Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Kagari Mafia Ringleader and ray tracing EXPERT
LoGH is one of the greatest shows ever and Yang Wenli is the greatest character in anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Pretend 54 is the last episode and it had the worst ending ever. ;__;

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

quote:

FronzelNeekburm came out of the closet to say:
Since we have no Crest/Banner/Battleflag of the Stars thread anymore, I will stealthily point out here that there is a fourth Banner of the Stars novel coming out on the 22nd.

This is excellent news.

AWESOME SPACE ANIME THREAD.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

quote:

froobly came out of the closet to say:
Lohengramm is Hitler. Discuss.

Too benevolent at least through episode 56.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

quote:

eXXon came out of the closet to say:

He certainly is devious, depending on what you define him as deviating from. From Reinhard's instructions, certainly, and I think his propensity for cold-hearted intrigue further qualifies him. But yes, it is that ruthless efficiency that I like best. No need for miracles like Yang or any of the gimmicks displayed by other admirals ( Mittermeier's BLAZING SPEED or Schenkopp's AXE WIELDING ROSE KNIGHTS OF DOOM ), just an exacting mind and an awesome false eye.

Speaking of which, I am continuing to be displeased by the way the series is going (eps 70+), the Alliance forces keep getting one deus ex machina after the other, some being just plain nonsensical (hey look! solar wind! except it only happens to buffet and destroy imperial ships!) while I've all but forgotten about what made Reinhard such a great leader in the first place, since he is perpetually asking for advice and handing out assignments to his subordinates. Not that such actions are unexpected, but all the same, he's been more of an imposing figurehead than a crafty strategist.

Another thing I don't really understand about Yang's vendetta against the Emperor, possibly due to my having watched the first half of the series more than 2 years ago: in the early going, Yang was waxing philosophical about his role in fighting the Empire and then Reinhard. Lately, however, he seems to be all about DEMOCRACY and FREEDOM and (partly due to the lovely subs) really doesn't seem to have got across exactly why he was so motivated to fight against Reinhard - particularly since he seemed to be such an unwilling participant in the Alliance's army in the first place, although that may have been just due to his modesty. He does say around ep 73 or so:

SPOILERS BLAH BLAH SPOILERS

It is precisely because Reinhard is a good emperor that he must be defeated. Nonetheless he admits later that he does not want to kill him either.

Honestly, I thought when the Alliance capitulated to the Empire that Yang would actually retire if only for a few years, and not take such an active role in the resistence - particularly since Reinhard's empire showed itself to be more gracious and forgiving than the Alliance. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something about his ideals then. Julian also points out that the Empire would have cultivated Yang's talent such that he would've been the Emperor, whereas the Alliance stifled and repressed personal ability, and Yang just shrugs that off. I really didn't think he was such an admirer of democracy above all else, I figured he would've been more accepting of the pacifying nature of Reinhard's galactic empire.

Yang said, much earlier in the series when posed this question by Julian or someone else, that a dishonest democracy is better than a benevolent monarchy because with a democracy, at least you can vote to change your ruler. With an empire, you're stuck with the emperor's heir, for better or for worse, usually worse. That's been his belief for the entire series, and I'm surprised you never noticed it, or just forgot about it since it's been so long.