Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

FAT BATMAN posted:

I just hope I can still have my LOGH drinking game of “drink every time the empire is toasting a glass of wine, and every time the alliance pounds down straight whiskey or spiked tea/coffee”

You clearly never played that game with the original series. Proof: you're still alive :beerpal: Serioustalk, I did always like how the Empire breaking a wine glass meant poo poo was about to get REAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

My mom still sometimes asks me if there's any new LOGH and I have to remind her that the old series ended and she's watched the gaidens too. She's not interested in the reboot.

At least she's currently enjoying HxH.

Sounds like a pretty cool mom, what are you a Microwave rereg? :raise:

e:

knox posted:

I have watched a comparison of the first episodes and it is cool there's subtle changes, like Oberstein not jumping infront of Reinhard during The Scene, which I guess matches the manga or novels more closely.

Is that not in his character in the books? I always thought it was meant to show that he wasn't just some scummy politician rear end-kissing his way to the top, he legit believed in Reinhard's ideals and was prepared to die to protect them/him.

vvv Nice, that's the opposite of how most book > film translations go.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 27, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

I'm not sure what the difference means honestly but I saw many people comment on it. I think there is something to the theory Oberstein took Kircheis' gun for a reason, as he was somehow in on plan allowing Ansbach to get a weapon in- not to have Reinhard killed ofcourse but to ensure his place as Reinhard's main advisor and to allow him to make the cold decisions he knew Kircheis would not allow him to make. But It's never really expanded on in the series/it's pretty sloppy for someone like Oberstein, and I'm not sure how much detail is written in the books about that particular scene. It's just odd how on Oberstein's order Kircheis is forced to give up his weapon right before that event happens.

Hm I'd have to rewatch the episode to double check, by memory it was just him removing some of the special treatment K-man had been getting, but you're right the timing is sus as hell. I don't see how it could have been a Death Note-style ALL ACCORDING TO MY PLANS thing since the assassin fires a portable mortar thing like 2ft away from Reinhard's head. Maybe if he was some oldschool badass intentionally failing the attempt and suiciding himself to take out Kircheis, but he's just some random mook trying to avenge one of the nobles that Reinhard took out.

I looked up the clip on Youtube, and while it's probably more realistic, lol at the room full of generals standing around staring at the guy while he slowly takes aim and fires, then wrestles with Kircheis and ring-lasers him TWICE before they grab the guy.

Unrelated, but it's nice to see LoGH remaining relevant in our modern times:

"In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

Argas posted:

Don't even know who that is.

Just an old goon with a cool mom :grin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched any of the new show yet (worth it?), but I am making another good run at an OG rewatch, and to my eternal shame I've never finished up the gaidens so that's definitely on deck as well.

Closing in on the end of season 1. There's a bit of a lull in the middle where not a lot is going on, and some of the one-off Empire episodes are a little corny (seriously, ruler of the Ancient Rome planet who installed himself as Caesar, how did you think that was going to play out?), but once the simultaneous civil wars kick off poo poo gets hot. Am very much enjoying watching both sides repeatedly underestimate their respective Golden Strategy Gods.

Empire Noble: OK Blonde Brat, who made full Admiral at 20 and commands all the best captains in the entire military, let's see what you're really made of :smug:
Sir! Enemy fleet at our flank!
EN: Naniiiiiiiiii?? :rip:

Greenhill Defector: Alright Miracle :airquote: Yang, why don't you show me some of your magician's magic :smuggo:
Sir! Enemy fleet at our flank!
GD: Nandateeeeeee??? :rip:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Winifred Madgers posted:

Yes. It's a different beast in some ways, telling the same tale slightly differently, but it works very well and they complement each other, I would say.

Neat, I'll check them out. Probably a good time as I'm just finishing up S1 now so that material is pretty fresh for me (that cliffhanger at the end of ep25 is diiiiirty).

Nerdietalk posted:

What an absolute moron.

Oof, yeah that'll do it. The show touches on Max being pissy about the Empire trying to true-up with the cash his dad stole, but they completely leave out the genetically engineered unicorn dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at people.

Come to think of it I don't remember hardly any future sci-fi tech in the show, outside of general space travel and cool, clear cybernetic eyes. FPA looks pretty much like modern cities/suburbs, and the Empire was straight cosplaying the 1800s, and everybody has magical explody gas to explain having battleaxe combat 1000 years in the future. Even those Crono Trigger sleep chambers that give you 8 hours of rest in 60 minutes stick out a little bit.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I thought the DVD releases were still just transfers from the initial Laserdisc set, but it looks like a bunch of stuff was redrawn. I guess you could make arguments for both styles but I feel like the more pencil-line drawn style works better than the smoothed over CGI look:

OG:

DVD:

or

OG:

DVD:

Is there a legit/updated source for these "original" versions, or were they only ever released by Central Anime way back when (where those OG stills are from)?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

I believe what happened is the masters were damaged between the LD and DVD releases, so they were redrawn out of necessity and can't be rereleased except in the form of an LD rip.

Ah it seems so. There is a dude on Reddit who claims to be attempting a proper digital archive rip of the LD set but that thread hasn't seen much activity in a year or so.
https://www.reddit.com/r/logh/comments/kyrus0/i_am_excited_to_announce_legend_of_the_galactic/

e:
Also, I had thought the files I had were slightly out of sync, but it looks like straight LD rips are the same way. Am I crazy or do everyone's lips start moving just a bit before their dialogue track?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 4, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

I do much prefer the old animation and character styles though.

Good that the LaserDisc remaster project is still alive then. This was just posted today :peanut:

https://i.imgur.com/CzfPWlN.mp4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

It this a thing where they are gonna take from the BR and combine it with the best possible quality LD from the damaged/ reanimated sections?

It never bothered me as mucha s some people but I do find it hard to watch the gaiden eps because of the cheaper animation style.

Nope, this is the thing where some guy has the actual LD collection and has spent years painstakingly collecting the hardware and software required to rip it at the highest possible quality. Personally I think they're going a bit overboard with filters and AI upscales and whatnot, but if they ever get the drat thing done and released it will become the definitive source for the OG OVA.

Also they just noticed an extra LD in the box, and turns out it's a half our behind the scenes doc about the series! No subtitles tho, leaving us at the mercy of Youtube autosubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeDRdRkYjI

e:
Here's a link to the last Reddit post that includes a Discord invite, if anyone else wants to keep up with the project.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 30, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

lmao they spent all that time and money ripping the LD's and then ruined it with an ai downscale. What a mistake

To their credit they did recently announce that they're dropping the AI upscale aspect of the project, but yeah I would have preferred a basic straight-from-LD rip that other people could then take and tweak and filter to their heart's content. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, ya know?

I've seen too many goon projects crash and burn so the longer this one goes on the more nervous I get. If this guy gets hit by a bus, no LOGH. If his house burns down, no LOGH. Having such a single point of failure like this makes my brain itch :tizzy:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

The rips I do have the quality changes sometime at episode 26, as I distinctly remember higher quality for certain parts of the Kircheis scene. I was never sure if that was re-drawn or part of the laser disc versions or something. But even when the quality is at it's lowest, it's never that bad. I mean it's 30+ years old and I'd still prefer the bad quality old episodes over the Die Neue These. Yeah the new battle scene CGI is cooler but at the expense of the character designs, nah.

Talking about stuff like this?

Takes No Damage posted:

Huh, I thought the DVD releases were still just transfers from the initial Laserdisc set, but it looks like a bunch of stuff was redrawn. I guess you could make arguments for both styles but I feel like the more pencil-line drawn style works better than the smoothed over CGI look:

OG:

DVD:

or

OG:

DVD:

Is there a legit/updated source for these "original" versions, or were they only ever released by Central Anime way back when (where those OG stills are from)?

As was explained to me, some parts of the masters were either damaged or lost when they were doing the DVD transfer, so rather than do what this guy is doing and just rip from a LD they redrew those missing scenes. And same, I'll take lower resolution if it means everything is consistent and in the original hand-drawn style.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wish I had 110 days of new LoGH content ahead of me :negative: Or 162(?) with the gaidens.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hate that I knew what it was going to be just by his posture in the thumbnail :nyoron:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've fallen off on keeping up with the re-release, but here's the latest tech demo for the OG series laserdisc remaster. Looks pretty clean IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3dMrtnN7Fc

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, I ran into the same thing last April:

Takes No Damage posted:

OG:

DVD:

or

OG:

DVD:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

threeagainstfour posted:

Just started watching the OVA on HI Dive and episode 15 is when the show finally clicked for me as absolutely slapping. After all the build up of the Empire snatching the food and supplies from the “liberated” worlds, and the FPA bungling the response to that, when the episode smash opens with a booming classical music score and the Imperial fleet descending on the FPA forces it felt simply epic.

Hell yeah. The series has a pretty slow ramp up, but once they get to two civil wars at the same time I'm all in baybee.

Steve Yun posted:

Me Vs the guy she told me not to worry about

Mooooooom, can we stop and get some Kircheis?
No, we have Kircheis at home.
*Kircheis at home*

vvv
In-universe this traitor would have made patches for the Goldenbaum Dynasty :barf:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 2, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I remember posters on the forums getting pissed about people spoiling the "twist" of the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds movie :rolleye:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd say always use spoiler tags for big massive events, but like, toga planet? fair game

skasion posted:

No one would expect not to be spoiled on the fact Julius Caesar gets stabbed.

:hmmyes:

As for spoilers we're all thinking of the same thing, so probably a decent rule of thumb would be character deaths and related discussions are always behind spoilers, everything else is open.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TenementFunster posted:

nah man, LOGH is not as famous as Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar. ridiculously stupid comparison.

I think they were saying that's how the story is presented in-universe. LOGH in LOGH-world is like a WW2 documentary to us, and somebody getting pissed off when they get spoiled on Hitler's death or something.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I check the discord every few weeks as well, praying they don't get burned out or lose the LDs in a house fire or something :ohdear:

I tried to get them to just do a basic rip and throw the torrents out there so we'd have SOME kind of source and people can come along later and filter/color correct/sub them however they want, but that wasn't nerdy enough :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kdrudy posted:

I mean, I'm going to find a way to watch it and see.

Anyone know anything about the company making this? Are we looking at soap opera style production values or are they the Chinese Netflix and this has a chance at having a decent budget?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would argue that Oberstein remains one of the most compelling characters from the whole series.

:yeah:

Dude rose up from doomed obscurity to be the right hand of the king for the rest of his career, doing wrong things for right reasons.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

When we got to the first appearance of the locket, even she was all "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS VICTORIAN WAR WIDOW BULLSHIT?" and it was glorious.

Kircheis: History's Greatest Waifu?
In this essay I will.........

Well the discord LD remaster project is still limping along. I still wish they'd just put out a quick n' dirty 720 rip so at least we'd have SOME modern source from the original LDs, but do have to admit these samples are looking pretty clean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8-qr2-EeRQ

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

there's a new thread title in there somewhere but I cant find it

LoGH: (space)Shipping pretty boys together since 3576 CE

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jehde posted:

I finally started watching this, a mere 1 out of 110 episodes in so far.

In case you weren't aware, the movie My Conquest is the Sea of Stars takes place before the main OVA episodes. Nothing particularly plot critical but it is the canonical first meeting between Yang and Reinhard.

Also another movie Overture to a New War retells the first 2 episodes in a more expanded (and effective IMO) way. Again nothing that will ruin the series for you if you skip it, just eps 1 and 2 but better.

e:
Also if you care about spoilers you should skip the Next Episode previews at the end of episodes. The narrator drops a few bombs throughout the series that a first time viewer may not appreciate.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 18, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
'Seasons' is becoming a nebulous term for DNT, right? Wasn't the last one a series of movies rather than ~12 episodes? I'm pretty behind, I should get caught back up so I can relive the good times of waiting for CentralAnime to release more subs for the original series way back when :corsair:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

He clearly still had connections otherwise he wouldn't have gotten a position.

I'm overdue for a rewatch, but didn't Reinhard joke-offer him a position in the new regime assuming he wouldn't be so shameless as to readily accept a job in his enemy's government and instead Trunicht lapped it up immediately?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TenementFunster posted:

this is the only LOGH dub i would ever consider watching

Yang is Bugs, Reinhardt is Daffy

Schonkopf is Yosemite Sam

the only question i have is who is the funniest choice for Oberstein?

Foghorn Leghorn doing his southern lawyer schtick.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

fudd as narrator

"In evewy time, in evewy place, the deeds of wabbits wemain the same..."

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Who gets the Barney Rubble voice?

Dusty, he's already Barney to Yang's Fred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but those look like the 2000’s remaster that had some reanimated scenes

Yeah those are definitely the smoothed over CGI redraws:

OG:

DVD:

OG:

DVD:

Look what they did to my boy's eyebrows :negative: