Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j c spotts
Jan 4, 2005

keep some sunshine on your face
I think it is safe to say you either "get" Wes Anderson or you don't. (and hopefully some folks will agree here.) I am also sure I'm not the first person to make this claim. With the mixed reviews The Life Aquatic has been receiving that clearly proves this may in fact be true.

Prior to viewing this film, I had already been familiarized with what it was that I would be seeing. I was familiar with Anderson's previous work, and that plays an important factor on how some people will take in what happens throughout the movie. Anderson without a doubt has a particular style, at least that's what I am seeing. Picture a historic artist using their specific style while creating a painting and I think you'll know what I mean here. If you put a group of film buffs in a theater without have ever telling them anything about this movie and put this on screen, and have them take guesses of who directed it, chances are they gonna nail Anderson because of his style.

However I am not reviewing Wes Anderson so I will move on to The Life Aquatic w/ Steve Zissou.

Overall this movie was everything I personally expected. I wasn't expecting to be rolling on the floor and down the aisles laughing at the theater. I wasn't expecting this movie to be the "best Murray film in years" either although it just might be. TLAw/SZ was definitely funny at times, not the kind of funny you'd expect from a allstar stand up comic but it was pretty good still. Perhaps my problem is I am easily amused, I'm not sure. Bill Murray could just stand on screen with his shirt off and I would probably be caught laughing. If it was anyone else besides Murray though I doubt it!

TLAw/SZ has somewhere around a seven star cast that makes for some really interesting characters. Not all breathtaking performances, but I don't see that being what the director was going for. Visually and Musically this film rates high to my standards. Good looking sets and the musical theme was pretty cool.

4 / 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU