Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

No poo poo, what a righteous gal.

I can't believe that this is only 110 episodes, it seems like there's still tons of things to happen.
I'm guessing they do more of the "later she would become Mrs. Whatshisname" type thing. that'd solve it.

Whenever my roommate walks in and I'm watching this he just says something about the animation style and says he'll never watch it. the heathen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Komrade Hitlerstalin posted:

I mean in principle I don't know why people want to keep around AVI after Matroska came into its own

because winamp doesn't play mkv and I like adding things to my massive thousand hours of anime playlist that I've had going for a couple years now. It's like a diary of what I've watched and other players have less convenient playlist stuffs. :)

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Komrade Hitlerstalin posted:

Well you're weird and who uses Winamp to watch videos anyway? I mean live and let live, but how can something in this day and age not play MKVs? I would think the drawbacks outweigh the benefits in that scenario.

even windows picture and fax viewer plays mkv files (albeit without softsub support) :(

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Funny Bunny posted:

I am currently working my way through the original series, making sure not to watch too many episodes at a time to enjoy the show as long as possible. I have just seen episode 82 and wow, I completely did not see Yang's death coming at all this early. It has been a long time since the death of an anime character actually affected me, but this show has definitely succeeded in it, especially because of the way in which it was presented; nearly without any buildup. I wonder how the nearly thirty remaining episodes will fare without his presence.

I think that Kircheis dying was a more significant event. There was no one that could fill his shoes. Things would have gone much differently had he stayed alive.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Definitely Fahrenheit no but really Reuental.

Kircheis second place, assuming he was an admiral at some point which I don't recall.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

Does anyone know how to make the text display properly? I could have sworn I already installed some sort of east-asian language pack, but I can't be sure. I don't know any Japanese, but it'd be easier to decipher consistent runes than random garble.
Haven't played it myself but do you have your language for non-unicode programs set to Japanese? That's usually what does it.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Between the time Yang dies and the end of the show there were very few points where I thought "Things would be different if he were around". As opposed to Kircheis, whose presence would have drasticaly altered the second half of the show and ended the series probably 20-30 episodes sooner.

So really the alliance was a lot more capable of getting along without it's leaders than the empire.
e: actually, the less leadership the alliance had, the better it did

e2: vv Sorry about that but still, it was fansubbed years ago vv

cooldude2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 12, 2008

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

patricius posted:

Kircheis and the magic zephyr particles, for one;
Yang and Kircheis using different methods to defeat the ULTIMATE PLANET DEFENSE system was one of my favorite parts of the show.
genius commanders: 2
scientists: 0

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

abbad0n posted:

LOGH Spiral Labyrinth Ep 5 xvid h264
LOGH Spiral Labyrinth Ep 6 xvid h264
holy recycled animation. I just watched half a dozen ships blow up half a dozen times.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Slaapaav posted:

One minor complaint: How the gently caress does the incompetent Alliance military survive a 150 year war before Yang Wenli starts to unfuck things? I have only seen the first 16 episodes, so maybe there is an explanation later on.
Yang Wenli isn't the alliance's first brilliant commander, but mostly it's Job Trunhit's fault.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Watching the movie later as a prequel is also nice because it's like Oh yeah, Kircheis. He was a really cool guy.
Which is a fitting way to wrap up a long series in which his death is the most significant event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I'd argue that at least one other character's death is way, way more significant. Or at least it had more impact.
I'd disagree because if Kircheis hadn't died he would have been around to keep Reinhard from doing anything questionable and things would have gone much more smoothly. It's been a while since I've seen it so I'm fuzzy on what exactly I'm talking about, but I recall Kircheis' death changing the direction of the show more than Yang's.