Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potrod
Aug 9, 2003
The Argus
Bleh.

I am a HUGE fan of the books, and I had expected this to be absolutely terrible. While it was, in my opinion, mediocre as both a movie and a book adaptation, I didn't really find it that unenjoyable, so I suppose it was better than I expected it to be.

The dolphin song disappointed me, I just didn't think much of it. The film gets big bonus points with me for using the original theme song from the radio and TV series, with an extended "twangy guitar thing" intro part, which I thought was great. It was of no importance at all, but I got a kick out of it.

I did not care at all about Martin Freeman's Arthur Dent. Mos Def was surprisingly good, as was Trillian (much better than the TV Series' Trillian, and the radio series' Trillian as well, for that matter). Sam Rockwell was incredibly annoying, for the most part.

My main beef, and I assume this is a lot of peoples' main beefs, was the various changes to the plot. I don't care if Douglas Adams wrote the screenplay or approved it or whatever, most of the plot changes added completely unneccessary confusion, and were pretty much pointless and added a frantic air to the film that I actually thought both the novels and TV Series (Which I loved) lacked. The character of Humma Kavula seemed to exist for the sole purpose of introducing the POV gun, which seemed to exist for the sole purpose of giving us a few cheap laughs. I wouldn't mind that so much, except that, to get the end result of a few cheap laughs (along with SOME cleverness on the way, I suppose), the movie takes a large chunk of valuable screen time, which could have easily been replaced with funnier, more intelligent content that was actually in the book. The romance sub-plot and typical Hollywood cop-out ending were also kind of irritating.

To be fair, the movie was probably doomed from the start for me, for the simple reason that I believed, and still believe, that everything but Trillian and the special effects from the original BBC TV series were more or less perfect. As others have mentioned, it seemed kind of lame just waiting for the jokes from the novel to be read aloud on screen, and yet doing the same exact thing for the BBC series cracks me up even after watching it for the 10th time.

The time constraints was a problem, but it was exacerbated by the addition of new (mostly lame) material. And I honestly don't think the 2 hour limit is any excuse. The TV Series, which it is IMPOSSIBLE for me not to compare the movie to, managed to fit the first TWO books in only a 3 hour timespan, and even though it was abridged, it still managed to feel complete and not frantic at all, unlike the film. The franticness really annoyed me.

quote:

The movie was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike the book.
that, and the fact that it was just mediocre, just about sums it up for me. Even with its terribly low budget, the TV series did it several hundred times better.

2/5 - It's basically a mess, but some of it works, and most of it looks very nice. Great special effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU