Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kung-fu Yeti
Jul 5, 2004

by Ozma
Just saw it tonight, and I liked it for the most part. As many others have said, the number one problem with this is the pacing. The movie just doesn't flow very well, and feels rushed. I think the filmmakers could have afforded to lengthen or slow down some parts so that the casual viewer is informed about some of the more significant stuff. Things like the importance of towels, the babelfish, and the Heart of Gold. Even the whole business with Magrathea and Deep Thought aren't really explained fully. I'm not sure if the casual viewer knew what the gently caress, to tell the truth. The filmmakers didn't really make it clear exactly what the mice were and what they did, and what their relationship with Magrathea was.

I didn't really like the subplot with what's-his-name (John Malkovich's character). Like others have said, it never really got resolved, and that's a big flaw. It just seemed unnecessary, and it was stupid that they got rid of Zaphod's second head. And the love story was rolleyes-worthy.

On the other hand, there was lots of other stuff that was handled very well. The cast was great, especially Marvin, Ford, Zaphod, and Arthur. The only problem was that they didn't illustrate how smart Trillian is [she's supposed to be an expert at mathematics and :science:]. The Vogons looks great, and the special effects were top-notch. Very, very nice looking film. I loved the addition of the main theme song (seriously, I was worried they wouldn't have it). The "Thanks for All the Fish" song was okay, I guess.

All in all, I give the movie a 4.0 overall. Not bad at all :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU