Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crass
Mar 22, 2002

enjoy the show
Since this is the MEGATHREAD I thought I'd post here. I've read a lot of posts about where to live but I need more touristy information. I'm staying in San Mateo and attending training for the next 4 days or so and need some tips on how to spend my evenings. I'm looking for good restaurants and night spots in the San Fran area. Nothing too meat market-y, although if this is the MEGATHREAD someone else might be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionattackgoose
May 4, 2004

by Ozma?
You people are really trying to scare me away from Alameda :sweatdrop:

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる

quote:

danifestmestny came out of the closet to say:

Seniore's on 19th is some of the best pizza I've ever had. If you need help finding it it's a few blocks north of the SF State campus, if you still need help just go to the campus and ask a random student, chances are he/she can give you exact directions.

Hello there fellow Seniore's lover! In between 19th Avenue and Taraval with a Shell gas station across the block, is really easy to spot it.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
My wife and I just moved from our one bedroom apartment at Church and Market to a three bedroom house in the Outer Richmond. Ask me about paying $2,500 a month in rent :(

quote:

qirex came out of the closet to say:
:words:

sup qirex

sinistersimian
May 24, 2004

go ape for our cause

quote:

Crass came out of the closet to say:
Since this is the MEGATHREAD I thought I'd post here. I've read a lot of posts about where to live but I need more touristy information. I'm staying in San Mateo and attending training for the next 4 days or so and need some tips on how to spend my evenings. I'm looking for good restaurants and night spots in the San Fran area. Nothing too meat market-y, although if this is the MEGATHREAD someone else might be interested.

are you interested/willing in going into the city itself? what kind of food do you like? what's your price range? what kinda night spots would you be looking for (dance club, lounge, dive bar)?

Crass
Mar 22, 2002

enjoy the show

quote:

sinistersimian came out of the closet to say:

are you interested/willing in going into the city itself? what kind of food do you like? what's your price range? what kinda night spots would you be looking for (dance club, lounge, dive bar)?
Sure I'm willing to go pretty much anywhere. Don't sweat the price range, and I think I'm generally looking for either something loungy or a dive bar. I'm not particularly interested in dance clubs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

quote:

Sure I'm willing to go pretty much anywhere. Don't sweat the price range, and I think I'm generally looking for either something loungy or a dive bar. I'm not particularly interested in dance clubs.

There is a great loungy jazz club/coctail bar in the Mission I think at Mission and 22nd, I think it's called Bruno's. It's a bit expensive but the cocktails are pretty drat good. As far as dive bars there are a loving billion of them.

sinistersimian
May 24, 2004

go ape for our cause

quote:

i say hit the mission. bruno's is good but my fav's in the area (bar-wise) are:

drinks:
zeitgeist (dive bar at duboce and valencia)
casanova lounge (lounge near 16th and mission)
amnesia (lounge-ish place near 20th and valencia)
elbo room (bar and venue...depending on what's playing)

food:
little baobab (caribbean creole food near 19th and mission)
luna park (comfortish food at 18th and valencia)
tokyo gogo (awesome sushi near 16th and valencia)
platanos (great latin american at 18th and guerrero)

lemme know if none of those strike your fancy

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

quote:

i say hit the mission. bruno's is good but my fav's in the area (bar-wise) are:

drinks:
zeitgeist (dive bar at duboce and valencia)
casanova lounge (lounge near 16th and mission)
amnesia (lounge-ish place near 20th and valencia)
elbo room (bar and venue...depending on what's playing)

food:
little baobab (caribbean creole food near 19th and mission)
luna park (comfortish food at 18th and valencia)
tokyo gogo (awesome sushi near 16th and valencia)
platanos (great latin american at 18th and guerrero)

lemme know if none of those strike your fancy

I wouldn't call Zeitgeist a "dive bar" anymore but it's certainly a nice place to go drink beer on a sunny day.

The best sushi in the city is Ebizu in the inner Sunset (9th and Lincoln). loving expensive though.

Oh and another place you must check out is Me Lindo Yucatan, which is insanely good Mexican food from the Yucatan province, it's on 15th and Valencia and the slow-roated pork is unbelievable.

Crass
Mar 22, 2002

enjoy the show
One more question, what's the best transportation to use from San Mateo? Is parking such a pain that I should ditch my rental car and try public transportation, or is it not that big of a deal in the Mission area?

Thanks for the ideas, this was exactly what I was looking for. I'll check out some of these places tonight.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

quote:

One more question, what's the best transportation to use from San Mateo? Is parking such a pain that I should ditch my rental car and try public transportation, or is it not that big of a deal in the Mission area?

Thanks for the ideas, this was exactly what I was looking for. I'll check out some of these places tonight.

Parking in the Mission is a tiny bit easier than it is, say, Downtown but it's still not a lot of fun. I'd take Caltrain up and then switch to Muni once in the city. But it depends a lot on the time of day and what day of the week it is and if there are any festivals going on and whatnot. I do drive and park in the Mission every ocne in a while but sometimes I spend up to half an hour cruising around looking for a spot. You have better luck south of 25th street.

sinistersimian
May 24, 2004

go ape for our cause
from san mateo i'd almost just drive to a BART station and take that into the mission (16th and Mission is the stop you'd want). check out: http://www.bart.gov/index.asp

one thing to note is when they stop running tho...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

quote:

from san mateo i'd almost just drive to a BART station and take that into the mission (16th and Mission is the stop you'd want). check out: http://www.bart.gov/index.asp

one thing to note is when they stop running tho...

I don't know, the furthest south BART station is Millbrae and if you're going to drive to Millbrae you might as well just drive in to the city and be able to stay as late as you want.

Khatmandu
Jul 2, 2003

by Eris_Is_Goddess
Hey, does Oakland count as Bay Area? I'm moving to the California College Arts (and crafts har har), and my dad seems to be confusing Oakland with Compton for some reason, even going so far as to consider purchasing pepper spray. Are his concerns valid, and is Oakland some sort of crime capital, or am I right, and is my year going to be pleasant, if not downright agreeable?

Also, I am an avid knitter. Will Oaland's warmer climes mean the end of my love affair with yarn, or will it ever be cold enough to warrant the use of my cup cake hat

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Oakland is definately part of the bay area.

Yes, it's a crime capitol. Your chances of getting raped or mugged are slim though. It will likely be enjoyable.

There are also VERY rich areas in Oakland.

I would wear your hat. And so would plenty of other stoner hippies on Telegraph/Berkeley. I could see quite a few of those being sold.

Kobalt fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 13, 2005

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Jazzimus Prime came out of the closet to say:
sup qirex
sup jazzimus

I'd like to pimp a few more obscure bars that I enjoy:

Annie's [Bryant btw 6th & 7th right by all the bail bond places] it's a fun little bar where the owner [Annie] is super cool. The have karaoke on Saturdays but it's normal karaoke where everyone sucks, not "spend all week making a costume and dance routine" karaoke like at the mint. The crowd is generally a sort of punk/goth/rockabilly thing but not people who take themselves seriously. They have Sisters of Mercy and the Dead Kennedys in the jukebox.

Buddah Bar [Grant and Washington] kind of a dive, it's a tiny little bar with a cool bartender who loves liar's dice. It's a great place to go at the beginning or end of the evening. Extremely mixed crowd due to its location. It's also right next to Sam Wo's which is the chinese place open latest in the city.

The Red Room [Sutter & Leavenworth] tiny little place but a generally friendly crowd and a surprising number of actual single women. Wear cool clothes if you go though.

If you're looking for true dive bars I recommend the Grasslands at Kearney and Jackson, Summer Place at Bush and Mason or the High Tide at Geary and Jones.

qirex fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 13, 2005

MyMonkeyMAN
Jul 11, 2001
I'm going to school in Berkeley and living in Hayward (my girlfriend is going to SJSU, so it's kind of inbetween). Anyone have recommendations for cool things to do, places to go, or to eat in these areas?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

quote:

Khatmandu came out of the closet to say:
Hey, does Oakland count as Bay Area? I'm moving to the California College Arts (and crafts har har), and my dad seems to be confusing Oakland with Compton for some reason, even going so far as to consider purchasing pepper spray. Are his concerns valid, and is Oakland some sort of crime capital, or am I right, and is my year going to be pleasant, if not downright agreeable?

Do you mean CCAC? If so that's in a very nice part of Oakland, called Rockridge. There were a few burglaries there last year but it's certainly not comparable to Compton in any way whatsoever.

In general Oakland has some dangerous neighborhoods like any other big city but for the most part it's a very nice place to live. In terms of culture it's comparable to San Francisco but more mellow, and the art and music scenes are definately more focused on African art, jazz, and hiphop.

Even in some of the bad parts of Oakland I really haven't felt unsafe. Honestly I've felt more unsafe in certain parts of San Francisco. The danger in Oakland is gangs who mostly just interact with each other, whereas in San Francisco there are more crazy unpredictable people in certain specific areas.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 13, 2005

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

quote:

Andre the Bear came out of the closet to say:

And you're more apt to find a job that deals with Biology.

Just a bachelor's in biology isn't worth much of late ... you need to have a higher degree; or be specifically licensed as a clinical worker in California (these licenses aren't hard to get but do require taking classes); or already have at least 1-2 years of experience (if you worked in a lab in school, that counts, and is of enormous assistance in finding a job if you are fresh out of college, or in applying to graduate school); or have good connections.

If you don't have at least one of those, you're going to be competing against many, MANY other people tearing each others' throats out trying for a low number of entry-level positions. There certainly isn't a lack of biology jobs to apply for in the Bay Area right now, but the entry-level positions are scarce compared to the number of job seekers.

Boldor fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 13, 2005

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

quote:

Crass sacrificed his/her firstborn child to say:

One of the best restaurants in SF (imo of course) is Sauce in the Van Ness area. It's an "American" comfort food restaurant and not too pricy. Check out the Meatloaf entree. And their PBJ dessert is heaven in cake form.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

quote:

Street Spirit sacrificed his/her firstborn child to say:

The difference being that if you say 'Frisco', locals (and people with sense) may rightfully lynch you.
Don't loving say that. It's not cool, and you certainly aren't lazy enough to not be able to get the entire name of the city out of your mouth.

Hella has gotten on my nerves since I started going to a school with mostly Bay Area kids, but it's tolerable. However, all those gently caress offs from 'TEH OC OMG' need to slither back to Irvine or whatever hellhole they came from.

NorCal > SoCal

Edit2:
I suppose even though it's not really in the Bay Area I could answer any questions someone has about the Monterey Bay Area. Though i'll leave Santa Cruz to the millions of goons that live up in that area.

Don't you know? The in-word among us kids is "hyphe".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

quote:

Rex Deckard came out of the closet to say:
Next, what is your opinion of how your city handles it's rather large homeless population.
Back in 2001, I spent 3 months living with 6 friends in Hayward, just South of Oakland in the East Bay. There was a guy who used to sit on Market with a sign that said "Homeless my rear end, I just want to get high!" Take from that what you will. While I thought the sign was amusing, I'm glad that kind of attitude isn't seen here in Dublin (at least, not as out in the open).

quote:

MyMonkeyMAN came out of the closet to say:
I'm going to school in Berkeley and living in Hayward (my girlfriend is going to SJSU, so it's kind of inbetween). Anyone have recommendations for cool things to do, places to go, or to eat in these areas?
Sup Hayward buddy. There's not much to do there. The best thing I found about it was that there was a decent comic store, and a 24 hour Albertson's. We didn't have a car or anything, and getting around on public transport was a bit of a nightmare (buses weren't frequent, and we were about a 30 minute walk from the 2 BART stations in Hayward).

Oh yeah, speaking of BART...ask me how to cheat the system and get everywhere for $1.10*! :cool:

* Or whatever the minimum fare is these days...it's 4 years later, after all.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 13, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Berkeley north of the campus is pretty cool. Big hills and nice houses. It's expensive to live up here, though.

quote:

irlZaphod came out of the closet to say:
Oh yeah, speaking of BART...ask me how to cheat the system and get everywhere for $1.10*! :cool:

$1.25. So, how do you cheat the system and get everywhere for $1.25?

i am run
Aug 13, 2005
Everywhere Has Its Dangerous Spots.
From East Oakland, East Palo Alto To Crinshaw Inglewood..

Radio on the TV
Jul 9, 2001

Who will save our village?
I was down in SF the other week visiting the girlfriend and accidentley ended up in the SOMA district. I had been to San Francisco a few times before, but nothing prepared me for the sight of men walking around in all leather and thongs at 12 in the afternoon.

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Dillm21 came out of the closet to say:
I was down in SF the other week visiting the girlfriend and accidentley ended up in the SOMA district. I had been to San Francisco a few times before, but nothing prepared me for the sight of men walking around in all leather and thongs at 12 in the afternoon.

Nothing's more awkward than sitting in traffic with the parents while revelers and participants of Gay Pride day walk by in assless leather chaps.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

quote:

Twinxor came out of the closet to say:
Berkeley north of the campus is pretty cool. Big hills and nice houses. It's expensive to live up here, though.

$1.25. So, how do you cheat the system and get everywhere for $1.25?

Heh, I'm not quite sure what homeboy here is going to suggest, but we used to buy 1 card for whatever the max is where it will still let you add fare (8.00 I think) and then cut the card in two pieces directly down the length of the magstrip. The get another car with no money on it and scrape the mag strip off of it, then over lay the cut card on the uncut one and cut the uncut card and swap the pieces. So you should have two cards now both with a magstrip that is only half as wide as normal. Then you put a little strip of tap along the back side to hold them together, go to the addfare machine and add another 10 cents or whatever and the machine spits out a fresh card with $8.10, twice! If you use the card for a single trip and "clone" it with this procedure you can quickly get to the point where you only end up paying a few dollars a month to ride wherever you want to get to.

Note, I haven't tried this method in a few years and Bart has recently switched from paper cards to some sort of thin plastic which may or may not still work like this... YMMV

Campbell`
Jan 30, 2004

Important thing to know: best pizza place in San Francisco. Tommaso's Pizza has that poo poo in the bag. It's kind of in a shady neighborhood, and they don't take reservations so you might have to wait a little if you show up at 7 on a Saturday, but it's for sure worth it. Also, it's a mob establishment if I ever saw one. http://www.bestofsanfrancisco.net/tommasos.htm

MaroonWalrus
May 27, 2005
I love the Padre Whisper

quote:

Earwicker came out of the closet to say:

I don't know, the furthest south BART station is Millbrae and if you're going to drive to Millbrae you might as well just drive in to the city and be able to stay as late as you want.

The drive to Millbrae BART from San Mateo isn't nearly as bad as driving up to the city and having to park, especially because you get free 24-hour parking at that station, and it takes only half an hour (give or take a few minutes) to get to San Francisco. However, fares are pretty ridiculous, so what you spend on gas and parking for a car trip to San Francisco may equate to the $7-8 you spend on BART round-trip. Basically, BART is worth a shot, and you'll figure out fairly quickly what route works better for you.

edit: grammar

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I don't know if anyone has said this, but lock your cars no matter what. California has a huge problem with Auto Theft.

the symbolic
Jan 1, 2005

baaaaaaaaaaad news
22 of my 28 years on this planet have been spent in the bay area, mainly SF. Unfortunately I can't think of much advice to offer, other than that you should get your burritos from Taqueria San Jose on 24th and mission. there's also a place around 18th, across the street from Beauty Bar that's pretty good. Oh, and Puerto Allegre around 17th and valencia.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

quote:

Khatmandu came out of the closet to say:
Also, I am an avid knitter. Will Oaland's warmer climes mean the end of my love affair with yarn, or will it ever be cold enough to warrant the use of my cup cake hat

That Cupcake hat is the greatest thing I have ever viewed. I am in love with you and want to marry. Please respond swiftly.

Also, San Fran does get pretty cold during the winter. Nothing too bad - I lived inAntioch and I went my senior year wearing shorts and t-shirt but then it did get cold some days. I would say it's mostly sweater weather. Prepare for rain!

(Lived in california for first twenty years, now live in Utah. Miss the bay area but know I can't afford it.)

j8910 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 14, 2005

MyMonkeyMAN
Jul 11, 2001

quote:

irlZaphod came out of the closet to say:

Sup Hayward buddy. There's not much to do there. The best thing I found about it was that there was a decent comic store, and a 24 hour Albertson's. We didn't have a car or anything, and getting around on public transport was a bit of a nightmare (buses weren't frequent, and we were about a 30 minute walk from the 2 BART stations in Hayward).

Hey, where's the comic store? I'm living near the South Hayward station, so transportation is pretty good.

The best near-by area I found was Union Landing in Union City. It's a huge outdoor shopping mall with Bestbuy, Lowe's, Albetsons, Borders, a huge movie theatre, Walmart (Target is nearby too), a bunch of resteraunts (Chile's, Fresh Choice, TGIF, Chevy's, and more). It's definitely a place you could spend a good part of a day shopping and looking around.

I'd still like to know if anyone knows of good East Bay resteraunts.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

quote:

Campbell` sacrificed his/her firstborn child to say:
Important thing to know: best pizza place in San Francisco. Tommaso's Pizza has that poo poo in the bag. It's kind of in a shady neighborhood, and they don't take reservations so you might have to wait a little if you show up at 7 on a Saturday, but it's for sure worth it. Also, it's a mob establishment if I ever saw one. http://www.bestofsanfrancisco.net/tommasos.htm

I'm quite fond of Little Star, a Chicago deepdish joint

Imnotknow
Jul 7, 2003

by Ozma
How hard is it to get an entry level job in the tech industry for someone with experience.

If I wanted to work in San Jose, are there any cheap places I could commute from where I could afford to live alone on that type of pay?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

quote:

dfn_doe came out of the closet to say:
Heh, I'm not quite sure what homeboy here is going to suggest
Basically, it only worked because we had 2 stations in Hayward, and our general destination was the city which had 3-4 on Market for us to choose (Embarcadero to Powell). We entered Hayward station, bought a ticket, entered the "system". Got to downtown, got off at Embarcadero. Instead of exiting the system by sticking your card in the reader and being charged $3.50 or whatever it was at the time, we told the guard that we lost our ticket. Good stuff, worst case scenario we found was that we were charged the money for the trip (when I did this, the guy I told just let me through the gate).

So, on the way home, we had a ticket "in the system". So, buy a new ticket, enter Embarcadero. Instead of getting off at Hayward, get off at South Hayward, and use the ticket you had entered earlier on (and pretended you lost). You get charged for going from Hayward to South Hayward. Next time you're going to the city, use the ticket you entered in Embarcadero, but do not get off at Embarcadero, because you will be charged the full fare then (or whatever one of those day trip tickets are). So basically from here on, you'll always have a ticket that has been entered in a station. It's just a matter of remembering which ticket is which, and which station you last entered. :)

Edit: This thread is really making me long to go back to the Bay Area. :(
One of the friends I was living with spent about a week thinking up this, by the way. After making a couple of trips in, he figured there had to be a way of cheating it.

quote:

MyMonkeyMAN came out of the closet to say:
Hey, where's the comic store? I'm living near the South Hayward station, so transportation is pretty good.
Back when I was there, there was a place called Comics & Comix I think. There's one in Berkeley too. The one in Hayward is on A Street, not too far from the main Hayward BART. Well, it was when I was there. I'm sure it still is. :)

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

quote:

actionattackgoose came out of the closet to say:
You people are really trying to scare me away from Alameda :sweatdrop:

I live in Alameda, it's a nice location in the Bay Area in that you have easy access to a lot of different places, and most of Alameda is good to live in. However it's pretty drat expensive, you might be better off looking for something a bit further out. BART is very convienient so it doesn't matter where you live as long as it's near a BART station. I currently take bart to work in Walnut Creek and it works out pretty well for me.

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 14, 2005

thethuthinnang
Feb 3, 2004

cool as heck
Heading to SF tomorrow. Can anyone recommend an excellent tattoo shop/artist?

DownsideUp
Jul 17, 2004
MuchLove<3<3<3

thethuthinnang posted:

Heading to SF tomorrow. Can anyone recommend an excellent tattoo shop/artist?
http://www.tattoocitysf.com does some awesome work.My sister got inked there a little while back,Anyways i'm from Vacaville "CowTown" (NorthBay) I could answer any questions about vacaville,or whatever is needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmui
Mar 3, 2005

dfn_doe posted:

Contra Costa County has the Bay Delta, The wetlands, Mt. Diablo, Half of the Berkeley Hills, 3 or 4 Resevoirs, Briones Park, and the Black Diamond Mines.

For the record, Mt. Diablo is one ugly mountain. I had to see that loving thing all through high school. It's hot, dry, and ugly. In fact for the most part, weather on that side of the Tunnel is horrible. As for the people, Walnut Creek/Concord area and Castro Valley aren't too bad but Danville people drive me nuts (although it did grow on me a little). The difference between Oakland and Danville amusing.

• Locked thread