Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Cob
May 29, 2004

I'm just saying is all
[QUOTE]Seven Hats came out of the closet to say:

What I enjoyed the most about The Life Aquatic was the prevalent "fakeness" to everything. The cross-section of the Bellefonte, the stop motion of the animals. Even his crew is fake, "Klaus here used to be a bus driver".

This is also what I enjoyed the most about the film. But you forgot to mention that basically all of Steve Zissou's dialogue is fake (which is a good thing). There is such a strong emphasis on documentation in the lives of the crew of the Belafonte. The meta-awareness of their happenings - the potential for it to work out well with only a little editing and a soundtrack - bleeds into facets of their lives, until we get Steve Z. standing up on the deck, drawing a line, reciting "I just don't know what to say. I mean, what can I do?" etc. (he made a big deal after that scene, regarding the fact that he really thought the whole thing was being documented) He's straight reciting dialogue. "Wait, we have to go back and get the dog!" "I want to express my emotions, but I think if I do so I might cry." etc.

Steve has a comfortable niche, he's found a character that works both on and off the screen. Or at least a character he can get away with. I think it's an apt mirror to how we often self-narrate our own lives. We imagine audiences, we use lines that hopefully won't complicate the situation - ones that everyone can understand. He just happens to be really good at it (which, of course, detracts from true sincerity), probably because he actually does have parts of his life documented, and so he's found what works.

You really can't tell which scenes are being filmed for their documentary. Basically all of them would work.

5/5

And an aside: I saw this at the Metro 4 theater. Oh wait, that wasn't my aside. Here: I'm not a big Bill Murray fan (mostly because I think he's overrated, and I'm just responding to that), and I was happily surprised when, throughout this movie, every Murray fanperson in the audience did not laugh obnoxiously at his every move. I think I was actually laughing more than most of the audience. People just seemed so desperate to jump up and prepare to laugh their rear end off at him before the movie even came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU