Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

While it's not shown, I always thought that given the 'historical documentary' nature of the series, Reinhard or Mittermeyer's son or one of their descendants ends up uniting the human empire and leading the golden age of humanity with a consitutional monarchy and the whole LOGH becomes part of their history.

I think most of Reinhard's entourage value a system of meritocracy and would support the Kaiserine on that fact but as the history shows, there's no guarantee that their children would support the same system.

I always thought that the series implied that democracy can always fail/be corrupted although there is the still that possibility that things can change or it's up to the people themselves to ensure that democracy and politics will never get to that stage whereas with a dictatorship, even a benevolent one, the option to change society is never available.

My thoughts are this: the series posits that autocracy can be the fastest, most effective way to CHANGE society. Democracy, for it's flaws, is the best way to MAINTAIN a society. In BOTH systems, it is the responsibility of the people to correct the wrongs; with autocracy it must be violent, but in democracy, the only failures are ones the people are directly responsible for.

It seemed implied, to me, that at some point the Empire would go democratic, or at least begin to move away from autocracy. But it doesn't give any assurances one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The_Guy posted:

The best thing about LOGH is that he's right.

it's just a shame he gets boneitis.

I've always thought that a benevolent and eternal dictatorship would trump pretty much any sort of democracy, but then I realized outside of robots the only eternal dictatorial figure is Jesus Christ and that's sort of a let down.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

duck monster posted:

Does anyone else get the impression that underlying the basic dynamic here of a ruthless yet surprisingly humane empire vs a corrupt but well intentioned democracy, is a bit of a reflection on Japan itself coming to terms with its own history. I've heard a lot of japanese people express the opinion that its own emperor pre WW-II was basically a good guy who lead his invasions out of some sort of noble liberation cause. I'm not sure history actually supports that diagnosis at all, but its one I understand a lot of japan feels. Theres just a lot of interesting parallells here. A modern japan that would justifyably see its democracy as roughly a good thing but really loving broken in some fundamental ways, a history of imperialism underwritten by a reflective rose tint of high ideals, and the experience of being under occupation. Unlike Germany that took its post-war plight pretty much as "gently caress the past, the New Germany is a super progressive wonderland and the old germany is poo poo and evil", Japan has struggled with self doubt and regret over the outcome of its war and a fear that its westernisation will crush its traditional values. Its like there are two souls of japan politically and they want to kill each other, yet each soul contains the seed of the other. I might be rambling, and ultimately literature criticism really doesnt speak of much except the critic, but I can see a huge amount of a definately japanese line of political reflection here, despite the fact its historical references seem on the surface deeply indebted to european rather than japanese history.

I'm pretty sure you could apply it to just about any democracy. Look at where we are right now. If the first 10 episodes aren't intensely anti-iraqi war I don't know what is, and it came out 10 years before that at least. The series is, if not internally examining like you suggest, extremely prescient.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kneel Before Zog posted:

So are there any really cool fights in this? Like melee on one one combat type fights between two bad asses or is this like the ASOIAF of anime where its all political intrigue.

It aint gonna go all fuckin naruto in this bitch but there are a couple ground fights that are hilariously less sound looking than the relatively sophisticated space naval battles.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno if the Empire was being portrayed as above reproach as a lot of people seem to think it was.

I don't think anything in the series was shown as beyond reproach. Even Yang had things about him that weren't perfect.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Like any torrent just stay on and seed back what you take, it's not a huge deal. As for ratios, if you let it get really bad there might be some sort of consequence, but as far as I know unless you get involved with the community there (why) I don't think you have to worry too much about ratio dick waving.

I cant remember if bakabt has a credit system. I seem to recall being able to 'donate' to improve your ratio, but that might have been a different site.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nah, the ships would just look different and be designed to generate gravity by rotation.

Yeah. Artificial gravity is more or a less a cop out so they can design the ships the way they like without having to worry about how the design would reflect a rotational gravity model.

I was already pretty pleased with the idea that Empire ships will land on a loving planet but that Free Worlds use drop ships because their ships aren't designed for it. You can see the difference in military philosophy from it pretty good.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pandub posted:

It's starting to seem like Reinhard and Siegfried may be more than just friends and may be romantically involved. There have been plenty of "longing" and affectionate looks given between the two. Of course, it could just be a case of "hobbit love" like Sam and Frodo where they acted like lovers but weren't...we shall see.

They are space bros. If anything it's a vaguely homoerotic (not homosexual love) relationship you see in other major nautical works, most importantly moby dick.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Wow, the change in style in episode 37 is pretty dramatic. I figured a 110 episode show that was released over 9 years would probably change a bit over time, but not all at once.

And I think I liked it better before, honestly. It looks a bit too much like a Disney movie now.

It's an OVA so it was released in chunks.

I only notice quality changes when I go back, and thats because the walk sequences from the early episodes are loving ridiculous.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pandub posted:

I just finished up episode 17. The show pretty much has its claws around me now, and I am really enjoying it.

As for recent developments:

Alliance: The Alliance is proving to be quite incompetent in battles so far. The only reason they still have any ships is because of Yang. This Job Trunicht guy seems like trouble. His scheming with the Alliance invasion of the Empire benefiting him politically leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He basically used 20 million human lives to further his own political career. Now Julian is in the armed services. So far, this character annoys me. He seems to bring very little to the table. To be honest I though Julian was a girl for a very long time until someone around episode 10 used a masculine pronoun to refer to him. Maybe with him being in the military now his character will develop a bit more and bring me around on him.

Empire: Talk about random: "Oh by the way guys, the Emperor just died." And am I the only one who while watching this show is having trouble remembering who is who in the Empire? I keep getting the names Littenheim and Lichtenlade confused. These German names do not make easy.

And finally, now a religious cult is emerging. I have a feeling that terrorism can not be far behind.

now think of how jaded you'd be about this if it didn't come out way way WAY before 9/11? It is eerily, disgustingly prescient.

You'll get to know the Empire side names in time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

Religious terrorism is as old as dirt. It may not have been at the front of everyone's mind before 9/11, but anyone remotely interested in, well, the world would be intimately familiar with it for the last half century at least.

And honestly, the depiction of religious extremism is the most stupid and shallow part of LoGH. I mean, you can look at the big picture and see people being unreasonably violent for apparently petty reasons and... yeah, if you squint, that might look the kind of like real religious extremism looks to the nonbeliever. But it just doesn't work that way.

The robes and torches, the purely evil masterminds, and the purely mindless followers... The whole thing was a cartoon, which was incredibly jarring and inappropriate in this of all shows.

If anyone could make any sense of how they're supposed to be at all believable or interesting, I'd love to hear it, as to me they're the one downright idiotic part of this otherwise perfect show, and it'd be nice if I was just missing something about them.

I wasn't talking about religious fundamentalists, although it is a good theme of terrorism loving things up for everyone. I was thinking more about the pointless war led by politicians who have actively avoided service, calling for patriotism, eroding of democratic ideals.

I dunno it was striking to me anyway when I watched it. The terraists were kinda silly but I liked the idea behind it at least that Earth, which is out of the way and not in any way a central hub would resort to terrorism to continue to shape galactic affairs is pretty slick. Some of how they portrayed them was pretty heavy handed though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Torrents there tend to get swapped rather often for 'better quality' ones. And there is apparently a somewhat rigorous approval process for new torrents / replacement torrents, so I wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared on occasion.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kircheis posted:

The flurry of recent posts has inspired me to start re-watching the series, since the last time I did so, CA hadn't quite finished, so I've still never seen the last few episodes, and I haven't watched the Gaidens.

So the question is - do I watch them all in production order, or should I try to watch them in chronological order?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Legend_of_the_Galactic_Heroes_episodes#Chronological_order_of_episodes

I would skip Gaiden because they are boring and drawn out

:goonsay:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

It just seemed to elevate him to 'cartoon supervillain' levels of evil. I felt the tone (or maybe just the execution) was different than the rest of the series.

Yeah that was kind of dorky. Rubinsky and the depiction of the terraists were the weak point of the series, even if some of the concepts are sound. The idea that Yang holds that terrorism cannot shape history is highlighted pretty boldly by the show as one of his most obvious mistakes and it's powerful. It's just a shame that it had to be done be dehumanized cartoon cultists, and not people who had been whipped into a frenzy

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I would highly, highly recommend avoiding the thread til you are done. Also, the episode titles (which are often revealed at the end of the episode for ironic or dramatic purposes, and can gently caress things up if you read them ahead of time).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The narrator is omniscient. He's supposed to know, and that's who you are supposed to hear it from.

Ep previews are designed to be spoilery.

But places that identify the episodes by ep name are bad, especially when the spoilers are in the title. Youtube is particularly bad about this.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

That's the part I take issue with. The first was done well, and gave you a sense of dread. The second was just telling you flat out so you knew exactly what was going to happen.

I still fail to see the problem with this.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

linall posted:

Wait really? For me the length of it qualifies it for rewatching alone. There is just so much stuff crammed into the show that even after just having finished it, I wasn't 100% on all the events. Bonus for having already seen it, you can pick it up on just about any episode and not be completely lost. If I needed a giant time sink I would be watching it over again right now.

It's bizarre watching the first episode after finishing the series. First the animation is wonky, but all those people names that pop up and you go "what who the gently caress is this? I don't care"... YOU KNOW ALL THESE FUCKERS.

I was surprised that those no named gunners at the beginning never came up again.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

NoneSuch posted:

I've just started watching this. I'm not a massive fan of anime and often stuff like cheap scenes where the camera pans on a still shot annoy me to hell, or just the mouth moves while talking and nothing else, but so far I've been hooked. The fights themselves can be hit or miss too, and I was seriously considering giving up after the first battle which was unsatisfying and the bit with the guy looking at the hologram of his wife was ridiculous. I'm glad I've stuck with it though as it's been getting better and better. I'm about 30 episodes in.

It annoys me to no end that Sword of the Stars 2 turned out to be a turd. Everytime I watch an episode with a lot of pew pew space battles I get an itch to play it.

The animation gets better as time goes on (at least, it's not so limited). And yeah, the poo poo with Jean Paul was loving hilariously overwrought. I never had a problem with the battle itself though. Just about all the space battles in LoGH are loving intense and brutal, or at least interesting in some way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Okay, yeah, it's a bit of a cold start honestly but once you know all those people it's actually remarkably cool. The movie version of the first two eps eases things a lot, animation and pacing wise.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Speaking of which, both movies have finally be attached to BD video sources, and they look glorious.

Also, the entire series has been attached to 720p BD sourced 10bit video, if you've got the HD space for it. They're definitely upscaled, but not by someone as incompetent as Q-TEC so they look better than just upscaling the DVD itself does.

I just grabbed the series and it's awesome.

Gotta grab thems movies soon.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

NoneSuch posted:

I've burnt my way towards the end of the series and just got onto Reinhard's night of passion. I can't get over how this show treats the female characters. They're entire purpose is to swoon over the male characters, and it's like once romance starts happening they get any strength sucked out of them.

I'd just like one or two of the female characters to have a bit of personality. I assumed Hilda was a strong person and wouldn't turn to jelly after a bit of sex, and would atleast be capable of facing him rather than being ashamed. It's already obvious that Katerose is going to fall for Julian, and I've not seen any other purpose to her character beyond a love interest.

Damnit, now I'm remembering the controlling your man through the kitchen speech earlier on. I shouldn't be surprised as it is 90's anime but still.

80s anime based on even earlier book series.

Lets not forget he's the goddamn emperor, and also she managed to sleep with her boss, which is awkward for anyone in the morning.

And frankly there hasn't been all that much swooning. Aside from Reinhard's sister.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Aside from the prequel movie, I was pretty not into the prequel stuff The duelist and mutineer were both pretty boring imo, and kinda creepy imo.

I didn't see any with yang though so ymmv

Honestly though I might try again; CA had them organized so loving poorly I was having a hell of a time figuring out where to start and from you list it looks like I just picked them at random.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

I'm on episode 10 and loving it, though I much prefer Yang Wen-li's character and plotline to Reinhard's. He just seems to have much better supporting characters and the political intrigue of the Free Alliance seems more realistic and relatable than the courtly stuff.

Jessica Edwards' activism, for instance, is far more interesting than the tepid Annerose.

I realise I'm only a short way in and there's plenty that could change to make me like the Imperial episodes more.

Reinhard's side fleshes out a lot more in the next dozen or so eps. LoGH beauty lies in it's ability to humanize both sides of the conflict to the point where you just wish they would be space bros

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

thecallahan posted:

I'm around episode 11 or so myself and I loved Reinhard's massive :iceburn: on that one military guy at the Kaiser's son-in-laws party (the one with the painting of the original Kaiser). And I hate not being able to type their names but still getting used to the large cast. I know it's rather early but I like Reinhard more than Yang but I'm liking the FPA storyline a bit more

You will grow to learn you need not pick one or the other, you can love them both :)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I don't think there is a consensus. The shows hits on all cylinders for the entire run so it's a bit of a meaningless distinction (OVA excluded).

I myself was very partial to the first series and second, and was little less interested in the Terranism stuff and the last arc of the show with ruental's rebellion and Reinhards demise. Still, the iserlohn stuff before that and the terranism getting Yang were really really good, even if overall the terranism stuff was uneven. I really really REALLY didn't like that the terranism compound used ~freaky brain chemicals~ to convert people. There are countless examples in history of religious and nationalistic fanatics that need nothing more than the excuse of righteousness and superiority to bind them to the cause. Going 'oh, they were drugged' is really sad. The terranism portrayal is the weakest link. They are cartoon villians in a show that is otherwise realized with surprising fullness and depth. Oh, and Reinhard's strategy to fight yang with the tissue paper / wine thing was loving stupid. As a commander of his intelligence it felt so needlessly wasteful and inelegant of him.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I dunno, I'm not sure Cheney ever made bush look *good*.

but overstein does rule in a "Nooo stop it you monster!" kind of way.

the fact that he appears to give no fucks and then occasionally gives a gently caress is also cool

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Uhg. the best intro is the movie that eats up the first two eps. The gaiden are pretty poor compared to the series. In relative terms, anyway. Also, there's really no good rason to want to know about these dude's misadventures when you don't know them at all.

The character designs are crisp but the animation is balls I don't know what you are talking about. The new Zeta animation was loving lush and detailed.

I can't think of a worse way to introduce people to the show than force them to watch some side stories that are slow paced and less interesting on the scale of intergalactic war epic. Unless this is for a rewatch, and then whatever.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

The first movie is the pilot! It should be watched.

Second movie is "just" a much nicer version of the first two episodes (better pacing, better animation).

More info. It kind of makes up for how limited the animation is in the first two eps. Then the show more or less gets over that hump shortly after.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah watch the gaiden if you wanna see the LoGH guys do scooby doo.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah. If you got the dvd rips already okay whatever, but if you got nothing but the old LDs / VHS rips why not go for broke and download a slightly larger version.

HD eps of just about every new series are like fricken 500 megs anyway. LoGH deserves as many megs as it wants :colbert:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." -Yang Wen-Li

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The real functionality of Oberstein's game plan sets it apart from him just being a dick. I mean, it's completely logical and coldly cruel to the people turned into acceptable losses, but for as hot blooded and 'noble' as reinhard's tactics are they are honestly dumb as poo poo and ep 500 (I think) really shows how lovely any losses are and that there are no good losses, so if there are going to be any the numerically fewest is probably the best course of action.

The fact that you can even make that argument however show how richly realized both of those character's philosophies are. Which makes it that much less impressive how loving one note and lovely the terranists are. The idea behind them is great, cultists who want to return the stage of history to earth, but they are such loving awful caricatures.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

"Knife-fighting space combat offends my sensibilities but you can't expect much from science fiction."

what does this even mean?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If he meant the h2h boarding parties, there are several good reasons for that yeah. The canon explanation is *exploding particles*. Not to mention extremely tough armor that the lasers usually bounce off of.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If you can't engage in such a minor suspension of belief it is absolutely your loss.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

We literally just talked about this

DamnGlitch posted:

If he meant the h2h boarding parties, there are several good reasons for that yeah. The canon explanation is *exploding particles*. Not to mention extremely tough armor that the lasers usually bounce off of.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

other examples?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I would have much preferred to see Julian: space jock ace than Julian: Inexplicable Wunderkinder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Could you elaborate? I thought the dearth of adult anime was down to companies targeting kids because the adults didn't have as much interest any more.

Not that there isn't anything worth watching for adults (we're here, after all), though. There just seems to be far less of it.

Manbabbies. Specifically, single men with disposable income they dedicate to purchasing merchandise.

It DOES hit some teens; a naked woman infront of some (male) teen isn't going to get a blind eye turned to it, regardless of what the main audience is.

But lolicon shows, and ridiculous high school shows are not for the age group featured in the show.