Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
OK, since it's based on another source, I'll start off by listing my prejudices. I read all the books, yeah, all of 'em. But I really only enjoyed the first three. I no longer own the books and don't remember them that well, but they were pretty funny when I was in middle school.

That out of the way, I came out of this movie feeling like I had spent all day reading the fan forums for a bad webcomic. The movie was like a filmed version of the Necrocomicon, endlessly repeated jokes that, while once funny, have lost all their shine due to repetition. An endless purgatory of Letterman reading the same Top 10 list over and over and over.

Perhaps this will be a different experience for those that haven't read the books. Maybe they will enjoy it more? Or maybe they won't get it at all, I don't know, I'm not one of those people.

There were some pretty funny parts, but... you mostly saw them in the previews. Preview which were quite a bit funnier than the actual movie.

A high point are the Vogons. Very funny looking, with some clever homages to Brazil in their design. Jim Henson's creature shop can, as far as I've seen, do no wrong.

Most of the actors do what they can with what they've been given. Mos Def does a particularly good job with what is otherwise a pretty weak role. Sam Rockwell, one of my regular favorites, does a pretty good job as well, but wound up wearing a bit thin on me as the movie continued. Martin Freeman does a good job as the everyman Aurthur, but Zooey Deschanel (what the hell kind of name is that?) is cute for about 10 seconds before she becomes obnoxious. I don't think it's her fault, though, as she's got some of the worst lines I've heard outside of open mic night at the Improv. "That won't work on me, I'm already a woman."

Multiple plot and story items go completely unresolved or undeveloped, the plot about the POV gun, the vice-president's story and the most baffling the thing abou the machine that can make anything you want just by sticking your face into it. What the bloody hell was that about? Not only was it never used after being introduced, a basic violation of film-making rules, it has been pointed out to me by my roomate that she never even ate the drat doughnut- consequently, it must not have been what ths "really wanted." And yes, I'm being nitpicky, but it was just stupid.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. The audience I was with really seemed to enjoy themselves, laughing at every single joke and gag like it was the funniest thing they'd ever seen. Maybe it was. They also laughed at the trailer for the new Herbie movie.

1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU