Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onebigphil
Jun 10, 2002
What do you think of the Southern-Northern California Rivalry? I met some Northern Californians who had nothing good to say about Southern California, granted they were kind of drunk but still.

As a Southern Californian, I see it as an opportunity to make fun of the Bay area for their use of hella, and their refusal to refer to freeways properly (ie the 5, not simply 5). By the way I know that we're the only ones that actually say it that way.

Really, I was surprised at the animosity between the two areas. Some people think that the two should split, but like they say down here, the north has the water and the south has the money. (Another example of the rivalry, I don't think the part about the money is true.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onebigphil
Jun 10, 2002

quote:

DaNzA came out of the closet to say:
As a Nothern Californian, I refer or relate SoCal as a place with lots of gangsters and illegal immigrants. We tend to think that we are on the nicer side because we have Silicon Valley :q:

Highway the 5? :downs:

And we see the Bay as the land of hippies and snooty urbanites. Further more I have never heard anyone outside of an advertisement refer to Southern California as SoCal.

And we simply say "the 5" when referring to freeways. As in don't take the 5, its backed up to Norwalk. I know its stupid, but that's how everyone talks. It is impossible to resist it. I know a couple of transplants and they all convert to our way of talking, saying the before a freeway and everyone of them gets ridiculed for saying hella, or even worse the junior high school censored version, hecka.

• Locked thread