Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
This was probably one of the best films I've seen this year. I've never really been a subscriber to Wes Anderson's artistic choices in his past films, but I found this one to have the most consistent and pleasing aesthetic characteristics.

What I enjoyed the most about The Life Aquatic was the prevalent "fakeness" to everything. The cross-section of the Bellefonte, the stop motion of the animals. Even his crew is fake, "Klaus here used to be a bus driver".

Yet after following Steve and his entourage through their travels, his life really is this amazing.

The technical aspects are also oddly pleasing, Anderson uses an incredibly wide aspect ratio, something seen in huge outdoor epics like Lawrence of Arabia, but Anderson uses it to shoot a movie that consists primarily of close interior shots.

I could really gush on this film, but I just came back from it and my thoughts are quite uncollected.

Edit: 5.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU