Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gerogarygaygaygay
May 30, 2004

by DocEvil
I enjoyed the movie, but I felt that they tried to cram a whole lot into the two hours and didn't really take their time as much as they could have. Of course, even though they essentially screamed "SEQUEL" at the end, there's almost no way that's going to happen, so I can understand the pacing problems. It felt like a series of four or five joke setups and then the end. Douglas' writing was always more suited to long-form stories because of his habit of following odd ideas to their fullest.

The nods to the TV series were fun, though, and I liked the overall feel of the movie. Mos Def was shakey at first (overacting a bit, I thought) but I felt that once he was drunk on gargleblaster, it worked more fluidly and he quickly embodied my favorite character from the books. Zaphod was perfect, and Trillian was probably the weakest member of the cast. The lovey-dovey scenes weren't as terrible as everyone says, I didn't think Trillian was very wooden, but they were paced very poorly. All of a sudden, Arthur is making overtures of love and Zaphod is explaining to Trillian that she is desperately in love with Arthur. It felt like I missed the middle of the movie.

I loved the set/costume design, Deep Thought especially, and Marvin, although they should have directed Rickman's voice more rather than have it feel so disembodied as it was. Eddie was the same actor (or at least sounded the same) as in the radio series, I don't know if anyone else caught that, and I knew I'd love the movie when the original theme song started up. The nods were great all around.

4/5 for pacing problems but dear god they had the douglas-head planet from Starship Titanic
Pros: Family-friendly, and clearly kept Douglas' humor (although I picked out a few moments of Chicken Run-type humor bleeding through).
Cons: Pacing problems, pacing problems, pacing problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU