Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirchode
Jun 25, 2004

This is my absolute favorite book of all time and for most of the duration of the movie I laughed and laughed because it was all one big inside joke for me. There were many fine jokes kept in tact, which I enjoyed.

However, if you haven't read MJ Simpson's review of the movie, I would suggest reading it because I'd pretty much say the same things. The makers of the movie completely missed Douglas's sense of humor and subtle wit. The things in the movie spoken by the Guide were the best parts if you asked me. Don't get me wrong, I thought the movie was superbly cast (Arthur, Ford and Zaphod all did marvelous jobs), but the entire production was missing the charm that just oozed out of the books.

For example, so many of the sci-fi-like elements of the book were just big jokes. The names of the different areas of space, the strange names of planets and species, strange yet funny objects... All this translated to the screen was just ho-hum standard nerdery. It just didn't work.

Bottom line is that they just didn't "get" what Douglas had written.

3/5

sirchode fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 4, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU