Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've finally watched up to episode 72, and can participate in the thread now. I have to jump on the Man of Wax :bandwagon: thanking him for introducing me to this awesome series. This series had me at the first episode, when Yang uses defeat in detail to get out of a bad situation, and has been just getting more awesome ever since. (That was also the first "drat, haven't seen that in a space epic before" moment I had, which, as people who've been watching it can tell you, happens a lot in this series.) The space battles are the best I've seen, but even without them the series would be fantastic; it talks about philosophy, politics, and history on an intelligence level above any other TV show I've ever seen.

Some random moments in the series that I got an enormous kick out of:

When Donald Rumsfeld shows up. In this series there's a lot of painfully relevant talk of the War on Terror, (so much so that if it was aired on TV now conservative pundits would condemn it as more LIEbrial propaganda) but that Free Planets alliance Commodore, Andrew Fork in ep 12 just takes the cake. "It is our solemn duty to spread FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY through the galaxy, so we will begin a crusade of FREEDOM against the empire. The instant we do this, the empire Planets will turn against their former masters and we will be greeted a liberators!" And When Yang points out that supply lines will be badly overstretched: Fork responds "Why do you accent the negative? That's only speculation!" And When Yang points out that any competent opposing general would just flank the Armada and cut those overstretched supply lines, Fork responds "Any negative talk against the plan aids the enemy! Are you some sort of traitor?!" This guy is not like Rumsfeld, he IS Rumsfeld, 15 years before. The acts of man, no matter what the age remain the same, indeed.

When Yang Proposes to Lt. Greenhill. He's hyper nervous, and is trying to find the right way to address her...and she just keeps saying "yes?"

"Lieteniant..."
"Yes?"

"Ah...I mean, Lieteniant Commander..."
"Yes?"

"Miss Greenhill..."
"Yes?"

(Yang thinks for a moment...)

"Fredrica."
(suprised)"Yes?"

Best dialoge I've seen in awhile.

Also, the Kaiser smashing wine glasses always gets a laugh out of me. Most of the other character enjoy a good bottle of wine, but I think the only time we see a glass in Reinhardt's hand is 2 seconds before he dashes it into the ground. Speaking of Reinhardt, does anyone else here think that Griffith in Berserk is inspired by him? They are similar in appearance, and they are similar in ambition and ability. Reinhardt comes accross as much more decent however; more human, essentially, even though he is literally King of the Galaxy.

Man of Wax posted:

Episode 54 was brought to you by: Friedrich Nietzsche as read by Leo Strauss. A line like "Democracy subsumes the power and spirit of the self" is about as Straussian interpretation of Nietzsche as I can think of.

Forget Strauss; that's pure Nietzsche, baby. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Man of Wax posted:

I've always (and by always I mean since a coupel years ago when I first read him) felt Nietzsche is more compatible with democracy than most give him credit for. I don't mean to suggest that he's a proponent, certainly not, but the anti-democratic element of his works is played up substantially by those who feel they would benefit from it. Granted, it's a somewhat selective reading, but Nietzsche's thought evolved over the years and even within a given work (Thus Spoke Zarathustra probably being the finest example) so it's easy to find justification for seemingly contradictory points of view. But hey, this isn't D&D or anything.

I can tell I'm not in DnD because I'm having an intellegent conversation about Nietzsche. :sigh:

Anyway, that 'subsuming' quote reminded me of his ideas on democracy and how anyone not average and equal to everybody else in the democratic group is seen as an intrinsic threat to the democratic group. Nietzsche thought further that this had the effect of making the values of democracy that of conformity and mediocrity, and any idea that was against those values (discipline, strength, Intelligence... essentially individuality) would be slowly and insidiously degraded. (Just as a little back grounder, you can understand why Nietzsche was concerned about this if you see how much he worries not about humanity as a whole, but rather the creation of higher individuals.) You can see that with the way the Alliance treats Yang Wenli; on the one hand when the big bad Empire threatens them, they can't deploy him fast enough, but when there's no imminent threat they grumble and complain that Yang's too powerful or Yang is going to betray them.

You are also completely right to say that Nietzsche is not an anti-democratic zealot some people take him to be. The ascribing of any political viewpoint to Nietzsche will fail in my opinion, since the guy was rigorously anti-political. His was this way because he really hated the politics of his day, and his focus on the individual made him scorn the group actions of politics generally. That, and I think he was very aware that "the cold hunt for truth hunts in no pack."

Anyway...

Reunthal. Dreaming of rape. :ph:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I laughed at Julian's panic-filled reaction to the incoming family dramabomb.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm glad we checked in with the alliance people this episode. I know that they’ve been laying those plans which will be eventually revealed to us and not much else, but I love the character interaction the Alliance cast has going on.

This may sound silly, but watching episode 77, I coulden't help but think "Poor Oberstien. Nobody likes him." :(

Oh, and did anybody notice this?

El Facil is sending Yang reports on Dinosaurs and people marrying GTOs?

What

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 28, 2006

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've been away since the day after 79 came out. I check the forum once, and notice a bunch of spoilers for the new episodes I haven't watched yet. "Hm. Looks like some poo poo went down in the new episodes..."

Then I get home and watch 80-82.

There is not enough :psyduck: in the world to describe how blown my mind is.

I'm glad Yang wasn’t killed by Fork; I howled with laughter at in the end how useless and ineffectual Fork was.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

drat you Chris for getting my hopes up. :argh: I thought the new episode was finally here. What's taking Central Anime so long, anyway? They’re probably spending a few weeks getting the rainbow Karaoke for the OP *just* right...

:smith:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've introduced a friend to LOGH. At first he was like "Oh look they have a Deathstar" :rolleyes: but then I leave him alone for a bit, and discover that in the space of a week he's watched something like 45 episodes, while working a full time job! It is a happy story.

Anyway, my friend has finally watched up to ep 86, and we were discussing the latest developments and what's going to eventually happen. And he had an insight into something that I had totally missed; why Reinhard seems to be hesitating and temporalizing on this issue of an heir. Honestly, I thought he was just shy toward women :shobon: but it's not that. It's because there's no way he can solve this issue. Either he says "my heir and the person who gets power is whoever my genetic decedent is" which makes him into an aristocrat, the thing he most hates. Or he appoints somebody as his heir, which causes huge politcal strife among his staff and possibly gives someone a good excuse to have him assassinated.

It's a microcosm of the problem that the Empire faces...it may not be today, it may not be tomorrow. But if Reinhard doesn’t want to create an aristocratic empire that he's hated since day one, democratic reforms will be necessary.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bumping the thread. Given my vauge understanding of the new LOGH subbing schedule, are we due for 2 more episodes soon?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

sakesniper posted:

Because it only comes once a year? :xd:

:rimshot:

At this rate it will only be another 6 months before Man of Wax can make a new thread entitled "More people should watch Legend of Galactic Heroes because they finally finished subbing it."

I guess the events of the previous episode were inevitable, but you get the feeling that the events in it were way more stressful for the Kaiser, than say, conquering the western half of the galaxy was?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Chris Knight posted:

episode 91

Excellent. I don't know about anybody else, but I always find myself watching the opening. Somewhat because I still expect the previous season's opening, but mainly to laugh at the bad engrish. I also watch the closing every time, mainly because its :3:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

abbad0n posted:

Episode 102

Nice! So quick!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Once again the show demonstrates why it's unbelievably smart. Julien's reasoning about how people who are willing to risk themselves and take action to effect the world being the reason behind war as a fact of life in human history was stunning. And then that is rolled into: "this is why we must fight, even with the odds greatly aganst us, since the Kaiser respects, even personifies these values, and if we get his respect we will be able to have leverage in negotiation." Totally :awesome:

Also:

"I wish the narrator would stop talking about me." :geno:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

One more person has watched the Legend of Galactic Heroes. Though I knew more or less what was going to happen in the end, it was still awesome. Except Oberstien! No! Your last thought was about feeding your cat. :(

patricius posted:

(aside from the general ones they left open that we're clearly intended to decide for ourselves, like whether the Empire will move towards a constitutional monarchy or not)

I took it that with the ending "the legend ends and history begins" was a sign that the chaos of the series was over, and that the empire would adopt some democratic principles, like a constitution. At the very least, it's echoing something Julien said in 108, that the time for great individuals being the center of politics was coming to an end. But it is an open question; that's just my take.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Komrade Hitlerstalin posted:

Holy crap this is awesome. :)

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I've often thought about recommending LoGH in the Trek thread, but the time never seemed right. I've been thinking about how you'd pitch the series to somebody familiar with Star Trek (to echo some of the "how do you pitch this series to people" comments) since most people are familiar with Star Trek even if they haven't seen all the series:

Imagine the Federation from Star Trek. Only, instead of humanity being one big happy family, it is split into two eternally warring factions: one democratic, the other a Monarchy. Now, imagine instead of the Democrats being cast as just the good guys who are always right, the democracy is flawed: Politicians declare war (and get millions of soldiers killed) to win elections, and deliberately use extremist factions to crush decent. The Monarchists are not simple villains either; you end up rooting just as much for them as you do the democrats. Now imagine that these two sides get into massive multi-episode space battles where real life military tactics are used to defeat the other side, and characters you know and love die, simply because they made a mistake or were outwitted by the other side. Now imagine this is captured in a single plot arc lasting 110 episodes. Now imagine that the democratic side has a Marine core that board ships and murders people with axes

(insert awesome gif of the Rosen-Ritter axeing people)

Legend of Galactic Heroes. It's the best space epic you've never seen.

(maybe needs more contrasting Trek references.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Here's a dumb question: is this the oldest thread on all of SA?

On another part of the forums, a goon posted this:

iyaayas01 posted:

Paraphrasing Field Marshal Moltke, there are four kinds of officers: smart and lazy, smart and energetic, dumb and lazy, and dumb and energetic. Smart and lazy officers should be made generals, as their combination of intelligence and natural laziness allows them to discover the easiest and simplest solution to a problem. Smart and energetic officers should be made staff officers for the smart and lazy generals, as they have the drive and intelligence to put together all the products that the smart and lazy generals need to devise the easiest solution to a problem. Dumb and lazy officers are harmless, they are idiots but they don't do anything so they can be ignored. Dumb and energetic officers are a cancer on an organization and must be eliminated at all costs because they do nothing but create irrelevant work for everyone.

Anyway, I had to share as I realize now Yang is almost a arch-type of a good general according to this.