Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's more that the movie ends in more or less the same spot that episode 2 does. But yes, I would also recommend skipping the first two episodes to watch both movies and then start with episode 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's in the OP!

quote:

This is the generally recommended viewing order:

Movie 1 - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Movie 2 - Overture to a New Battle (Replaces Episodes 1 and 2)

Main Series (Episode 3 to Episode 110)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can skip that one. It's unnecessary and not very good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I worked as a proctor in college, so I had a lot of free time on my hands to get paid doing homework and watching anime. Start to finish I think I had it all wrapped up in a week or two.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Takes No Damage posted:

The preview from the previous episode spoiled that for me :argh:
Never again, anime next episode previews, never again.
After watching 82, it's worth it to go back and watch the preview from 81. It's pretty...nice.

I guess I'm weird but I can't think of the last time I watched an episode preview for...anything. I mean, why would anyone? I even hate TV spots advertising upcoming episodes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only one I can think of that kind of fits the bill is early on when the Alliance occupies a planet where a food shortage takes place. I don't think the characters involved are mentioned all that much afterwards, if at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The second movie is a much better take on the first two episodes, so I would absolutely recommend watching that instead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That sounds extremely Hollywood and even sillier. Sometimes people just die and there is nothing noble about it, nor should there be.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My favorite Bittenfeld moment is how stoked he is to be at that opera with Reinhard.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's on Usenet, if you have that. Which you probably don't (but should!).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The fake history channel episode is one of my favorites. The talking heads, the editing, the ostentatious bookcases and decor in the background when the various "experts" talk, all of it screams WWII History Week.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is unfortunate that that happened but that character is hardly the only memorable one in the show and it would be a huge disservice to set aside all of the other great parts and storylines because of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When it was remastered for DVD some scenes were not usable and had to be re-animated. This bothers a lot of people but personally I think it's a hit worth taking compared to the laserdisc quality.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
After one finishes 82 I recommend going back and watching the preview for it in 81 to really twist the knife. I can't remember the exact lines it used but it was essentially a terrifically sad eulogy for Yang.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They are not going to use laserdisc masters. Sorry but you're gonna get pink Yang.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"The new anime is not a remake of the earlier anime, but another anime adaptation of the original novels with a new staff." seems like a contradictory statement to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are there huge discrepancies between the LOGH anime and the novels?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I suspect though that this is not a FMA Brotherhood situation at least though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

mikeycp posted:

Hello everyone. I thought some people in this thread might be interested to know that I'm going to be co-hosting a LOGH watch-along podcast at the start of the new year.

The hosts are:
  • me: likes anime, but has only seen the first few episodes of LOGH.
  • Another Person: is skeptical that there could be an anime he would like, and thus has not seen any LOGH.
  • randombattle: likes anime; has seen all LOGH (at least the main OVA)

We're going to watch things in the order they were released (1 movie or 4 episodes per week), so we're going to start with My Conquest is a Sea of Stars.

Currently the plan is to release the first episode on January 13th. We also want to encourage audience participation through tweets/comments/whatever.

Here are our announcement and information videos that should go over whatever other questions you might have.

Announcement Trailer
Information Video

Any questions, or suggestions to be had are super welcome.

I'll post the first episode in here once we release it. If there's interest I'll keep you guys updated; if not I'll knock it off.

Thanks for your time.
4 episodes is probably a good amount, and as someone who only recently this year started to listen to podcasts I'll definitely be listening along! I hope y'all have fun doing it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not really sure what the distinction between the two is, but they very blatantly give away major events/reveals/deaths with extreme frequency.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The two corridors are pretty much a handwave to create the two bottlenecks for the convenience of the story. "Small stretches of passable space in an otherwise unnavigable area" or whatever. There is at least one moment IIRC where the ships actually butt up against the "edge" and it's damaging to them in the same way hitting the electrical walls in F-Zero would be.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oberstein is definitely one of the more fascinating characters to discuss as the show goes on.

Also I think expecting Yang to "not be a pussy" is comically missing the point about his character. Bare minimum, it should be becoming abundantly clear how despite there being two "rising stars" on either side of the war the fact that they contrast so much in personality/make-up/approach is going to be one of the major thematic elements utilized by the story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IIRC that image is taking that scene waaaay out of context.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah they reanimated some segments when it got released on DVD.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Super tangent but I just noticed you did a podcast on Summer Wars! I haven't listen to it yet but I hope you liked it, I loved that movie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

mikeycp posted:

We have the next episode of the podcast, finally. It covers eps 17-20. Here are the links.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Next week is the penultimate episode. It will cover 21-24.
To be blunt you guys are getting kind of insufferable whenever you talk about Yang. It's like watching someone watching The Wire for the first time and they wind up saying "That Stringer Bell, since he's always winning he must be the good guy!"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Another Person posted:

Anyway, that is just my read.
That's pretty much my take on it as well and I think is probably the best way to approach the show's large and varied cast. There's so much more you can get into once you're finished with the show but it's something that goes beyond just Yang vs. Reinhard, arguably even beyond democracy vs. dictatorship. I wasn't being completely facetious with the comparison to The Wire, which of course had a huge number of characters on many sides of conflicts with an infinite number of shades of gray.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even just checking in to this thread from time to time as you plug along to post your thoughts is fun/fine enough as it were since, well, that's what the thread is for in the first place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You're in luck then because a huge amount of the story is spent on Reinhard's relationship between himself and his followers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

StrixNebulosa posted:

But is it anime enough for ADTRW?
If ADTRW can handle a failed J-drama thread or two every couple of years it can handle a Three Kingdoms thread.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
But it subverted our expectations and therefore it is a movie without fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
See that's the sort of technical minutiae about TLJ that I couldn't give less of a poo poo about. Star Wars is a fantasy universe and has never concerned itself, I mean not really, with consistency on its more fantastical elements (which yes includes WWII-style space battles) in the same way say Star Trek would. The maneuver works in that movie and not in the other movies because it does now and not then, and really doesn't merit much discussion beyond that. The same with how the force is kind of whatever the gently caress the director thinks it is in any given movie. At this point it's best to give up on forcing these things to fit a specific mold and just kind of accept the elastic nature of that universe, even if it is dumb and often doesn't hold up to much logical scrutiny.

What does ire me endlessly about the TLJ is the inundation of B plots with everyone not named Rey/Kylo/Luke, and how ultimately virtually every plot thread outside of those three is inconsequential and does not contribute to any sort of meaningful character arc (or I should say, a character arc pulled out of the ether suddenly for this movie alone). I hate to borrow the RLM term but this is "Wheel Spinning: The Movie", and I think a legitimate argument can be made that if you cut out every single scene in that movie that is not Rey/Kylo/Luke it is not only a better film it is also a film that still makes complete sense because nothing about the rest of characters matter with regards to how they are at the start vs. how they are at the end. The rest of the movie is a One Piece filler arc.