Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince McMahon
Dec 18, 2003
This could really have been a superb movie. Unfortunately, they decided to remove pretty much everything that was funny about the books and the TV series. The acting was pretty bad - Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent was an awful choice. Arthur Dent was supposed to be a polite and reserved Englishman, really not coping with the events taking place - not a giggly buffoon. Zaphod was probably the only character that they managed to pull off.

There were a few things that would have made no sense to people who aren't familiar with the books - particularly the towels (they were supposed to be vitally important for the humans to survive hyperspace). For some reason, the producers thought that shortening the jokes would keep the humour, but they took it to the extreme. The most notable part was with the demolition crew, which shortened a few minutes of dialog into "I had to go into the basement". This approach pretty much killed any chances of the film being as funny as the book. However, I may be biased as I've been spoilt by the books and the TV series. I recommend that anyone who was disappointed by the films track down the TV series and see how the books should have been viewed.

All in all, I'll give it 2/5. It wasn't the worst movie in the world, but it does the books no justice whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU