Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

Lived here all my life, in the Sunset to be precise. Yeah, the sun doesn't come out here too often. Either it's overcast (and depressing) or the fog drops lower and starts billowing over the houses and streets, at which point it has officially graduated to 'cool.'

Our large homeless population is generally attributed to San Francisco's past stance on giving money to homeless people. I believe it was about $350 a month or so. Add in the large number of free shelters, soup kitchens, and a (comparatively) polite atmosphere, and you have homeless people from all over the country flocking here in droves.

I didn't really hear about the NorCal/SoCal rivalry thing until I got to college, and even then I don't care about it much. I think of it as a localized version of the US/Canada rivalry. I met a few SoCal people who knew about the rivalry, but they mentioned it in passing or in jest.

quote:

sinistersimian came out of the closet to say:
i've lived in SF for the last 7 years and have moved neighborhoods at least once a year. i currently live in the castro (the gay district) and have lived in: hayes valley, lower haight, upper haight, twin peaks, mission, sunset, and potrero hill. happy to answer any questions people have about this place...

I'm planning on moving into an apartment in January. Do you have any favorite places? Do you know which districts strike a nice balance between accessibility/crimerates/nightlife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

Only thing worse than hella is Frisco.

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Dillm21 came out of the closet to say:
I was down in SF the other week visiting the girlfriend and accidentley ended up in the SOMA district. I had been to San Francisco a few times before, but nothing prepared me for the sight of men walking around in all leather and thongs at 12 in the afternoon.

Nothing's more awkward than sitting in traffic with the parents while revelers and participants of Gay Pride day walk by in assless leather chaps.

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

North Beach Pizza is also good, with plenty of locations throughout the city to boot.

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

Guerrand posted:

Any recommendations for American-style breakfast diners in SF? I've already tried the two big-shots, Mama's on Washington Square and Dottie's True Blue Cafe. I'd like some place with a slightly shorter wait than either of those places.

I love the Pork Store on Haight. The Daily Grill on Mason and Geary is also excellent for breakfast, with a classic NY-style bistro feel to it.

Zoccoli posted:

There's also the Lucky Penny at Geary & Masonic, which is pretty good considering how cheap it is. I've never tried the biscuits and gravy there, sorry. It's open 24/7, though!

Lucky Penny's pretty terrible in my experience, even for the price. If you venture out into the Sunset towards Taravel you'd find the Taravel Cafe at 22nd and Taravel with the $5 breakfast that includes pancakes, bacon, eggs and breakfast potatoes. There's also a host of breakfast places on 9th and Irving that are excellent and affordable.

If you're in the neighborhood for 24/7 places, there's the Video Cafe on 21st and Geary, the Baghdad Cafe near Castro and Market and Sparky's Diner on Church and Market.

• Locked thread