Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I think I had up to 52 subbed, but I'm at work so can't check right now.

This is the series at the top of my favorite shows of all time. It gets stuffy sometimes, and a little preachy, and borrows more than a little from the Axis vs. Allies theme (except the Allies are almost as bad), but it manages not to be totally full of itself. It sets itself up as a future history, like what Asimov considered himself to be writing with the Foundation books, but this is a war chronicle of two nations, told from the point of view of leaders on both sides. Most have their own reasons for the war, and many are great men who respect and admire their opponent, but have to kill them anyhow because it's war.

The two main characters, Yang Wen-Li and Count Lohengramm, are completely different yet each would be considered a great man. Yang is/was a slacker, a history student who enlisted in the officers to avoid getting drafted, but turns out to have brilliant talent for war from his extensive knowledge of history and his own detached and wise insight. Lohengramm is a driven adopted noble who wants to conquer the universe to ensure that it doesn't stay the craphole it was when he was young. Their supporting cast is huge, and the primary ones are very well done, with their own motivations and interplay.

The only complaints people bring up are a) the show is long and boring, which it would be if you have no attention span or taste :v:, or b) the cast is almost entirely men, with the occasional band of brothers/camaraderie thing which gives a lot of people a gay vibe. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I watched the WHOLE THING and oh god the spoilers I could post :cry:

Seriously though, despite 82, the show really does keep its steam and goes on to a very powerful finish worthy of its storyline.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Nichol posted:

edit: although it seems suspcious. Wouldn't massive things like that going that quickly that near to a planet have some sort of effect on it?
All asteroids in our own solar system don't even add up to 2% of the Earth's mass. So no, unless you flew them insanely close, or if Heinessen's system has so many asteroids that regular collisions would be an equally large issue, they wouldn't cause any lasting problems. There might be an unusually high tide that day.

The real danger would be falling debris from the stations, but without an idea exactly how big they are it's not real clear how much of a problem this is. It's clear they're much larger than the ships but the ships in the show aren't much bigger than modern naval vessels.

Oh well. Science does kind of take a back seat in many parts of this show - the one battle near the black hole, the battle at Vermillion between Yang and Lohengramm with the 'debris cloud of dead ships spanning an orbital plane :rolleye:, Bucock's last fight in the asteoid field (there's no way they'd all be that close together), and there's lots more examples. But these are typical violations that are made more often than not in sci-fi so I think we've all gotten used to them.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Nebakenezzer posted:

Reinhardt comes accross as much more decent however
Well, sorta, the design obviously and the ambition, but their motivations are completely different. Griffith has this undefined desire to rule the world from his castle or whatever - about all you can tie it to is that he wants to impose order on the world. Reinhard's entire motivation boils down to his sister, and trying to make the world into a place that would never again do what it did to her.

Reinhard also never would have sold Siegfried out, for any reason - even for the universe, I bet. He'd just save Siegfried, and tell him it didn't matter because as long as they're together they'll take over the universe anyway, just a couple years later.

It's a shame it's so incredibly difficult to convince people to watch this show. I've had a lot more luck selling people on watching Crest of the Stars rather than a show about men talking and poorly animated explosions.

Also, as I posted in the old death scene thread, Bucock has the best death scene of all time. It's not just the event itself, it's his whole reason for it - he knows for a fact Lohengramm would be a fair emperor and would treat him well, and his own 'free' nation is corrupt and ruled by liars and cheats, but none of that matters. He's a democracy man and if he can't meet Lohengramm as an equal then he won't meet him. :patriot:

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I have, actually. Haven't gotten around to watching all of Gaiden, but I have watched the whole show.

edit: unfortunately most of the second half was awful HK translation, they'd often type out one guy's name when I clearly head in the audio track that they were saying another; I got the gist of events most of the time though :(

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 30, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I watched all this a long time ago, with crappy HK subs, so I had no idea Yang would die. It really does hit like a ton of bricks, even though they had some pretty clear foreshadowing - it wasn't clear if they meant Yang or Julian, though. Or, I thought, maybe they just get separated or Julian goes into politics or out into deep space or whatever else.

Some people I know stopped watching the show at this point, since they don't see how anything could continue meaningfully. All I can say is: KEEP GOING. The show finishes very, very well in the aftermath of Yang's death. Maybe the most interesting reaction isn't so much from the Alliance guys, but Lohengramm's - it takes a while to be seen in full though.

Sometimes people complain about shows not having the balls to make serious changes, well, this is probably one of the bigger changes a show ever made. It really is incredibly well done though I can see how lots of people would be pissed off watching it. It's like killing off Jack Bauer.