Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenny
Jul 4, 2003

Hmm. Something's Not Right Here.
I had very high expectations of this movie going into my viewing, and this movie did not disappoint. I enjoyed this movie because it was not just a stupid comedy, but it actually had a pretty enjoyable theme/message. This is by far one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Quite possibly the best comedy I've ever seen.

I really liked how the use of indirect characterization; especially the way it's applied to Ned. (Zissou's impotence means that Ned probably isn't his son but probably a crazed boy fan grown up, for example) It was a nice change from the ordinary "This is Bob. Bob likes pizza and women. See Bob interact." It gave the movie some much-appreciated depth.

It would have been nice if they would have revealed some tidbits about Zissou's childhood and why he acted how he did with Ned. If they were pressed for time, they should have axed the sub-plot of Zissou's wife's ex-husband. That went nowhere.

Enough with the nit-picking, this is a great movie and definitely worth a viewing if you haven't yet seen it.

5/5

Zenny fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 17, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU