Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I know this has been asked a few times, but has anyone seen both the Hk subs and CA's version? I'm one of those guys who waits until a series is over because I cant stand those drat cliffhangers :\

Yeah, I'm kind of the same way, at least for old shows. I watched episode 1 just to make sure I was going to like it, and I've been downloading faithfully ever since, but I haven't watched any more yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

After reading the OP of this thread in probably 2004 when it was posted, I downloaded the first episode of this to see if I would like it, and then I started getting the rest. After C-A just finally finished episode 110 I decided it was time to start watching it. I'm now on episode 36.

Holy crap this is awesome. :)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I've often thought about recommending LoGH in the Trek thread, but the time never seemed right. I've been thinking about how you'd pitch the series to somebody familiar with Star Trek (to echo some of the "how do you pitch this series to people" comments) since most people are familiar with Star Trek even if they haven't seen all the series:

I'd think it would appeal more to fans of B5 and BSG. Not that I think Trekkies would be opposed; I'm certainly one of those too.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Also, Kesler completely won me over as my favorite character by the end. Even Oberstein I felt a certain sense of sympathy for. You could tell just how self-destructive he was for the sake of the Dynasty. I don't think there was anyone I hated; only those that I loved :patriot:

That's such a great strength of the show, that there are virtually innumerable characters who are all respectable choices for one's favorite. By the end even some of the more minor Imperial admirals had some moments. Mecklinger and Eisenach didn't have much to do with the overall plot, but grabbing the doctor by his collar and splashing water in Bittenfeld's face, respectively, put a little more flavor in them than just being the poet and the silent one.

Admiral Bucock, though, holy crap. Now that's what I call dying with honor.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, after I saw the torrent link float around I was going to go in and post about how dumb it was to encode h.264 in an avi. I love you CA but seriously what?

If there is only one MP3 audio track and hard subs then what's the point of using something else? The video stream data itself is identical. If it offends you just re-mux it to MKV yourself.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

The avi container is flawed and archaic, and using newer codecs like h.264 only serve to force players to utilize hacks to get around the format's inability to do certain things like B-Frames.

It's fine for XviD more or less (though, again, for that hacks are still required), but it's just silly if you're encoding from a DVD source in h.264 to throw it in a container like avi.

CA's insistence on using hardsubs is their own prerogative, but it's not like the files originally started out that way. So why should the h.264 counterpart be forced to adhere to the standards they set for their XviD releases? I agree that using a mkv format with no softsubs is silly but there's no reason CA couldn't do that just because they haven't so far in any of their releases.

Chris Knight posted:

If they're doing h.264, they should be encoding the audio to AAC and putting it in an MP4 container, like you're supposed to do with these things. Sticking with AVI is retarded.

Quibble over the outdatedness of AVI if you want, but unless you're using a dedicated device like a PSP or something, there is no reason to pick MP4 over MKV. And in that kind of case you're going to be limited in your resolution choices and whatever.

If you're encoding from a DVD source (these are LDs anyway aren't they?) there is no reason to recompress the audio, and MP4 can't contain Dolby Digital or DTS tracks.

I mean in principle I don't know why people want to keep around AVI after Matroska came into its own, but in practice the hacks do work, so I don't see what difference it makes to the end user experience.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

cooldude2.0 posted:

because winamp doesn't play mkv and I like adding things to my massive thousand hours of anime playlist that I've had going for a couple years now. It's like a diary of what I've watched and other players have less convenient playlist stuffs. :)

Well you're weird and who uses Winamp to watch videos anyway? I mean live and let live, but how can something in this day and age not play MKVs? I would think the drawbacks outweigh the benefits in that scenario.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Now this stretch of episodes is the 12-parter? I'd rather watch them all in one block if possible, so this is going to be another painful wait.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Who cares? Any player worth using will play it back identically.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The difference in overhead on a 25-minute file is a couple of MB and that is the only difference you will notice if you use a halfway functional player. The video stream is identical whatever the container. Just re-mux it to MKV after you download it if it bothers you that much.

Xvid uses B-frames, by the way, in AVI and otherwise. I don't know where you got your talking points.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

Just watch the drat things and stop worrying. :)

I made it through the original series, waiting for it to be complete before watching. Or well, nearly complete, since I knew it would take time to watch obviously. It's just a thing I do, don't let it bother ya.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

I was under the impression that XviD suffered from the same problems (E: since both XviD and h.264 are part of the MPEG-4 standard), with the issue more pronounced in h.264. The avi container is pretty outdated for many of the codecs it is often used with.

Regardless, it's just unnecessary, and so easy from the encoding side of things to fix.

After some experimentation, I believe the issue is with B-frames being able to reference more than one previous frame, which is a feature of H.264 but not Xvid. So if it is encoded directly to AVI, that feature will not be available, and if it is encoded to MKV, it cannot be remuxed as an AVI, or at least VirtualDubMod won't let me do it because of incompatible compression.

So you were right, although I still don't think it's a big enough deal to lament. I would much rather have them include the Dolby Digital audio than change from AVI to MKV, for example, because that would actually have some small effect my experience.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zorak posted:

:siren: LOGH (PC) GAME TRAILER:siren:

Even the demo computer chokes on tens of thousands of starships blowing each other to hell.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Big day today, looks like we also get the first two eps of the Spiral Labyrinth OVA.

Episode 1: Xvid h.264

Episode 2: Xvid h.264

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I liked Mittermeyer the best. He's about the most stand-up, honorable man in the whole galaxy. Pretty sure he was the one who executed a couple of his own soldiers who raped a woman.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

bondster posted:

Just watched the first 2 episodes and I have to say, I'm hooked. Its interesting that its anime but by watching it you can tell that its not very anime at all.

By the definition of "anime" you are apparently using, that is a very good thing. They don't make shows like this anymore.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hey, I've been meaning to ask, now that this thread is seeing a bit more activity again: has anyone in here seen Heroic Age? I really liked it. The space battles pretty blatantly take a lot of inspiration from LOGH. And while I think it's aimed at a slightly younger audience, the execution of thousands of starships blowing each other to hell is done with the benefit of modern animation techniques and it's just great.

It still has strategy and politics, but as I said it is a little simpler, and more sci-fi. It has aliens, telepathy, Godzilla/giant robot-type combat, and more of that side of things, so it's not a complete analog. But I recommend it, anyway. It's a 1-season show, the plot is good and ends satisfactorily.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I should've known there's a reason I've never seen it talked about anywhere. :v:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

LOGH - Overture to a New War

Not Central-Anime so I can't vouch for the quality of the subs (and the encode isn't very good, it's interlaced/telecined and wrong aspect ratio, but that can be corrected).

From what I gather this is a remake/expansion of the first two episodes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

KlavoHunter posted:

Where can I find the soundtracks of this? The music they play for battles is amazing.

Anywhere they sell classical music. :v:

Seriously though. Besides the opening and ending themes, it's all Beethoven, Mahler, Wagner, Hayden, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, and so on.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The action is intermittent, and secondary to the real meat of the show. If you're watching mostly for the action you probably won't be all that satisfied.

It's good payoff, but the buildup and aftermath are usually more important.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ah I see. Still, I don't want to give any false impressions about the pace of the show. It almost never moves very quickly; one might use "deliberate" or "inexorable" to describe it, but I am not sure I would say it ever "picks up" at least by contemporary standards. But that is subjective and I don't know exactly how Mokinokaro meant it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also it should be 110 and not 101 episodes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh yes, I guess the FPA's and Empire's anthems are both original works too, but that was probably more obvious.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hildgrim posted:

Cyborg eyes are quite freaky, yes.

I think you're thinking of Oberstein.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

These are the same Empire and Free Planets box sets that have been out for some time. What's new about these is the file names are in English and not Engrish, which may be worth an upgrade.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Here is the LOGH Theme Collection:

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=48797

First time I've seen that one in FLAC. This doesn't have all of the themes, and the OST box sets do. But only the TV edits, whereas this has full edits and instrumental versions as well. So it may interest some of you.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah it's never really explained outright. I always assumed it was something like the hyperdrives only worked in lanes that followed gravitational paths between stars, and that's why there weren't many routes between the two inhabited spiral arms, and no way around/above. And if you leave those lanes you blow up for some reason.

It's sort of like the hyperdrive in Star Wars, it's so old it's just in the background and no one really feels a need to talk about the principles much.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Purefish posted:

Is all the footage contained in the first two episodes also in the Overture movie? I have never seen LOGH, and would like not to watch the same thing twice. Also, should I watch the OVAs first or after the main series?

Well it's all OVAs technically. But the main 110-episode series is what you should watch first, the others are prequels but they assume you already know a lot of things about the main series, especially Reinhard and Siegfried.

I haven't seen Overture so I can't answer that one.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh man, how come no one told me they finally finished ep. 14 of Spiral Labyrinth? Time to dive back in.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well yeah, I assumed 13 was implicit.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Code Jockey posted:

DON'T MOUSE OVER THIS, IT'S ANOTHER BIG ONE
VVVVVVVVVVV
I made the mistake of reading the TVIV thread, specifically near the end of it, and I caught a glimpse of "I'm not surprised the empire won" by accident. Yeah, that sucked, though after a while I think it's pretty obvious who's going to come out ahead

;)

I would say, in hindsight at least, it's pretty obvious after the Alliance's massive invasion is smashed that, even with Yang, they really don't have the resources to do any better than a losing war of attrition afterward.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It was a visible and physical wall sort of like a force field in at least one episode, wasn't it?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CA is naming each arc separately, it's a little confusing if you're used to thinking of them in terms of seasons.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gary Mitchell posted:

That's about $2338.20 CAD ($2161.40 USD) for the whole series... drat they are serious about their cartoons in Japan. I wonder how much of an improvement the upscale will be over the DVDs, though.

For that price you'd think they could at least make a proper HD remaster from the original animation elements.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gary Mitchell posted:

I've seen websites with people showing off their original animation-cell collections, so I don't think re-animating it frame-by-frame is an option without re-drawing most of it. Unless that's not what you meant -- I really don't know how this stuff works but they would have captured it frame-by-frame onto reels of film, right? Is that what is considered to be the master source? Because in that case, couldn't you just telecine that at higher resolution?

Yeah I guess that was unrealistic on my part. But my point was that they mention using the standard-def masters rather than creating a HD master from the film. It may no longer exist though, as in the DBZ case.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tell me about it, I've been retagging on my own, off and on, but mostly off. I was doing it the thorough way by looking on Wikipedia for index numbers where they're included, to be sure I'm at least getting the name of a piece that actually exists instead of guessing, and also to find the composer when all that's listed is Berlin Philharmonic or something. It's surprisingly time-consuming even if you expect it to take a while.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

This thread, actually. I put it off for a long time though because I knew I didn't want to have to wait for more episodes. I'm somewhat glad for that, to be honest.

Same exactly on all counts, although I can't remember if I found this thread or if someone directed me to it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I could deal with all that if it actually went somewhere. It's a normal dumb space anime, OK, but it felt like all we got was an extended intro to several more seasons that aren't coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think it was during previews, though, but the actual end of the episodes.

Yeah the narration was like "and that was the last time Julian ever saw Yang" or something like that.