Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roachfiend
Mar 5, 2002
I could practically cut and paste Wraith's response to match mine. I'll word it differently though, just to be a unique snowflake.

I love Wes Anderson's films in general. The Royal Tenenbaums is on my desert island dvd player, and Rushmore is a wonderful film. I've only seen Bottle Rocket once, but I liked it very much. I've started in recent years to actually like Owen Wilson instead of cringing at his creaky pacific northwest speaking voice, and Bill Murray is one of my favorite actors of all time. So what was the problem? I'm not really sure... I wanted to love this movie. I expected to. It just didn't happen.

The cinematography was, as usual, very well executed for one of Anderson's films. The plot was not spectacularly complex nor mundane, but there just wasn't the wonderful surreal scenes you get in Tenenbaums- "Did you say mescaline? -Indeed I did." The best actor was Willem Dafoe, who instead of playing his habitual weird creepy guy, plays a weird creepy German who Actually Has A Heart But It's Underneath That Tough Exterior type. Jeff "I Play The Same Character in Every Movie I'm In" Goldblum makes an appearance as well, but it miay as well been Paul Reubens since his bit was so short. Bill Murray's character was just so numbingly angsty and angry about life in general that I didn't care to see his character progress if there was any growing involved, and his wife was just so unpleasant I didn't care if she ever was a good-hearted person to begin with.

I really wanted to add this flick to my admiration shelf for Wes, but I just can't do it. Looks like this is one of his DVDs that I'm in no hurry to acquire.

Two point loving five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU