Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penysdevyl
Jan 21, 2003

Because of Winn-Dixie
Now, I loved Bottle Rocket and Rushmore, but really didn't take to Tenenbaums. So, unfortunately, I cannot fully approve Life Aquatic. There were many elements that I really loved. Willem Dafoe's neurotic and jealous German guy was amazing. I really enjoyed Cate Blanchett's performence. The music was great and, awesome black dude singing Bowie in portugese=genius.

But there were quite alot of elements that turned me off. First and foremost, OK, Wes, we get it. You had a rocky relationship with your Dad, who was apparently narccistic and possibly emotionally distant. It just felt kinda forced there. Also, the special effects were pretty bad, and more or less useless. It really seemed like he kinda said to himself "wow, I have a bunch of money to work with...what crazy poo poo can I throw into this movie and get away with it." The shootout scenes with the pirates, while humorous, went on way to long.

It really felt, to me, like he sidestepped some really good meaningful stuff to pander to the indie community with trite kitchy backgrounds and wacky quirks. The most interesting relationship in the entire movie, between Ned and Jane, was almost completely lost.

But again, this movie really made me love Cate Blanchett.

I'm going 3.5 on this. I'd see it again, but probably wouldn't buy the DVD the day it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU