Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Entropy
Sep 19, 2002
I'm a rabid fan of everything Douglas Adams has touched. I've been looking forward to this movie for years. Personally, I came out of the theatre with the impression that the universe is more sensible and less sinister place than I'd thought it to be.

I went into the theatre with but two expectations:
a) The HHG2G is definitively incorrect. I expected the movie to stray from, and even contradict the book.
b) I was not walking into the film to have someone narate the books to me. I was going to watch a movie, a completely different medium, and that though the spirit of the humour may remain, the means by which it was conveyed would surely be different.

I adored the movie.

I thought the vogon's were brilliant. From afar they looked like hunched beuracrats queing up. Close up, they were festering, disgusting, and almost completely in-human. The scene where they save Trillian reminded me of going to the DMV, or filing for financial aid. I felt that they breathed a new life into the race Douglas Adams had described.

I found the new material to be on the mark. The Guide entry about the Point-of-View gun was great, and totally appropriate. I read somewhere that Douglas said Trillian was always such a wooden character because he just didn't know how to write women. In retrospect, I figured that that bit is from his original screen play, and that he was taking a shot on himself and men like him. I laughed. Frankly, the loose ends didn't concern me at all. The movie's about Arthur. Ford, and particularly Zaphod are extraneous characters. It may be a bit irresponsible to the audience, but I'd be perfectly comfortable if a new movie came out and they just picked up loose ends as they were convenient. It just doesn't bother me

It was a very busy movie. I could see how those unacquainted with the books could get confused. It struck me that they were doing as much as they could in a reasonable amount of time. It wouldn't suprise me in the least if "missing" book moments will be found in deleted scenes on the DVD.

I liked the love interest. I was suprised Adams never did more on it in the books. It struck me that the movie dipped into Fenchurch and Arthur's dynamic in So Long and Thanks For All the Fish.

About Slartibartfast and the ending He was just great. He was always a sage character in the books, and I felt that he pulled it off well. His whole speil about "None of it makes sense, and there's nothing to be done about it. Just grab on to what makes you happy, bud. That only works if you actually go and find what makes you happy". The juxta position of that speech and the view of Arthur whizzing around the re-construction of what he once knew as his home was just great. I mean, way to make a point, right?

I loved, adored the ending. Adams was a huge convservationalist, and I thought it was a nice ode to him. It's nice to be reminded of all the beauty in the world if you can get out of the cities. Closing the movie with "For Douglas" almost made me cry.

That's my spin on things.
I've never felt so vindicated walking out of a theater: 5/5

I'd recommend anyone go see it. Is your $8 and two hours so valuable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU