Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Holy crap, I can't believe I didn't check this series out sooner. LoGH is incredible and amazing and lots of other positive adjectives I could keep adding for paragraphs. Now I just have to wait for the rest of these torrents to finish to see more. Thank you for making this thread exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to figure out why the "Alliance" kanji are at the start. Is he residing on the Alliance side? The rest of it seems to be alright, good job sorting all of that out.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

quote:

Defiler came out of the closet to say:
Yeah, he's been assigned as 'viceroy' of the Alliance; the scene takes place on Heinessen.

Also, while we're here.. Franz von Mariendorf has a scene earlier on Odin (capital of the Empire), and his title is given as:
国務尚書 (kokumu naoga??)
..which I've managed to extract "Provisional Secretary of State" from.. but I might be wrong. He's just finished arranging a banquet, so maybe it's more like "Secretary for State Affairs"?
Kokumu Naoga looks correct. I had no luck running this through any of my normal Japanese reference sites, so I tried a few Chinese ones, and came up with one result for "High official". I think Secretary of State Affairs would work best. It doesn't seem to be a real title; when I ran a Google search on it, just about every hit came from Japanese LOGH webpages.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hopping on the torrent now. I'll PM you with any correctable areas I spot.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'd like to get these torrents if someone could post working links. The ones posted above are no longer there.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

quote:

eXXon came out of the closet to say:

I just clicked on them now and they worked :?:
Huh, I was about to explain that they weren't for me, but I went back and tried them again and they work fine now.

See you guys in a month when all these torrents finally finish. :(

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just finished watching the HK subs all the way up to 110.

I don't think I'll ever get to see a show that can top this one. That's really all I can say about it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

quote:

eXXon came out of the closet to say:
So much awesome drama in so many episodes. And even though they killed off my two favourite characters and then some, I still found it satisfying. The only complaint I had for the whole series was some of the tiresome and repetitive tactics used by Yang's fleet - I was rolling my eyes when they decided to board the Grunehild again, but fortunately nothing stupid came out of that.
At least they didn't lure the Imperial fleet into the Thor Cannon's firing range in the last battle. I was glad to see the Neue Reich had learned its lesson in that regard, however long it might have taken them to do so.

I was satisfied with how the series ended, although the demise of the Terra Church felt rather rushed after the enormous amount of buildup that had led to it. The entire church plot seemed pretty unrealistic to me - how feasible could it really be to keep thousands upon thousands of drugged fanatical followers on such a tight leash? They hinted at fermenting disputes and discontentment, then just dropped the matter entirely. Julian and the Iserlohn gang got a huge amount of information on them, but never actually put it any of it to practical use. The same could also be said of Mecklinger.

The Rubinsky/bomb thing also seemed pretty contrived.

Most of the time I watched the show I was rooting for the Reich commanders, so I was sad to see Fahrenheit and Reuentahl go. Reuental's last moments moved me to tears. I was glad to see Mittermeier get a happy ending out of the entire mess in the end, though.

Oberstein played the role of devil's advocate right up to his very last moments, and that impressed me a lot. Now that I've moved on to watching GoShogun, I can't listen to Bundol's voice without hearing Oberstein talking.

For the Iserlohn folks, the only deaths that really upset me were those of Yang Wen-li and Walter von Schenkopf. Mashengo's catchphrase irritated me from the start because it was painfully obvious that it would ultimately end that way.

If there's any lesson I've taken from watching this show, it's that any scene with drama or tension can be made a hundred times more awesome just by breaking a wineglass. Empty or full, thrown or dropped, a breaking wineglass is just the thing to really get people's attention.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes, they're passable. They get the occasional name, number, or grammatical phrasing wrong, but all in all they're very readable and easy to understand the gist of.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Okay, I just started watching Gaiden, side 1, all about Young Reinhard and Kircheis and their adventures in the military before becoming famous. I don't really think discussing this merits spoiler tags because it's all prequel material anyway, but just in case someone disagrees(and since this thread has had enough accidental mouseover casualties as it is), I'll spoiler most of this.

I'm up to the third episode, where Reinhard stabs an ICICLE through a guy's neck and BREAKS IT OFF, god drat that was hardcore. But the scene where he sprays the Alliance soldiers with fire extinguisher spray to freeze them solid, then they shatter had me going :wtf:. Come on, freezing the SUITS solid I can see, but their entire bodies? My suspension of disbelief can take a lot but this is kind of pushing it.

Nonetheless, I am newly in love with the series again. No sooner did the first episode finish playing the OP and go to a panning scene, than came the triumphant sound of someone throwing a wineglass to the floor in a fit of rage. I got exactly what I came for in the first 3 seconds of the first episode.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I finished the Gaiden OVAs yesterday. Those were great; Just more of the same material I was already used to in LOGH, which is exactly what I wanted. The mystery aspects were fun too.

I also watched Golden Wings, which I did not like at all, and in fact actively disliked. The new designs were crap, the story was bland and unoriginal, and everything about it was generally dull and predictable. Instead of it being about Reinhard doing something unconventional, unique, or especially perceptive as a commander, it was just "Oh, Reinhard's a good commander, so the fleet's okay!" :rolleyes: Don't waste your time with this if you're already used to the main series' quality, because Golden Wings does not even come close to matching it in style or substance.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

noob saibot posted:

I grabbed the hong-kong subs of this series a few months ago, and finally finished it after watching an ep or two almost every day. All I'll say is here's to Yang loving Wenli and Reinhard Von loving Lohengramm. :cheers:

Amen to that. :love:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Robot Bastard posted:

Who is the girl with red hair? Julian says that he's seen her before, but where was that?

He hasn't seen her before. She just seems familiar because she's related to someone he knows, and he can't quite place it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Robot Bastard posted:

(and I wish that people who saw stuff that CA hasn't released yet would keep their dicks in their pants.)

We're discussing the further developments with 99% of everything we say spoilered, so I don't see what the problem is. We saw awesome plot developments that we are eager to discuss over the Internet with other people who saw those developments, in a thread about the series which we are discussing. :confused:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
A friend of mine sent me this fan-made movie, and I found it pretty hilarious.

Super Legend of the Galactic Heroes Wars

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Robot Bastard posted:

Heh. Do they actually use Shostakovich in the series? (My high-school marching band did that piece my first year, and it is imprinted on my DNA.)

I don't know, but if you're interested, there are comprehensive lists of every piece of classical music used in seasons 1 and 2 here and here.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

CuLT posted:

:cry:

Why don't they make anime like this anymore? This is fantastic.

No goddamn :3 faces, cat ears, chibi sequences, in-jokes with the audience, emo "heroes"...

Don't forget characters whose faces and hair are drawn with more than 5 strokes' worth of lines.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Thank you for this, it's much appreciated. :love:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Robot Bastard posted:

Well, anyone who saw that "Super LOGH Wars" video now knows that there is at least one cool guy that the Alliance has yet to show us...and he must be really cool, because he gets his own action portrait a la Reinhardt and Seigfried.

That's Bruce Ashbey. You won't see any mention of him until you watch the LOGH Gaiden OVA series, which is almost as good as the TV series, and has a lot of really interesting background stories. :)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Man of Wax posted:

Can I watch the gaiden series before getting to the end of the main series?

Yes, you can. The Gaiden series is a set of prequels/side stories which give away nothing about the main plot. They exist in order to flesh out central characters and give more details for their backstory than the main series did.

The first half of the series focuses on Reinhard and Kircheis's early days as young officers' school graduates, and their subsequent rise through the ranks. Afterwards, you get to see more of Yang's experiences with El Facile, and a rather fascinating story about Yang doing historical research on a legendary genius Alliance commander who died years before Yang's time.

When I started watching them, I was afraid they wouldn't have the same feel as the main series. But then, the very first thing I heard upon starting up the first episode was the sound of a wineglass being thrown to the floor and shattering - I felt reassured after that. :D

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Man of Wax posted:

Yeah, I know that both of them are straight

Not in the lovely Golden Wings movie! :v:

Now I sort of wish I hadn't deleted that movie in a fit of irritation after sitting through it once. Then I could at least produce some screenshots of any one of the multiple moments featuring Reinhard running his fingers through Kircheis's hair ever-so-gently. It's ridiculous, though not quite as hilariously over-the-top gay as the main antagonist, who looks like a drag queen in uniform.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

adante posted:

hi guys, I am thinking of getting in to this - could somebody quickly tell me though, is this a series which has a lot of padding, or scenes with generally a whole lot of nothing going on?

LoGH has some rave reviews but this sort of thing is annoyingly common in anime, so I have to ask.

reason being is I have the attention span of a gnat. So unfortunately I can't be bothered putting up with anime like this anymore. Does LoGH have this sort of thing?

sorry if this has been answered, I scanned the first 3 pages but didn't go any further than that.

This is generally not a show for people with short attention spans, but no, there isn't a lot of unnecessary padding. The only stock footage they use is during major fleet battles. There are also next to zero flashbacks, and absolutely no recaps. Even in the episodes where they go over past events, they manage to make it interesting and unique, showing you a new component of the story instead of just rehashing things you already know.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sorry for the non-update bump, but this cosplay was too awesome to ignore:

http://www.cospa.com/comunity/cf_wf06win/nkm/15-1.html

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Too bad it's Son May, but the legit box is probably long since out of print anyway.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I saw a manga that was at least 13 volumes long in a Book-Off, but I already had too many books at the time and the art didn't look too hot, so I passed it over.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh hey!

Episode 90!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Uberfrog posted:

There are two movies, and two full seasons' worth of prequels. We're about two-thirds of the way through, timewise.

I note that Uberfrog only mentions the two proper movies here. This is good, because the other movie is really, really bad, and pretty much takes a poo poo upon everything that makes the series good.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Galewolf posted:

I remember watching it in 95 on one of the non cable national tv here

Wow, where was this? And was this in raw Japanese, or subtitled, or dubbed into another language?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's really awesome stuff, very interesting to know.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Here's another! Yang Wenli and Reinhard von Lohengram vs. the Bodolza Fleet from Macross: Do You Remember Love. This is how it SHOULD be.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Legend of the Galactic Haruhi:

Ep 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_vX--DO2AE

Ep 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyoFgW3A_MI

Ep 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwCCZJYnUiM

Ep 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ITE9GuJRQ

Ep 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGIl5ZNb-n8

Ep 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY80B_qcANU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's Haruhi Suzumiya footage mixed with LOGH footage to create epic fleet battles.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Robot Bastard posted:

On the other hand, Japanese property owners tend to have insane ideas about licensing fees. "Oh, the standard fee is 2000 Yen per episode. Yes, LOGH is over a hundred episodes; what's the problem? Just charge more money!"

Hahaha try 2000 dollars per episode. And that's still lowballing it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I don't suppose there's been any word on if Central Anime is going to follow-up by subbing LOGH Gaiden as well?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes, a large number of the named characters wind up being quite interesting. Just bear with it while they sit there giving you names and then expecting you to remember them when that guy shows up ten episodes later, and you will be rewarded.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I agree with this complaint, actually. I've shown the series to a couple of pretty intelligent friends who go for this sort of stuff, and they were both put off by the sheer number of names and faces they throw at you early on.

Viewer: "Who is this person, and why should I care what his name is?"
Show: "I'm NOT TELLING! Ha ha. And there's no telling when this person will show up again! Maybe in two episodes, maybe in twelve!"

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes, Reinhard's name and title are plot points throughout the show.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm guessing this game doesn't have a non-sim mode where you can control a guy in axe combat hacking through endless waves of grunts. Or shattering wineglasses. Please tell me I'm wrong because that would be so cool.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Argon-40 posted:

I've got a question from about episode 25-ish (I'm at episode 30 now):

It's a Japanese thing. You'll see this in a lot of Japanese shows where disasters go down on the leader's watch, and the leader willingly takes full blame even though it's not his fault. It happens a lot in Code Geass, too. The idea is that by pointing the finger at someone else, whether correctly or not, you're shirking responsibility and being whiny, so the noble thing to do is to take all the blame, regardless of who really deserves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Nate RFB posted:

More like they have no concept of supply and demand.

From what I was told by some Japanese coworkers living there who are familiar with this, the logic on Japanese R2 anime DVD prices goes like so. Their purchase data indicates that X number of people are guaranteed to buy something at whatever price they set. So they set it at a ridiculous price on the assumption that it will sell X copies, and if it happens to sell more copies after that core group buys it, then it's just an added bonus. They really don't care past that point.