Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I'm a newer fan of the book, in fact the main reason I finally decided to read it was because I heard the movie was coming out, so it gave me the push to pick it up. I totally fell in love with the book, and read it pretty quickly. I also have recently seen the TV show, which though I found enjoyable, I also had some problems with.

So what did I think of the movie? I was quite disappointed actually. I think a lot of the people were done quite well, except Trilian who I found very annoying. I think the big problem I had was the part where Arthur gives the "only question that matters to me" speech, I seriously got upset that they did that, it felt totally out of place. Also, I didn't care too much for the way they did the two heads on Zaphod, perhaps it would have been better to me if they did two actual heads, but I guess there is always the fear it will look as bad as the TV series did.

As good as some parts are, I think it just really can't hold a candle to the book, and perhaps that's what turned me off. I'm sure some people would like it if they didn't know better, but I'm not sure how somebody who read the book could actually find this movie to be fine, I can by no means be called a nickpicker when it comes to this book (as I've only read it once, just a couple months ago), but some of the stuff erked me.

Plus the fact that the TV series was about 3 hours long, covered so much more, and STILL seemed to flow better then this film.

Overall, 3/5, watch it to kill time... read the book if you want to find enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU