Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

Defiler came out of the closet to say:
I have up to 78 or so, but the last couple dozen need some time in the script editing EZ-bake oven. I've already got the rips done, if someone would like to volunteer. I just haven't had time.
Why not see if CA could use your material? If not, let me know. I'll probably have some free time coming up.

We all used to mock LoGH. "All kids loathe LOGH!" we cried, and "What is this, episode 94702: 'nothing much happens part XVIII'?" Then, after I started playing Battlefleet Gothic, and read David Drake and David Weber, I realized that LoGH was actually pretty cool.

Also, Yang Wenli is the character that Captain Tylor should have been, but wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
I'm interested in seeing where this whole Earth-Religion thing is going. On the other hand we have something like fifty more episodes to sort it out...

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
The link was there...BUT NOT ANY MORE!!

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

Man Loner came out of the closet to say:
Karl Gustav Kempf
I like the way that everyone in the entire galaxy knew what to do, except for him.

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 23, 2005

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

Man of Wax came out of the closet to say:
This is the most blatant prune-protection bump in the history of man. Central-Anime claims they have not given up, but they sure as poo poo aren't doing anything to prove it.
Seriously. If this is the best your translator can do, then get another loving translator.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

Specineff came out of the closet to say:
Does anyone else love the sappy ending sequence? The early one, I don't know if it changes.
It changes, but don't worry; it's still sappy. (The OP changes too and is rather cool.)

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

Specineff came out of the closet to say:
I get the impression that Julian is going to play some pivotal role in the story at some point in the far future, which is cool.
I keep thinking, based on the opening, that he's going to turn out to be related to Reinhardt in some way.

quote:

I am extremely pleased with the depth of the show's story so far (up to episode 32) and excited about possibilities it has.
It's interesting, actually, to see an "open-ended" OVA series like this. Most of the time, an OVA series is "here is an episode to introduce all the character, here is the 'middle' episode, and this is the SHOCKING CONCLUSION, thanks for watching". LoGH is long-term enough that each little bit of the story can get its moment.

I have to say, LoGH wouldn't be too hard to re-do today. Given the advances in computer graphics, it would be pretty convincing. And it could be made pretty inexpensively, which means that a small and dedicated fan-base could keep it running with direct-to-video sales...it's just a dream, but maybe we're going to start seeing a resurgence of the Original Video Series, now that professional-looking production is so cheap?...

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

Heibi came out of whatever hole he hides in to say:
Just so you all know, I'm concentrating on getting Touch TV done. I do have some LoGH to release in June once I actually make the translation corrections I received from Hiro. And once we hit the mystic number 60 in translation corrections, everything will go faster.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Interesting...

http://www.iserlohn.com/logh-rw/index.html

(this is the LoGH DVD. Apparently they are re-doing some of the animation.)

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 3, 2005

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

Man Loner came out of the closet to say:
What is going on here?
"Error: File Not Found", apparently.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

Man of Wax came out of the closet to say:
edit3: From the Central Anime forums "Those are the HK DVD rips with the new added CG footage and english soft sub."
Un-written addendum: "please don't quit on us guys we'll have the next episode up really REALLY SOON i SWEAR TO GOD i MEAN IT THIS TIME unlike the other 34,782 times DON'T STOP DOWNLOADING ps Touch! eps 402-478 are out now"

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Oh, PS: It's pretty loving funny that CA is trashing other people's subs, given what I remember of their work from the mid-nineties.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

The next 2 are encoding. I leave again to the lovely desert again at the end of July. We plan on having a slow trickle of LOGH ready and the Touch movies ready for release while I'm away.
Ah-ha. This makes sense now. While he's around, he can just promise us jam tomorrow. If he's not going to be around to promise us jam tomorrow, we'll all forget about CA, so he better have something to keep us interested...

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

eXXon came out of the closet to say:
So far the series has avoided appearing contrived, but this practically screams 'lazy writing'.
This would hardly be the first time that Yang pulls something out of his rear end and it just happens to be exactly what's needed to save the day..

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

quote:

eXXon came out of the closet to say:
Yeah, but the fact that they gave such a lame strategy for the recapturing of the most badass fortress ever is really irritating.
I agree that for the most powerful Death Star Rip-Off in the galaxy, this key piece in the defense strategy of the entire Empire seems awfully easy to take over.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
On the other hand, Oberstein seems to be more loyal to the idea of Emperor Reinhardt, than to the man himself. He would (and, in fact, did) say "the Emperor has said that he doesn't want me to do this, but he doesn't know how important it is that it be done. I will do it anyway and not tell him. It's okay, because it will make him be Emperor, and that's more important than anything else."

I could see Reinhardt deciding that he doesn't want to be Emperor after all, and Oberstein blackmailing him into doing it anyway...

Oberstein reminds me of a quote, I think it was from "The X-Files" about Fox Mulder.

quote:

He's one of the most dangerous men in the world. Not because he does what he thinks is right, but because he does what he thinks fate forces him to do.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Mother fucker, I just picked the wrong drat spoiler tag to roll over. I haven't been this pissed since an inadvertent page-down in a "Final Fantasy 7" walk-through.

quote:

Uberfrog came out of the closet to say:
I wouldn't mind if they were done faster, but what's wrong with one episode a week ?
Nothing. His point was that pretty soon they'll run out of episodes and it's going to be another six-month wait for their translator to get his poo poo together.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

krunaldo posted:

I guess this is why LoGH is so good, you never know who is going to live or die.
Unless you happen to mouse over the wrong spoiler. :cry:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
GOD drat IT I NEED TO STOP READING THESE SPOILERS AAARRRGGH

Actually, to tell the truth I just need to stop reading this thread entirely.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
OOokay, after a marathon catch-up session (pity me, I have to watch LoGH for eight hours straight!) I'm ...well, caught-up.

I have to say, it's inspiring to see a show that will throw over the status quo like this. It's got the usual "implausible plot device comes out of nowhere to save the main character's rear end"...but in this case it's the nominal bad guy who gets saved.

Who is the girl with red hair? Julian says that he's seen her before, but where was that?

Episode 56: Did anyone else catch a glimpse of Captain Gloval in the "Space Defense Force" picture? Also, that history program has some wacky set design. The planets of the Solar System on big sticks, rising out of cloud-like structures that turn into the figures of female nudes...was this done by the same guy who does the openings for James Bond movies?

I don't think that we're going to have to wait very long for things to get moving. The first half of the series took place over three years...

Art! Ships! Is there any kind of resource that lists (and describes) all the different ships used in this series? It seems like every time we see something, it's the first time we've seen it.

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 16, 2005

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Hokuto posted:

He hasn't seen her before. She just seems familiar because she's related to someone he knows, and he can't quite place it.
Ah. I think I see where that one's going, then. Gee, let's think of who Julian has met in the past, who has red hair and a Germanic name...

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Nichol posted:

drat you I hope those spoilers are real spoilers because I've decided not to read any more of them after the 'Kirchies incident...
The ones I've blanked out aren't huge spoilers, but believe me there are some whoppers elsewhere in the thread.

Really, it's best to just stay out of the thread until you're caught up (and I wish that people who saw stuff that CA hasn't released yet would keep their dicks in their pants.)

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Someone has WAY too much time on their hands. But I would buy a PS2 and mod it to play this game.

Heh. Do they actually use Shostakovich in the series? (My high-school marching band did that piece my first year, and it is imprinted on my DNA.)

Gale Wolf, NOOOOOOO!!! (oooh, nice save Reuental!)

Yang Wenli's attack is AWESOME! (Well, of course--Yang Wenli is awesome!)

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Hokuto posted:

I don't know, but if you're interested, there are comprehensive lists of every piece of classical music used in seasons 1 and 2 here and here.
Thanks!

Huh. And there's no Shostakovich on that list...(no Holst either, which is surprising, I'd think "Mars", "Jupiter", or "Mercury" would fit very well into LoGH...maybe I could make a music video?)

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Yan-teitoku, HASSHIN!

Hey, quick question. I see that for 33-36, the batch torrent doesn't create its own subdirectory. Is that true for all the rest of the torrents?

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 10, 2006

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Cute, a "Maison Ikkoku" reference. Or do all Japanese housewives have aprons like that?

Oh, and

Yowza.

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 11, 2006

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Daryl Surat posted:

Episode 60 eh? Oh dear.

This thread is about to E-X-P-L-O-D-E.
So that ending was more than just a metaphor?

PS I like how the Chrysler corporation is still making cars in the 35th Century, or whenever it is that this is supposed to be happening.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Yes, my earlier speculation about Julian's GUUURLFRIEND was totally wrong, as it turns out. The red hair wasn't as much of a clue as I had thought.

Also, as for Piyo-Piyo, remember that this is a mid-eighties anime. I'm sure that a more modern series would have had Yang shacking up with the entire bridge crew of the Hyperion, and they'd all be hot chicks.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Man of Wax posted:

Actually, LoGH began in '88 and ended in '97. Season three, which we are on, was '94-'95. I guess the books were written earlier though and, even if they weren't, a lot of today's Japanese would still identify with that fantasy.
Dammit, I'm making a funny joke about harem anime! Just say "ha ha" and move on!

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Num Lock posted:

That’s how I would have done it anyway; this series doesn't have enough tragedy in my opinion.
From what other people have been saying, it sounds as though we're about to get as much as you'd like.

quote:

So what does "Piyo-Piyo" mean anyway?
In "Maison Ikkoku" (a comedy/romance by the creator of "Ranma 1/2") the female lead is perpetually wearing an apron with a baby chick and "PIYO PIYO" embroidered on it. Jessica is wearing a similar apron in episode 60.

edit: Here's something I was wondering...did the Imperials order that the Alliance fleet discharge all the women in service? I notice that the Imperial fleet is all guys (although it's not as though the Alliance fleet is full of women, either.)

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Oh Schenkopp, you and your zany antics!

PS did they switch animation teams? Next episode looks different. I don't recall Yang having such a long nose...

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Uberfrog posted:

Schenkopp knows that as the leader of the Rosenritter, his head along with the ones of his outfit would be the first to be offed if there's any trouble with the Empire, as had been said in the episode.
Really, I'm surprised that they haven't just done it already, although I guess the politics are complicated (after all, the Rosenritter fled the Goldenbaum Dynasty, and the current Empire regime sprang up in opposition to that. From a certain point of view, Lohengramm and the Rosenritter are on the same side...

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Daryl Surat posted:

"ALL the cool people are in the Empire and the Alliance has like, NOBODY except for like Yang and a few of his friends."
Well, anyone who saw that "Super LOGH Wars" video now knows that there is at least one cool guy that the Alliance has yet to show us...and he must be really cool, because he gets his own action portrait a la Reinhardt and Seigfried.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Just once I'd like to see Yang Wenli do something like this:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?Scale=0&MacroType=MulMed&SeriTxt1=heldensagen&Dis=-2&GenreCode=All

Most of them are discontinued, though... :sigh:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Nichol posted:

Those are kind of cool but what I really want is H-manga.
Um...why? I mean...I understand why you would want H-manga, I mean who doesn't, but why a LoGH doujinshi?

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Question: There is apparently a "LoGH Technical File", and http://www.tvc-15.com/ apparently has something to do with publishing it. It was quite some time ago, but I was wondering if someone who can read Japanese could poke around and see if they could find the book.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
LoGH: The RPG would probably do best as a sourcebook for another game system. The characters aren't particularly superhuman. Indeed, you don't even necessarily need to give game stats at all! Just do a "Big Book Of LoGH" and let gamers work the details for themselves.

However, I think that the big issue would be the fleet combat. I've had some ideas in that direction, but I've never bothered to formalize them. Basically, the "character" is the commander of a division, and the division is filled out with no-name ships. The division moves and fires as a single unit. As a character gains experience, he can add more (and larger) ships to his division, and he also might get special abilities.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Pierson posted:

I'd love to get into this as it's the last show on my Big List 'O Stuff To Watch but I'm leery about getting into another show full of unseeded torrents and no sources on hubs after I had to wait ten days to download a single early episode of GGG back in the day. Is there a site I can download all these from?
a.scarywater.net seems to be active for every CA fansubbed episode, and there's probably some active torrents of the HK stuff out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
From the looks of things, the armor that the Panzergrenadiers (or the Rosenritter) wear is entirely bulletproof, so there wouldn't be much point in shooting at them. Also, everyone seems to throw Zephyr particles around all the time, so shooting would make everything blow up.