Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Taima posted:

Ok, I will totally do that, always on the hunt for a new place. But Orenchi by no means sucks, so I will assume you're exaggerating to make a point. Maybe you aren't a big tonkotsu guy?

Have a favorite banh mi in S. San Jose?

Plenty of good Banh Mi in South San Jose. Phat Tri is good. I like Lynda's sandwiches and Pho 90 next door is delicious. You can't go wrong.

Orenchi's fine but its become increasingly salty over the past few years. Santouka kicks its rear end for straight up ramen though.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Ehhh maybe we'll find somewhere else to eat then. Are there any other seafood counter or casual seafood places we should go instead?

Swan Oyster's fine. Go there just to so you can say you have. If you want to cross the bridge, Fish. is pretty decent for casual seafood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Yeah I've been to a lot of banh mi places in the area, just wondering what people like best. Thank you for the recommendation, I will go to phat tri on Thursday :)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wife and I are going to San Fransisco for the first time in late August, any recommendations on where to stay? We want to do a bunch of touristy stuff (museums, good food, etc) and don't want to have to drive a lot, but we'd also like to keep a budget. We were looking at hotels in the city but most are like $200/night, which seems insane. Most of the cheaper vacation rentals look like they're in Berkeley, I'm guessing because college students are gone for the summer? Most of the museums seem to be near union square, should I just stay in that area?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 14, 2016

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

It depends on what you want to do, but you don't need a car for most of the things to do in the city. Citypass comes with a free bus pass too. Westin, Hyatt Regency, palace are all close to BART and relatively nice for the price ~$260 a night. Whitcomb is not in a nice area of town and the hotel is old but its about $100 a night cheaper. If you have to stay in SF and you do not have a car it is an option. Chancellor hotel is in a great area and a little over $200 a night. Airbnb is pretty popular here. I stayed in the Jack London inn in Oakland and it was under $100 a night but nothing special, but much nicer than the mcarthur motels. To take BART to the city is $3.45 a person each way and I think the hotel taxes are cheaper in Oakland than SF. If you are really on a budget there are some motels on Macarthur but I would not recommend staying there. I have no experience with the hostels in the city but I know they are cheaper than a hotel. If you do have a car many of the hotels in the easy bay have free parking and you can take bart to the city. Parking in SF around downtown is $30+ a night. The Doubletree at the berkeley marina and the Hilton in Emeryville are also good choices with parking. Berkeley is a cool place to hang out and shop for at least one day too.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If you're flying in, I wouldn't even rent a car and just stay in SF. Staying in East Bay means you need to wrap things up by midnight, if you plan on using BART (which you do, if you don't want to drive). I had my mother stay here, and she said it was fine. The room was on the small side, but the location is hard to beat. It is possibly noisy, but if you can get a room that isn't on/facing Gough, then it will probably be fine. It's still around $200/night, but I cannot imagine hotels in Oakland or Berkeley being significantly cheaper, at least not in the parts you would want to stay.

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
I'm looking for somewhere to rent a bike and some good cycling routes. I will be staying in San Mateo but I'm interested anywhere I can get to via public transit

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
What are some nice public gardens in the Bay Area? I've been to Filoli and the Berkeley Rose Garden, the Conservatory & Botanical Garden in GG park.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TildeATH posted:

What are some nice public gardens in the Bay Area? I've been to Filoli and the Berkeley Rose Garden, the Conservatory & Botanical Garden in GG park.

The UC Berkeley Blake Garden is free and pretty nice just to chill and read or walk your dog. Some good views there too. The lovely part is it's only open M-F 8:30 - 4:30 so it pretty much excludes anyone working (i.e. me unless I take the day off :()

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I plan on going to SF pride this weekend, but I've never been to one before, and I'm totally unfamiliar with the area. I'll be driving in from Sacramento. If the rally is in the Civic Center Plaza, where would be a good place to park for the day, and how should we get around town? What's the best stuff to see at the rally, and what are some good places to check out around town? Any other suggestions for a first time Pride-goer? Thanks!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

park at an outlying Bart station and take Bart in. no, seriously. yes, i know what Google maps says. park at a bart station.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

park at an outlying Bart station and take Bart in. no, seriously. yes, i know what Google maps says. park at a bart station.

North Berkeley, Rock Ridge, and West Oakland are my favorites.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Coming from the south I nearly always park at Millbrae and catch Bart --it's free to park there on weekends and holidays too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A Banana posted:

I'm looking for somewhere to rent a bike and some good cycling routes. I will be staying in San Mateo but I'm interested anywhere I can get to via public transit

I don't know about the rental part. But from San Mateo you can easily access the bay trail, which is ideally set up for bicycling.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Thanks everyone for the advice on parking. Any tips or recommendations for Pride specifically?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Coming from Sac you can even take Amtrak in. There's bound to be a shitload of traffic on 80, just because it's a summer weekend, and doubly because of pride. Taking the train might still be slower and will definitely be more expensive (unless you're by yourself in a 10mpg jeep or something) but you'll know exactly how long it will take and you can start the party a lot earlier if that's your thing.

Station codes are SAC -> SFC (transfer to a bus in Emeryville that will wait for your train but is subject to bay bridge traffic)

or

SAC -> RIC (transfer to BART at the Richmond station, not subject to traffic at all but is an uncoordinated transfer; BART doesn't wait for Amtrak to arrive like Amtrak's Emeryville bus does, so you could be waiting up to 20 minutes for a BART train)

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 24, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

literally this big posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice on parking. Any tips or recommendations for Pride specifically?

Sunscreen, light cloths, water, and don't take free poo poo unless it is bottled water and condoms.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goooons, a little bit quiet here but in 3 days I will be visiting SF!

Got my internet set up, place booked and it's been 5 years since I was here. This time I'm only staying for 5 days with my girlfriend and we will be visiting her cousin. We are major foodies and I did some basic search and glanced through this thread.

What do you guys think of this list?

http://sf.eater.com/maps/san-francisco-iconic-foods-classic-dishes-best-drinks

And I do remember seeing some of you guys hang out in the photography thread, if anyone wants to meet up and talk about shooting pictures or camera nerd that would be awesome. It's been a while since I am active in the hobby but I just updated my lightroom catalog. Just want to check in with you guys, any recommended local film/used camera stores? I'm tempted to buy a Mamiy 645 or some old 5D and a bunch of slide film.

The only thing I'm bummed about is that I couldn't book tickets to Alcatraz in time but I'm super excited to spend the summer in the West Coast and do all sorts of West Coast things like running/ going biking/ enjoying summer. I'm based in Hong Kong and am too used to hot muggy summers and sweaty South East Asian holidays. I guess I will be squeamish about tipping as well. Oh well!

It's probably buried here somewhere, sorry to bring it up, but can someone recommend

1. Personal favourite burrito place - I don't mind taking an uber/taxi to go there. I'm one of those crazy guys who flies to Tokyo to eat at some sushi restaurant and meet up with Tokyo goons
2. South American restaurant? It would be cool to try small bites here and there and see the differences but a sit down restaurant is good too!
3. New American style bakery - I can't wait to get my hands on some hard wheaty bread without sugar. In East Asia fancy bread tends to only be the French variety if you are lucky.
4. Eat a California roll - IN CALIFORNIA. More like buy loads of cheap advocado (it's expensive in East Asia and not as good)

Since it's only a 5 day trip and a long flight, we will probably be jet lagged :smith: and I'm going to be in tripod camera photo mode so we won't cover too much ground. There's

Day 1. Mission District and lingering around
Day 2. Fisherman's Wharf + Golden Gate Bridge
Day 3. Land's End + Walt Disney House
Day 4. Fingerscrossed rent a car and drive to Montery Aquarium. It was super nice when i was there and it's the setting for Finding Dory
Day 4 Alternative - MEET UP WITH GOONS

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

caberham posted:

1. Personal favourite burrito place - I don't mind taking an uber/taxi to go there. I'm one of those crazy guys who flies to Tokyo to eat at some sushi restaurant and meet up with Tokyo goons
2. South American restaurant? It would be cool to try small bites here and there and see the differences but a sit down restaurant is good too!
3. New American style bakery - I can't wait to get my hands on some hard wheaty bread without sugar. In East Asia fancy bread tends to only be the French variety if you are lucky.
4. Eat a California roll - IN CALIFORNIA. More like buy loads of cheap advocado (it's expensive in East Asia and not as good)

1. El Farolito is my favorite though some people prefer La Taqueria. Both good. Maybe get both and split it with your girlfriend/cousin? Since you're Day 1 is in the Mission it's pretty much right there so no need for a taxi. I'd also recommend Lyft over Uber just because Travis is a douchebag and Uber's practices are super lovely, at least you can tip on Lyft.
2. What do you mean by South American? Peruvian? Chilean? or something like that?
3. Bakery? There's a shitton and all good. Maybe Arizmendi? Tartine Bakery is also popular though I don't remember if they were good or not.
4. I don't eat sushi so can't help you there.

Also since I grew up in Sonoma County so I'm a big north bay fan, I'm gunna shill an Alternate-Alternate Day 4. Rent a car, go up to Point Reyes and hike around (lighthouse, earthquake trail, limontour beach, maybe walk around Pt Reyes Station),, Drive up 1 and hit up Bodega Bay for some good seafood for dinner, chill at Goat Rock or something. Also hit up Wildflour Bakery near Freestone as it's the best bakery in the bay. Maybe hit up some other little towns like Guerneville and hike around Armstrong Woods or something (a less tourist Miur Woods). Maybe not in that particular order but there's a lot to do.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 17, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I wanna help you since you helped me in the Japan thread but I am just a poor boy from the East Bay.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

Sorry, I wanna help you since you helped me in the Japan thread but I am just a poor boy from the East Bay.

So how is East Bay like? Is it starting to be all gentrified or is it still the place where the masses live and commute to San Francisco for work? Or is it like Central California/Fresno/Desolate wasteland full of grow ops or bikers or meth dens

Xaris posted:

1. El Farolito is my favorite though some people prefer La Taqueria. Both good. Maybe get both and split it with your girlfriend/cousin? Since you're Day 1 is in the Mission it's pretty much right there so no need for a taxi. I'd also recommend Lyft over Uber just because Travis is a douchebag and Uber's practices are super lovely, at least you can tip on Lyft.
2. What do you mean by South American? Peruvian? Chilean? or something like that?
3. Bakery? There's a shitton and all good. Maybe Arizmendi? Tartine Bakery is also popular though I don't remember if they were good or not.

Also since I grew up in Sonoma County so I'm a big north bay fan, I'm gunna shill an Alternate-Alternate Day 4. Rent a car, go up to Point Reyes and hike around (lighthouse, earthquake trail, limontour beach, maybe walk around Pt Reyes Station),, Drive up 1 and hit up Bodega Bay for some good seafood for dinner, chill at Goat Rock or something. Also hit up Wildflour Bakery near Freestone as it's the best bakery in the bay. Maybe hit up some other little towns like Guerneville and hike around Armstrong Woods or something (a less tourist Miur Woods). Maybe not in that particular order but there's a lot to do.

Thanks for the advice! Looking at the map those two burrito places are right next to each other. Is it like Pat's vs Geno's in Philly? it's just for tourists and everyone else eats at other places Wow I just found senor sigsig! Sigsig, in a burrito? Sounds cool

Yeah I'm looking for Peruvian/Chilean/etc cuisine. Something different and not so "tex-mex" I guess.

And I guess I will try to take Lyft instead of uber. Uber is a lovely company but its app works world wide.

quote:

:staredog:

caberham fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 18, 2016

Bolt
Dec 14, 2004
k
El Farolito is the best burrito place in SF and I recommend this place for Peruvian food: http://www.limonrotisserie.com/
For sushi, if you don't require ambiance Lazy Fish in the sunset is real quality from local markets at ridiculous prices. You can get a platter of 100 sushis and eat them in golden gate park a block away.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

caberham posted:

So how is East Bay like? Is it starting to be all gentrified or is it still the place where the masses live and commute to San Francisco for work? Or is it like Central California/Fresno/Desolate wasteland full of grow ops or bikers or meth dens
I actually live in East Bay, and it varies a lot. But predominately where people just live and commute to SF though a lot of people also commute & work in downtown Oakland as well (especially in my field of civil engineering consulting theres a ton of offices there). At the same time many East Bay cities are somewhat independent and quite it's own thing though. It really has it's own good food that holds its own up to SF (and often a bit cheaper), arts/music/vistas-hiking/yadda yadda. I rarely actually go to SF for anything besides work anymore and mostly just stick around here.

Some places are already "nice" as their whole point of their original conception was track-house suburban well-off flight cities (Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Danville, Pleasanton, Dublin, Moraga, etc). Other places like Oakland suffered from that during like 60s-90s but has seen a lot of revival and "gentrification" (and that's not a bad thing at all) as well as other areas as people seek cheaper (and maybe greener) pastures away from SF.

Either way nothing like Central Valley.

Yeah it's just never been my thing, I'll eat it if someone really wants to go there but I'll never seek out a sushi place on my own. I dunno I'm a failafornian I guess :(

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Just Oakland, Berkeley and Emeryville being Gentrified. Because of this the people who wanna live here are being priced out and either going to their home state(nope) or being pushed to San Leandro and beyond. Me and other locals feel the change and are turning into old farts who talking about how it isn't as good as it once was.

Eventually I see folks being pushed to fremont and then the meth wars.

Come eat our food, it is mostly the same ingredients with shorter lines and lower prices.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Go to La Corneta instead, it's 2 blocks away and never has a giant line.

I was down that way a few weeks ago and there's a great Middle Eastern store neat 26th called Samirami Imports that has super cheap bulk spices.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

qirex posted:

Go to La Corneta instead, it's 2 blocks away and never has a giant line.

I was down that way a few weeks ago and there's a great Middle Eastern store neat 26th called Samirami Imports that has super cheap bulk spices.

Yeah, but the reason people don't go to la corneta is because it just isn't as good. It's barely better than chipotle in my opinion. El Farolito is legit.

As far as Salvadorian stuff, there's definitely a few pupusa places and at least one that's open late for the drunk kids

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Bolt posted:

El Farolito

literally anywhere in the mission that says Taqueria out front is going to have delicious food, take off the training wheels and go wander

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cool thanks guys. Still a bit jet lagged this morning but walked around the piers and china town. Going to go out tonight for food. Guess tomorrow is cable car museum and land' end

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The Gilroy garlic festival is coming up. Is it worth the drive?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

lampey posted:

Worth going to once if you're local: (a) to see the sheer level of civic organization it requires, and (b) as evidence that it is possible to put too much garlic on food.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 24, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's fun here but portions are too big

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lampey posted:

Honestly, depends on the weather. The one time I went it was hot as gently caress, miserably crowded full of everyone sweating balls and people would just sit on the ground since there wasn't a lot of setaing, and yeah even as huge garlic fan who'll triple amount of garlic in recipes I thought sometimes it was a bit much outside of a novelty. There were some fun novel eats though. I agree its probably worth going once but make sure its not hotter than satan's rear end in a top hat after binging on indie crafted reaper hot sauce extract

caberham posted:

It's fun here but portions are too big

portions in SF are actually small compared to rest of america, which is why we're fat

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 25, 2016

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So I'm flying out to the states in a month, in and out of San Fran, and need to pull my finger out and sort accommodation.

I have three-four days at the start of the trip in which I'll want a half decent hotel to crash in and wait out the jet lag - would I be better off just chilling out near the airport or head into the city proper and try to soak in some atmosphere?

I'll also be there for a week at the end of my trip, I was looking at some Airbnb options and after reading the thread I'm leaning towards Mission, but Ideally I'd like to find a place where I can go out for all hours - I'm from Sydney, Australia and we got some really restrictive laws down here a couple of years ago that murdered the night life and I'd like an opportunity to relive the glory days of my late teens out on the town until the sun rises.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Stay in the city. There's nothing near the airport.

The city is small enough that it doesn't matter toooo much where you stay (Mission is fine and there's a lot going on there), because a bus or taxi ride home will be relatively cheap. However alcohol stops being served at 1:30am and most places shutter by 3am, so the only all-night places are cocaine-and-ecstasy-fueled dance dives like the End-Up.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

minato posted:

However alcohol stops being served at 1:30am and most places shutter by 3am, so the only all-night places are cocaine-and-ecstasy-fueled dance dives like the End-Up.

Well I certainly didn't do my research, that's actually worse than here (nobody in after 1:30am, booze stops being served at 3am - Casinos are exempt because "Reasons").

Thanks for the feedback, and yeah your city is tiny.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Rougey posted:

I'd like an opportunity to relive the glory days of my late teens out on the town until the sun rises.

Nevada's the state you're looking for. No alcohol sales 2am-6am anywhere in California.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just came back from San Francisco and thanks to goons here for advice.

From my experience, take uber pools everywhere. I took the Bart once and it wasn't that great. I feel that it's a compact city to get around and I stayed at the Hyatt at the embacadero because i didn't want to mess around with Airbnb checkin. Real estate is kind of expensive and you get better value renting Airbnb, you see lots of people renting out their basement or some other section of their house.

The financial district is kind of boring and dead like downtown Sydney but it's convenient enough to go to other areas easily.

Highly recommend you renting a car online and drive to the surrounding areas like Marin, Monterey, Napa. Or take an uber there I guess.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

caberham posted:

I just came back from San Francisco and thanks to goons here for advice.
so what did you end up going to and doing?

but yeah BART isn't that great for getting around unless youre just going to mission/powell/civic/fidi corridor which is fine, there's a lot available along that route but definitely still a small portion of the city.

and yeah fidi is a complete wasteland--especially on saturday/sunday or even after 3PM M-Fri. even most of the starbucks/cvs/walgreens/etc are closed. only really some lovely subways and the 7/11 are even open. i work there and p much don't bother leaving my office very often. Fortunately it's not a long walk up to North Beach or Powell area or something.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 10, 2016

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Xaris posted:

so what did you end up going to and doing?

but yeah BART isn't that great for getting around unless youre just going to mission/powell/civic/fidi corridor which is fine, there's a lot available along that route but definitely still a small portion of the city.

and yeah fidi is a complete wasteland--especially on saturday/sunday or even after 3PM M-Fri. even most of the starbucks/cvs/walgreens/etc are closed. only really some lovely subways and the 7/11 are even open. i work there and p much don't bother leaving my office very often. Fortunately it's not a long walk up to North Beach or Powell area or something.

Kearny street is pretty good for lunch and is the closest thing to a food paradise in fidi. This is me walking from Embarcadero backwards though from the Ferry building.

Ferry building is so overpriced and stupid now. It used to be an awesome novelty 8 years ago but its kind of gone to poo poo since then in my opinion.

Went here recently , right next to Air BNB HQ - http://www.bellotasf.com/

Its a pretty good Spanish place but its a little too much $$$ for what shouldn't be so costly.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shadowhand00 posted:

Its a pretty good Spanish place but its a little too much $$$ for what shouldn't be so costly.

sf.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm going to be staying in the FiDi Hilton next week for 6 days. I've been to the city once before on a 2 day trip and did the whole FW, Pier 39, GGB tourist thing.Basically I'm just taking a vacation to enjoy the city and take photographs.

I've got a long list of breweries and places to eat from this thread, and I'm just looking for one of a kind things to do or see or eat. I'll try anything once, but I'm not a fan of loud bars or clubs. I'd rather just chill somewhere and let it all sink in.

I have plans to walk around the Financial District and Chinatown to take pictures (semi-pro/hobbyist), take a tour of Sausilito and Muir Woods.

I know enough to be careful of the TL and Mission at night and not to be an idiot. I'm from L.A., so I'm not a bumpkin.

I also have a CA MMJ recommendation, so if there are any dispensaries you guys can recommend or places to smoke.

Also, how much does a Uberx/Lyft cost from SFO to my hotel area?

Thanks a lot.

• Locked thread