Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks a bunch MoW for this thread, I'm really enjoying the show :)

I try to watch the episodes in half season chunks (for DVD burning purposes) so I'm still only half way through season three, but I wanted to know if CA has any plans to release the other two OVAs and movies after they finish season 4. I know it will probably be a year easy before season 4 is done but I don't want it to end :(

edit: \/\/\/ Goody Gumdrops. I don't mind waiting for eps as long as I know they're coming :dance:

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 1, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah, there are mini storylines and CA will be numbering episodes within storylines.

Before we were on the 4-chapter "Silver-White Valley" arc, now we're on chapter 1 of the "Dreams of the Morning, Songs of the Night" arc. 2.1 comes consecutively after 1.4.

Is there a list anywhere of the individual arcs for the gaidens? All I've been able to find online just has the two block 'seasons' but not the arc names like CA is numbering by. I'd like to have them in the file names when I burn the eps if possible. Yes I'm way too anal about this :(

Just watched 110 this afternoon, I'm going to be thinking about this series for a while to come. Pure awesome.

edit: \/\/\/ Well poo poo, I could have sworn ANN didn't have them broken out like that :/ Do the episodes not have individual titles then?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 29, 2008

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since I watched the end of the series, but I think [ep108] he's talking about how Yang fought his way to his ship in that last great battle they had. How Yang had him dead to rights but then backed down on orders from the main planet, not that he physically fell down as Julian had. But it's Yang either way.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I first finished the series a few years ago I could probably rattle off 30 character names and at least a vague description of their role in the story. Of course that's more a testament to the quality of the narrative than my memorization skills.

And man, now with the second movie out we're getting close to all the LoGH content seeing translation, this is gonna be awesome:

1 Valley of White Silver #1-4 (side stories series episodes 1-4) check
2 Morning's Dream, Night's Song #1-4 (5-8) check
3 Disgrace #1-4 (9-12) check
4 A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights #1-12 (13-24) check
5 Spiral Labyrinth #1-14 (25-38) check
6 Mutineer #1-4 (39-42) check
7 Those Who Duel #1-4 (43-46) check
8 Those Who Recapture #1-4 (47-50) c'mon c'mon do it
9 The Third Tiamat Battle #1-2 (51-52) c'mon c'mon do it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Honest Ray posted:

I really need to check out some of the LoGH stuff thats outside the main series like the Gaidens. I imagine they are pretty awesome too? Whats the gist of them, which should I start with, etc?

The gaidens are definitely worth seeing after the main series. They're numbered in a confusing way, but basically it's two season's worth of episodes. The first dealing with Reinhard before we see him in the first ep of the main series, the second season is the same thing for Yang. You can see how each individual gaiden is split up in my post earlier on this page, with 1-4 being season one and 5-9 season two.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

As a clueless newcomer to the series, I was wondering:

- Should I watch the prequel stuff before the main series? After? Not at all?

Takes No Damage posted:

The gaidens are definitely worth seeing after the main series. They're numbered in a confusing way, but basically it's two season's worth of episodes. The first dealing with Reinhard before we see him in the first ep of the main series, the second season is the same thing for Yang. You can see how each individual gaiden is split up in my post earlier on this page, just below, with 1-4 being season one and 5-9 season two.

Takes No Damage posted:

1 Valley of White Silver #1-4 check
2 Morning's Dream, Night's Song #1-4 (5-8) check
3 Disgrace #1-4 (9-12) check
4 A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights #1-12 (13-24) check
5 Spiral Labyrinth #1-14 (25-38) check
6 Mutineer #1-4 (39-42) check
7 Those Who Duel #1-4 (43-46) check
8 Those Who Recapture #1-4 (47-50) c'mon c'mon do it
9 The Third Tiamat Battle #1-2 (51-52) c'mon c'mon do it

Maybe we should stick this list in the OP or something, I actually had a hard time just finding the names and proper order for all the gaidens, most sources seem to mix them up for some reason.

edit: and maybe add in what benny said about My Conquest being Episode 0 and Overture replacing Episodes 1 & 2. I believe that would lay out all LOGH content for people to see what goes where and when.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 30, 2010

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah, that list of titles for Gaiden is very helpful to a person like me who has finished the series and is starting the prequels. Central Anime has the most confusing episode naming scheme for these, especially if you aren't already aware of the way the eps are organized.

It's too bad that the Gaiden eps don't seem to have any seeds, though. :sigh:

Yeah they start off just going Gaiden 1, Gaiden 2 etc (Referring to Valley and Morning's in my list), but now they're just putting them out by their title alone, or for the second season they're titling everything Spiral Labyrinth and then subtitling the shorter gaidens that follow within that same season except on Tuesdays when they :psyboom:

It's only truly problematic because the different stories in each season are in a continuity, so Valley of White Silver happens before Hundred Billion Stars so each season needs to be watched in order. I think they're moving over to nyaatorrents so maybe they'll take the opportunity to standardize file names.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sweet, only two eps of content left before we have everything LoGH.

Also for the new OP, the first four prequels are titled, unless you were really trying to match CA's naming.

1 Valley of White Silver #1-4 (1-4)
2 Morning's Dream, Night's Song #1-4 (5-8)
3 Disgrace #1-4 (9-12)
4 A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights #1-12 (13-24)

And you aren't listing the episodes of the 9th prequel, The Third Tiamat Battle, unless you're only listing things that are available from CA right now.

And yes all my video files must be named just so or else :mad:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heibi2 from CA's forum posted:

Sept 18: Finished my initial work on Part 1 of 3rd Battle of Tiamat. Will get #2 done next week and release Sunday or Monday(26th or 27th).

Sept 21: The last 2 episodes are now ready for a pre-check and a final check. Just have to gather my minions for them.

Oh my :kiddo:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All of CA's stuff is also up at nyaa.eu, just search 'central anime' and grab the season batches.

\/\/\/ ah, I'd seen them releasing different rips of the show, tying to get a visual upgrade from the old laser discs. If that's the case it may be time for me to refresh my collection as well. I still need to finish those pesky gaidens...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 6, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
While the gaidens are obviously inferior to the main series, in all fairness what isn't :v:

I think they're worth watching but they're meant to be viewed after season 4. They assume prior knowledge all the characters.

Next time I rewatch I'll probably go:
* Overture to a New Battle
* Episodes 003-110
* Gaidens

To the earlier sci-fi discussion, the only part of the series that really went full Star Trek for me was (season4) Rubinsky's brainbomb. There was no precedent for anything like that in the series and took me right out of things for a minute. Other than that bit everything else seemed fairly physically realistic.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It just seemed to elevate him to 'cartoon supervillain' levels of evil. I felt the tone (or maybe just the execution) was different than the rest of the series.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Indeed, no one who watched that one Next Episode preview and got THAT THING spoiled for them ever forgets it :( Get in the habit of avoiding the previews now.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's at least one point where he's all "And that was the last time they ever saw one another" CREDITS. I can only guess they assumed anyone watching the OVAs was already a fan of the novels.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chinook posted:

Just finished the show, and loved it. Now my friend and I are deciding whether or not we should watch each of the prequels/OVAs/whatever. Could someone tell me which of these are worth watching? I know it's probably been discussed in this (very long) thread, but a quick rundown would be appreciated. :)

(Optional Prequels)
Gaiden 1 - 4 Episodes
Gaiden 2 - 4 Episodes
Gaiden 3 - 4 Episodes
Gaiden 4 - 12 Episodes
Spiral Labyrinth - 14 Episodes
Mutineer - 4 Episodes
The Duelist - 4 Episodes
Retriever - 4 Episodes

Thank you!

Yea CA's naming conventions are a bit of a cluster with the gaidens. I'll try and break it down as clearly as possible. And while I've only seen the first half of the first season of prequels, I think they're worth watching. The main series is undoubtedly better, but it's also cool to see a little bit more of your favorite characters after season 4 ends.

Season One is about Reinhard and Kircheis before we meet them, mostly them running around kicking rear end in military school:
Gaiden 1 is Valley of White Silver, episodes G1.01-G1.04
Gaiden 2 is Morning's Dream, Night's Song, episodes G1.05-G1.08
Gaiden 3 is Disgrace, episodes G1.09-G1.12
Gaiden 4 is A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights, episodes G1.13-G1.24

Season Two is the same deal but for Yang. I haven't watched it yet but I think this is where we get the full story of his Hero of El Facil thing that is referenced so much in the main story:
Spiral Labyrinth, episodes G2.01-G2.14
Those Who Revolt (Mutineer), episodes G2.15-G2.18
The Duelist, episodes G2.19-G2.22
Survivors (Retriever), episodes G2.23-G2.26
Third Tiamat Battle, episodes G2.27-G2.28

And that plus the 3 movies are all the LoGH there is! If you haven't watched Overture to a New Battle I highly recommend it. The first 2 episodes are a jumbled rushed mess in comparison. My Conquest is the Sea of Stars isn't quite as interesting but it gives you the story of Yang and Reinhard's first encounter, a battle that is referenced several times during this, their second encounter.

Rakugoon posted:

Definitely watch the first Gaiden imo. Reinhard and Kircheis get to play around with a tank and it has the best production values I've seen so far (I'm up to Gaiden 4).

I liked Disgrace, where they get to Sherlock it up with a murder mystery.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:3:

"Ah just throw some foreign characters in there, no one will know the difference!"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh sure, I didn't expect it to be legitimate flavor text, but why not use random Japanese? I can't think of any signs or anything but does the official language of the Empire use the Latin alphabet?

I've just started rewatching the show after work on Fridays, since CA's shiny new DVD files finally finished downloading. That's from 113. Wonder what other little stuff I'll pick up on during this second viewing. I was already all :stare: when the FPA council was arguing that they didn't have the economic strength to support a costly foreign invasion... after reading about exactly that on CNN... ohgod it's all happening again :tinfoil:

\/\/\/ ep 115 or 116 has Reinhard in a conference or something explaining stuff to his fleet commanders and all the names are on screen in Latin letters, so yea I'm unobservant. I still think just running through the alphabet in order is funny.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 18, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uznare posted:

As a newbie who just started watching this with the first movie I have to say that if the rest of the show is as incredible as the movie was this is gonna be a hell of a ride and I can't wait.

Also Yang Wenli has the biggest balls.

The rest of the show is just as good as Overture, yes. Unless you're talking about Conquest, in which case, the rest of the show is just as good as Conquest as well. I can't think of any other show that has this many episodes and manages to be kickass the entire way through. Nothing like 'oh the second half of season 3 sucks but then it gets good again' stuff here, just consistent political/military badassery for all 55 hours. Also I'm really hoping SamusX meant to type 'weeks' and not 'days' otherwise :stare:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
110 episodes? I believe you mean 162 episodes. Get those fuckin' gaiden seasons in there! If you're gonna go LoGH marathon you better go big or go home :clint:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But his sister is definitely one of the more forgettable people on the Empire side. She's a great source of motivation for Reinhard but she never actually does anything.

\/\/\/ edit: Holy poo poo, I thought that meant rosebuds were pretty small and didn't really do anything until they bloomed. How the gently caress did I just now think of Citizen Kane :psyduck:

Reinhard as William Randolf Hurst, discuss!

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 16, 2012

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oberstein is like a cooler smarter Dick Cheney. Willing to play the bad guy and make tough decisions in order to make Reinhard look good. One of my favorite characters to watch.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since they've already junked the source material for the original show (preventing them from ever rescanning at a higher resolution) aren't the Blu-Rays and DVDs from a common source anyway? Thought they were all upscales with minor touchups here and there, but true HD LoGH is an impossibility :(

Does anyone know if CA is going to do DVD versions of the gaidens as well, since those do look noticeably better than the laserdisc rips they had originally?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So they had the DVD master, which they used to produce the DVD encode which lowers the quality a bit. Now they took the same DVD master and produced a BD encode which (theoretically) lowers the quality by slightly less? I can't help but feel that we're firmly into the territory of diminishing returns at this point...

Having said that, if there was ever a show that was worth sperging over to get the absolute highest quality version of, LoGH is that show. CA is never going to get to stop working on this show. Never.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All them, LoGH deserves all the megs.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

I was already all :stare: when the FPA council was arguing that they didn't have the economic strength to support a costly foreign invasion... after reading about exactly that on CNN...

Quoting myself (and Ron Paul) from a few weeks ago. *Sigh* have we really learned so little even after turning all these pages in history?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yeah this is one show you would need to have front and center in your media shelves, were it officially available.

duck monster posted:

Oberstein is awesome, because he's completely villianous, except for the fact he is at all points pretty much acting in everyones best interests so he's not a a villian at all.. Just a bit of a uptight prick.

Just last Friday I watched the episodes where (late season 1) he sends the recon probe ahead to watch that planet get nuked by the nobles for propaganda fuel, rather than pushing Reinhard to get the intercept fleet there sooner and save 2 million lives. His argument pretty much mirrored the USA's decision to light up Japan at the end of WWII. Dude is hardcore Lawful-Neutral.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unless this is some Battleship Galactica "all of this had happened before" stuff. Maybe we're all watching our distant ancestors here!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's what makes the show so realistic and interesting. There aren't that many "good/bad guys" as characters, more often we watch a bunch of people all doing what they think is right/best. Is there a legitimate justification for letting X innocent civilians die in order to potentially save the lives of 10X? What gives anyone the right to make those kinds of decisions? Maybe if I watch the series one more time I'll figure it out...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always considered the actual fleet encounters to be secondary to the personal/political maneuvering that goes on throughout the show. A political drama that happens to feature epic space battles if you will.

And I think we can all agree that while not perfect, the SPACE PHYSICS are presented more realistically than in most other shows of this type. There's really just one minor bit at the end where I call total bullshit (Nephilm please post right after viewing episode 110, your sweet sci-fi sperg tears will be delicious).

\/\/\/ SciFi isn't my favoritest genre ever so maybe I'm just ignorant of some established tropes that you keep claiming to see in LoGH. They just don't seem to use the "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" (teleporters, FTL jumps etc) that shows set in the distant future (or past!) lean on so often. Something like 'oh their laser pistols aren't super powerful or they would be too big to carry around, that's why thick armor is still effective, bust out the battleaxes' seems more realistic than 'yeah humans have developed the technology to jump through hyperspace, :dealwithit: ' at least to me.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 21, 2012

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I started Monster years ago and still haven't finished it. It's only similarity to LoGH that I remember is that people stand around talking all the time, but one show holds my attention doing that and one doesn't. My go-to anime to recommend to people who 'hate anime' is usually Death Note. I wish there was something closer to Legends that I could point new people to without dropping 110 episodes on them at once.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aren't there entire shows that are bankrolled on the calculation of whatever small percentage of the market will pay hundreds of (converted) dollars to buy the series / merch after it has aired? It would be really cool if we got some independent and unique types of shows to get made that way because it wouldn't matter as much when their ratings tanked while they aired. Probably just more loli jr high dance party shows though :(

In happier news I just got to the massive infodump that is episode 40. e: 40 is the one where Julian goes to Phezzan and decides to watch the Future History Channel on the way there. I remembered that this episode existed but didn't recall any specific content.

THE FUTURE

A 70.7 Meg floppy drive, not bad future, not bad.

It seems we're still using DOS in the future:

Micro$oft :argh:

QBasic as well. Sure, why not.

And man, I did NOT remember these frames at all, maybe I should stop watching this show at work...
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/SLe4R.jpg
What the hell is your problem, Future Strip Club <:mad:>

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 23, 2012

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It must have been a serious pain in the rear end to design so many characters who share identical uniforms and still have them be visually distinctive and memorable. I wonder how much of peoples' appearances are laid out in the books and how much the animators had to come up with on their own.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Future German Strip Club. :eng101:

Somehow this does help make sense of it all... I had wondered why the Empire seemed so monolithic in their race and culture, but this episode laid out how Goldenbaum specifically selected white Germanic people to be the new 'noble' class. Oh and holocausting 4 BILLION people with his Inferior Genes law thing :stare: Reinhard sorta/kinda letting that one planet get nuked during the civil war seems completely tame in comparison.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh good, previously the only options were standard 4:3 or HD with the top and bottom cropped to force widescreen. Hopefully this is the best of both, checking it out tomorrow.

\/\/\/ oops, the page says 1080x1036, that's not the aspect ratio I was thinking about. In fact, what is that? It's almost square, certainly not widescreen.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 29, 2012

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Too bad normal people don't have the attention span to get invested in shows like this. You can do some truly amazing things narratively when the audience understand and cares about your characters.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately it requires that rare quality known as "an attention span", so most will never know its joys and sorrows :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd say about half way through the first season is where you finally have enough established characters and concepts that things really start to get exciting. One of the (few imo) problems with this show is that it's so long and complex it just takes a bit of time to set everything up for the viewer. Once everyone's political and governmental situations are established you can then watch how they change and react to each other. So if you're only on episode 6 give it another 6. If you're still truly uninterested after half a season then political space dramas just might not be your bag man.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a pretty slow moving thread since the show was completely subbed. I used to see double digit new posts and say to myself "Oh cool something new must have been released or maybe a new viewer came to the thread with some questions all us long time fans can answer" but no, it's just Nephilm again :sigh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Before casting out the space battle-axe in thy brother's cybernetic eye / seek first to cast out the Thor Hammer in thine own.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do they look? Central Anime has said that any HD versions will just be upscales from the same sources the DVDs came from, so any visual improvements would be minimal at best. I see that CA has all the gaidens out at 720p but nothing for the main series.

\/\/\/ Indeed I was :shobon: Still seeing mixed reviews and people bickering about 10bit dithering and poorly-integrated 3D animation replacing dirty film cells or somesuch thing. As I've already got cleaned-up(?) DVD versions from CA this probably isn't worth replacing the whole series. I'll just wait until they go back and rescan all the original cells at proper HD resolutions and release it all with accurate English subs for a couple hundred bucks, yeah that's the ticket :japan:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 3 is the reason that to this day I refuse to watch the next episode previews for any anime. Never again..... :smith: