Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Berkeley north of the campus is pretty cool. Big hills and nice houses. It's expensive to live up here, though.

quote:

irlZaphod came out of the closet to say:
Oh yeah, speaking of BART...ask me how to cheat the system and get everywhere for $1.10*! :cool:

* Or whatever the minimum fare is these days...it's 4 years later, after all.

$1.25. So, how do you cheat the system and get everywhere for $1.25?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tacier posted:

I am also surrounded by all kinds of authentic asian cuisine and I don't even know where to start.

You're on Southside? Most of the Asian Ghetto on Durant is pretty good; my favorite was the tiny noodle place on the left side (Satay House, maybe?) if that's still open. The Korean place on Euclid is quite good, too. Down on Shattuck, Thai Noodle (near Hearst) is pretty good and open late, and Cha-Ya up by Lincoln is one of the best restaurants ever.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

GrumpyDoctor posted:

And finally: I will buy the forums upgrade of the winner's choice for anyone who can tell me what the neighborhood in Berkeley bounded by Sacramento Ave., Grove St., Hopkins St., and Cedar Ave. is called. "North Berkeley" is not the correct answer. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows this.

You mean the Gourmet Ghetto, or is that a subset? I live there, at Shattuck & Cedar.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

tcquest posted:

I just came to the Bay Area for college and there's still one(trivial) thing that is bugging me.

When I take the BART to SFO, I typically have to transfer at both MacArthur and (now that they changed the lines around) Balboa Park since there is no direct line. However, it seems to me that instead of transferring at Balboa I could instead transfer at Embarcadero, Montgomery, Powell, or any of the other stops before Balboa Park since the lines are pretty much the same the entire way down. This way I would probably have a better shot at getting a seat when the BART to SFO is packed.

I guess my question is, why is Balboa Park a designated transfer station and what makes it any different from any of Embarcadero, etc. stations? Can I just transfer to the SFO-bound train at Embarcadero?

Schedules are coordinated around the transfer stations so trains going in the same direction tend to sync up there. The station is probably also bigger than the single-platform ones under Market, though now I can't remember.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Why not just live in the city? It's a little daunting, but it's not like all of SF is terrible to live in, and it won't cost too much with a roommate.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm not much into dancing, but I'd like to go clubbing in SF with my girlfriend on Thursday. Any recommendations for clubs that aren't too crowded/tacky/expensive/generally unpleasant?

Whoops, looks like this was just asked!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Earwicker posted:

It's not exactly a nightclub but Amnesia (19th and Valencia) is an awesome place for dancing on the weekends, I had a great time there just the other day. You might also check out the Make-Out Room (22nd and Mission).

Amnesia looks pretty good - it's alive during the week too?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Any other ideas for good dancing on Thursday nights? BART accessible, if possible.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Twinxor posted:

Any other ideas for good dancing on Thursday nights? BART accessible, if possible.

Because everyone's just dying to know, we ended up just going to a club on Shattuck. The last BART out of SF is around midnight, so going there would have been cut short anyway.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone going to the Alzheimer's Walk on Treasure Island this weekend? Not that I'll have a chance to do anything but hang out with my family, but still.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What is it with Caltrain anyway? The system seems a whole lot better run than BART, and I understand it's not even bleeding money.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Also, consider that the San Leandro BART station is not near much of anything and it might end up being some distance from your office. In this case, taking a bike on BART is likely the easiest way. I did this for some time over last summer, taking BART in and biking into the San Leandro wasteland. It's not pleasant (took me around an hour from Berkeley) but it's probably better than taking the bus.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's a good source for shows and events in Berkeley? For that matter, is anything fun going on tonight?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cry For More Fish posted:

funcheapsf.com
laughingsquid.com/squidlist

These are full of good stuff, thanks :)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

berzerker posted:

How well is biking supported around the Berkeley area? Are there generally bike lanes, or will I have to just stick to the side of the road and hope bikers who don't know what they're doing haven't already pissed off drivers to irrational levels?

I'm flying out in July for a week to look for a place to live next fall. Assuming I do research and emailing before I head out, that should be enough time, right? I'm fairly flexible about my requirements for a place, though the ideal would be a single within biking distance of UCB for $1000/month or less.

I go biking every day in Berkeley, and it's a pretty friendly city as long as you're not terrified of traffic. There are bike lanes on many roads, and several are designated "Bicycle Boulevards" with lots of cyclists and barriers that discourage through traffic. It's hilly, but that just makes it fun.

That's plenty of time to look for housing, and I think you'll have no problem finding a nice place on that budget. The traditional area for crummy student housing is south of campus near Telegraph, but there are lots of rooms for rent in nicer neighborhoods.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Is there anyway to get a bicycle between the East Bay and the city besides bus/BART? Do the buses run all night, and how reliable are they?

You can ride across the Dumbarton - that's convenient, right?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Bummer.

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress. The San Rafael, Bay, and San Mateo bridges are all bikeless, and there's really no reason for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

marmot25 posted:

Howdy, fellow incoming grad student. What department? I'm in materials science. The next place that I went to happened to be exactly where I wanted to live (Oxford and Vine), and the place was decent enough. I was the first to throw my hat in the ring, and they called me the next morning to say that it's mine. I'll sign the lease tomorrow morning. I'll send you a PM with a bit about what I did to prepare, but basically everything people recommended (come prepared with application/checkbook/credit report) goes a long way to showing the landlords that you're serious and organized.

Welcome. I'm just a couple blocks away. This is a pretty nice area - quieter than Northside or Euclid, with nice houses and good restaurants.

• Locked thread