Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

In my mind, Reuental and Schenkopp are tied for having the best deaths of the series, with Lutz and Bucock coming in at a tie for a close but definite third. I might be forgetting a glorious death somewhere in there, there are so many to choose from! Someone remind me if I am.

What, are you kidding me? Bucock third? When I go out I hope I am that old and even one tenth that awesome.

Also why are we spoilering these, in true tragic operatic fashion nearly everybody dies by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tytania was the biggest waste of buildup with the least payoff since the Wheel of Time. I mean I enjoyed it for what it was, but the one season we got should've been the intro to a series of LOGH length. It constantly felt like it was just on the verge of going somewhere but it never did.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 22, 2010

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

Don't worry, I am sure it will be a smash hit and that will convince the Japanese and we well get an epic 2nd season right? A guy can hope :smith:

Are there any other recent shows that get you guys your space opera fix, not counting Mecha?

I liked Heroic Age, although that is sort of mecha/kaiju at times, and also I am about the only one in this forum that liked it, so take that for what it is. :v: However if you like thousands of spaceships shooting lasers at each other and don't expect too much more out of it, you might give it a try.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

Also how come LOGH is so progressive in its depiction of nationalities yet there are no Indian guys?! There are Chinese people, Vietnamese people, Brazilians, Africans etc etc but not a single Hindu. Once again Japan's crushing racism oppresses me :(

I'm going to give you the same answer I give in the Star Trek threads: India lost World War III. :v:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Part of it is that both sides have gotten used to the war as just the status quo, and it's politically useful for leadership on both sides. No one actually wants to win the war, just use it for their own advancement or prestige on the imperial side, and increasing authoritarianism on the alliance side. At least that's what I recall from watching it quite a few years ago. That's partly why there's so much resistance to both Reinhard and Yang in the beginning: they're upsetting the apple cart. It's a bit like Star Trek's "A Taste of Armageddon."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Logicblade posted:

It's almost like the deeds of men remain the same, no matter what age it is...

I haven't watched this in probably 10 years, but I cannot describe the chill this one line still sends through my spine.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DamnGlitch posted:

I hate that the guns act like star wars blasters rather than lasers/beams. It feels much less impactful. It turns the valkyrie capital ship sinkings from "holy poo poo" moments to "ok." moments.

Beams are always superior. Like the Death Star tearing through Rebel ships at Endor, and cities in Rogue One. Or even more so, the scene in Babylon 5 where the Shadows first reveal themselves and slice open the Narn ships like a knife through cake. I suppose you could do it with blaster style weapons but I can't see how you'd create such iconic shots.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ok you guys are actually making me want to check this out.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sieg was never gay

What are you talking about? Our culture may be so alienated and hypersexualized that any depiction of real affection between male friends is automatically interpreted as homosexual attraction, but this state of affairs is actually normal and good. You bigot.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

eonwe posted:

im on episode 20 of the series, holy gently caress its good

Episode 20?

Buckle up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well the "harvest season" would be different on each planet.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I just started watching this. It wouldn't be nearly this good without having watched the original... but because I have, and I know what's coming more or less, it's awesome.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Not that this is bad, at all. I have no complaints whatsoever, it's just I'm watching these continually getting chills up my spine because I'm so excited.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

OP of season 1 is giving me serious Macross Plus vibes. This is so much better than I ever expected a remake of this could be.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm almost caught up already, episode 14 right now. I'm surprised they brought in the Earth cult this early - I'm right in remembering that was never brought up until quite a bit later in the original?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't even remember how long ago I watched this. Viewing my post history in this thread tells me 12 years ago, so the particulars are very hazy.

I just hope it doesn't take that long again for them to finish it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll say it, the new opening theme is stuck in my head and I don't want it out. I never skip it and I like it more each time I watch it.

I guess it's been long enough that the redesigns have hardly registered with me. I definitely noticed the difference in names, though, lol.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Is anyone else having trouble with episode 16 on crunchyroll? Last night I chalked it up to technical difficulties, but it's doing the exact same thing tonight, just hangs and fails to load any more near the end of the opening theme. The episode title doesn't show up on the episode select screen either, unlike the other ones on there.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was at least able to watch it via seeking past the part where it hung. May be the crunchyroll app on my Roku I guess.

Also re: episode 17, I hope a coup d'etat never happens here, but if it does I hope I have a fraction of the balls and eloquence of Admiral Bewcock.

The same goes for when he faces Reinhard later on.

:patriot:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

So are you guys on the paid tier of Crunchyroll having any better success than I am lately? All I get is interminable loading screens, trying to watch episode 18 I've had to seek forward a few times again. The ads load and play 100% perfectly so I know it's not my connection.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Or is it just overwhelmed by anime nerds at midnight on a Saturday night. I don't think I'm going to he able to finish this.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That's what I thought, thanks. This is the only show I'm watching so I don't really want to cough up for a subscription, guess I'll just deal with it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Peanut Butler posted:

the biggest issue with LoGH's political commentary is that it presents a binary of authoritarianism vs liberal democracy without acknowledging the spectre hovering in the background, the alternative of Marxist solutions

but you just said it does depict authoritarianism

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

My good lord where is this campaign headed?!

I thought Julian was just going to disappear for a while but now phezzan is occupied and he'll have to escape or lead a resistance! WHY IS THIS SO AWESOME. episode 43 spoilers.

better spoiler tag placement

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The new one is actually pretty good about most of what you're worried about, also it has the best OP theme yet.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I used to really like most of the original's OP themes, until the new show's blew them away in every possible respect

In fact I need to throw that on again right now.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mostly the OPs grow on you because of association with the show and the characters, and themes. Like in a vacuum they're not much to listen to, but when it means LOGH is happening, it takes on a whole new aura.

"In every age, in every place, the deeds of man remain the same." Says so much in so few words. Any music that came after that was going to punch above its weight.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I know what I'm doing tonight.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wow, 24 episodes this time. I know what I'm doing for the next 6 months.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Episode 26: you know I like this show for the space combat and politics, but this episode about Mittermeyer and Reuenthal sitting at the fire talking over drinks is just fine.

Also episode 26, a little later: oh... oh no, is this the one where he...

A little later: yes. Yes it is. :stare:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also genuinely lol'd at Mittermeyer's father inside the window.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Winifred Madgers posted:

Episode 26: you know I like this show for the space combat and politics, but this episode about Mittermeyer and Reuenthal sitting at the fire talking over drinks is just fine.

Also episode 26, a little later: oh... oh no, is this the one where he...

A little later: yes. Yes it is. :stare:

Though my memory of the original was that it was a rape, not a murder, that he executed one of the noble officers for, is that a change or just my memory playing tricks?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

kirtar posted:

Nah it was the same reason as in the reboot, just we actually see it on screen instead of VO narration only. I seem to remember that he also executed a bunch of soldiers on Heinessen, and it might have been that

Thats probably it. I'm sure it was involved in at least one scenario because I sharply remember that was why Mittermeyer instantly became one of my favorites. Not that I'm gung-ho about summary executions but in the case of catching an officer in the act of heinous crimes like killing an unarmed civilian, or rape he's unambiguously the good guy, and doubly for the cultural context he's in.

Takes No Damage posted:

I haven't watched any of the new show yet (worth it?)

Yes. It's a different beast in some ways, telling the same tale slightly differently, but it works very well and they complement each other, I would say.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I didn't fully appreciate how long it's been since I watched the original until I got going onto this scheme of Schaft's with Geiersburg Fortress, and I realized I don't actually remember whether this was even a thing at all.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Has anyone been watching the remake? There's a couple of character focus episodes I don't remember in the OVA that I liked.

Yeah, I've been saying lately that LOGH is two of my top 3 shows of all time.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

What’s the general verdict on the new anime at this point?

I can't speak to general, but speaking specifically for myself, it's good.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

After 15 years of persuasion I finally got a friend to try Die Neue These this spring. I knew he would like it but I had to use a light touch, he's the kind of guy (like me) who automatically resists the hard sell. But after one or two episodes he also ordered the books.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

where's Mel Blanc when you need him

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Elmer Fudd. "Be vewy, vewy quiet. We're hunting for a pwopaganda victowy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I guess I don't because now I'm very confused

We're talking about voices for a dub, but Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner cartoons in general, have no dialogue. Hence the username, apparently.