magnet — 10/14/2021
and then, poo poo got real
nerdietalk — 10/14/2021
WHAT THE gently caress
magnet — 10/14/2021
RIP to a good boy
Raven — 10/14/2021
THE BOY???
THE BOY IS JUST DEAD?

Quinn — 10/14/2021
this is bad, for the galaxy
Raven — 10/14/2021
is i
is it okay if I
magnet — 10/14/2021
no more Kircheis now Reinhard only lives for POWER
Raven — 10/14/2021
friendship ended with KIRCHEIS
now OBERSTEIN is my only friend

Raven — 10/14/2021
you know what this setting hasn't had for, days
a massive coup
Quinn — 10/14/2021
dad's not home quick kill the prime minister

Quinn — 10/14/2021
Oberstein frantically running the numbers on how much he can do before Reinhard comes out of his dead boyfriend coma

Eric — 10/14/2021
he has a LOCK OF HIS HAIR
Raven — 10/14/2021
is that a loving LOCK OF KIRCHEIS'S HAIR
Lyssiechan — 10/14/2021
he has a LOCK of his HAIR
magnet — 10/14/2021
it super is
Raven — 10/14/2021
HE WAS SO IN LOVE

And a bit of season 2 re: Reinhard
Eric — 10/14/2021
I think he looks TOO hinged right now
He looks dangerously sane
As Terry Pratchett might put it
Raven — 10/14/2021
there's a monster behind those eyes
Quinn — 10/14/2021
there's nothing left in his head but goals

I'll stop there in terms of group reactions, but here's one final thing that I think sums up LoGH in a nutshell

Eric — 10/28/2021
oh
oh poo poo
someone said the G word
poo poo's about to get STUPID
Quinn — 10/28/2021
I missed it, what was the G word
Lyssiechan — 10/28/2021
glory
Quinn — 10/28/2021
oh NO

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The groupwatch has to stop for a few weeks but we were right in the middle of Battle of Vermilion and god. gently caress. jesus. gently caress.

edit: We've been talking a lot lately just about how each episode ends. Another page turns in the book of history. And at first its quaint and amusing how the narrator phrases everything like a history text.

But by episode 50, you've experienced so much heartache and brutality. War crimes, personal betrayals, political nightmares, corruption, greed, pointless battles with no winners. Endless suffering and emotional agony for unclear goals.

Another page turns in the book of history.

History continues. Humanity endures. All the emotional pain the characters are going through will be remembered as a list of victories and failures in some document, devoid of the real emotional context. It guts you deep.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 12, 2021

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

As of tonight, we've finished season 2 and entered season 3.

gently caress.

There's a lot to say about the tragedy of how the season ends. Yang stays true to his ideals, at the cost of democracy. Reinhard conquering the universe but hating it because it wasn't technically his win. Everyone caught in-between this pointless war. But the arc that really stood out to me was Walter Islands. Just this one-off, third-rate politician, another crony working for Trunicht. A Secretary of Defense happily enjoying Yang's trial to build his own power and money. And then the war kicks off again, and suddenly Islands has to think a lot more about his job before. And he just slowly changes into a supporter of Yang until he's screaming at Trunicht. How DARE he protect himself when democracy is at stake?

And then Trunicht exposes Islands' corruption, calls in the guards, and destroys the FPA permanently. Islands is left bedridden and his story just... ends.

There's just so much depth and care given to this world, to characters that don't seem important to the wider narrative. Its so interested in all the different parties that a war impacts, whether its the people on top or on the bottom.

I love LOGH a lot.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The group watch normally does four episodes at a time but we had to stop early tonight because

Episode 82 of the OVA.

Requires a week to process.

gently caress, man.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think part of why it’s such a harrowing moment is like…

So much of the story is spent building up the conflict between Yang and Reinhard. The whole universe is bending to their rivalry, Reinhard’s interest in fighting Yang is the only thing keeping him going. Yang being forced into political power continues to create greater conflicts around him. All of history is resting on these two individuals.

And a bad plan that nearly fails is what kills Yang. You don’t even get the name of his killer. It doesn’t matter. History doesn’t care about narrative or a “destined” fight or anything like that. It doesn’t follow a pattern to a story. Sometimes something stupid happens and the universe keeps going. You can think about the what ifs and could have beens, but humanity has to keep going. It’s not fair. But history isn’t fair.

Emotionally devastating

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 13, 2022

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

There's a bit of a lull in the middle where not a lot is going on, and some of the one-off Empire episodes are a little corny (seriously, ruler of the Ancient Rome planet who installed himself as Caesar, how did you think that was going to play out?),

Honestly the novel version of that episode is maybe one of my favorite underrated passages of the first book. It provides a little more background of how the conflict with Ancient Rome planet actually started.

Cut off at the end: "Upon receiving that harshly worded summons, Maximilian realized that some might view his behavior as being problematic."

What an absolute moron.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

OVA episode 98:

Say what you will about Reuenthal, but he deserves a salute for killing Trunicht where he stood

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Finished the OVA run a few days ago and still kind of processing it all.

I think the fourth season stretch is weaker than the others, but it ultimately comes together in this beautiful package about the messy state of history. All the pieces left hanging clearly exist as if to just say "yeah, those problems will come back, because history never ends." Reuenthal's son reaching for the stars is one of the most chilling endings of all time that hammers home the cycles of empires. Another page turns in the book of history.

Still planning on making my way through the novels but it really is an immaculate piece of work. Unlike anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Marvin the Martian is the Terrarist Cult Leader