Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I have to recommend Magnolia Pub on Haight for any beer lovers out there. They have 2.50 Tuesday every week, where all of their incredibly delicious microbrews are $2.50 a pint. The food is a bit expensive, but very tastey (some of the best onion rings I've ever had).

Try the Proving Ground IPA for one of the most unique beers I've ever had. Their beer menu is a great read too, as they explain all of the different terms (original gravity, bitterness to gravity ratio, etc), and then give you the stats for each of their beers.

Here's a link to their beer menu (although the actual menu varies from night to night):
http://www.magnoliapub.com/beer/ales.html

Papercut fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 27, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mrWr0ng posted:

Also for anyone who wants to go to a great bar, I recommend zeitgeist at duboce and valencia. It's a biker bar, but they play great music (punk, metal and hardcore as opposed to 'in da club'), good atmosphere, shitloads of beer, and a good chance of seeing crazy poo poo go down

Don't forget that they also let you smoke weed in the outside area. That place rules, their ribs are unbelievable and you can eat them while getting high and drinking good beer.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

gret posted:

3) I guess I'd classify myself as somewhat of a yuppie. I do enjoy the finer things in life. I've heard that the Marina could be the neighborhood for me. However, I am wary of it being built on a landfill and the implications of that with regards to earthquake damage. I am also wary of reports of the area being prime former Frat boy hangout. I'm a pretty quiet person and very rarely go to bars/clubs. I'm looking for neighborhoods with bookshops, cafes, nice places to eat, etc.. Which neighborhoods in SF would be right for me?

Hayes Valley is a good suggestion, and you also might look at the Inner Richmond/Richmond area, or even the Sunset. They're a little further from downtown, but if you don't mind riding the bus they're still a short ride away, and the apartments in those neighborhoods are really nice and right in your price range.

Edit:

I also have a question of my own, actually. The other morning I came out to find a note on my car from someone who witnessed the Muni bus hitting my left side mirror. The mirror's broken. Does anyone know who to contact about being reimbursed, or where to file charges (other than police report, I already did that but don't have much hope)? I couldn't find anything on the DMV or Muni websites, so I'm not really sure where to turn.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 15, 2006

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

sych0 posted:

I was looking for widgets, when i stumbled on a sf webcam widget. Then I saw this clusterfuck

http://cbs5.com/webcams/local_slideshow_027212125/view?slide=4

Is that typical for a sunday afternoon or is something going on? I mean, i know traffic in sf is horrid, but.. wow

edit: and if no one gets to this post till after the traffic has eased, its a parking lot at the bay bridge toll plaza

It's *almost* always like that. I would never take the bridge into the city in the morning, evening, Friday night, Saturday night, or any time between about 11am and 6pm on a Sunday. If you Fasttrak, it's a little better (maybe half as long of a wait), and if you carpool it's much much much better (can skip almost the whole backup).

EDIT: I don't know if this restaurant's been mentioned yet, but for anyone who enjoys sushi, I highly recommend Chin Sushi. It's the best Japanese food I've ever had. Be sure to try the Shrimp Churn Fun, it's amazing.
http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/review/905579

Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 19, 2006

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sabacc posted:

I threw up a Yelp page for more information. It's basically an outdoor beer garden that can't decide if it wants to be a motorcycle bar or a bicycle bar, so they just lump themselves as "a biker bar." Also: $12 pitchers.

You can also smoke :420: there which is awesome. The ribs there are really good if you're hungry (all their food is good). It's a good place to meet people, since you're usually in close quarters with strangers, just remember to dress like you'll be sitting in 45 degree temperatures for several hours.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ozma posted:

D'oh, I forgot about Sprint.

Dammit! I'm trying to make a decision today! And Sprint looks appealing since their night minutes start much earlier than all the others do...

Motherfucking cellphone decisions!

I have Cingular and my girlfriend has Sprint. We live at 7th & Fulton. Inside our apartment, I get either zero or one bar, and drop calls all the time. My girlfriend's phone seems fine. I've never really noticed problems anywhere else in the Bay (lived in Berkeley for two years), but I'm going to be switching to Sprint this month.

warwick5s posted:

What's it like to own dogs in San Francisco? It seems like there are plenty of dog parks, and I'm sure my guys would love the beaches. How hard would it be to find a townhouse to rent or something with a tiny bit of grass in the back for poopin'?

I don't have a dog, but I want one, so when I was looking for my place I always looked for allows pets first. The fact that you already have dogs is good, because landlords who allow dogs tend to give priority to people who already have them. You're going to have to work your rear end off to find a place though, because competition for dog-allowing apartments is fierce and places get snatched up REALLY quick. A nice affordable place that allows dogs will be rented within a day or two of being posted, usually.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 6, 2007

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ozma posted:

You live right by where I used to live, hahaha. I lived between 7th and 8th on Cabrillo. :) How you liking all that construction they're doing where the old Safeway was?
But yeah, I went with Cingular and didn't get a lot of bars in my old place but now that I'm by 19th in the Sunset I get full bars and no dropped calls. It does pretty well elsewhere in Richmond depending on the building.

I got sprayed in the face this morning by some broken water pipe at the construction site, great way to start the morning! It hasn't been bad though, probably because I have a few buildings buffering the noise. It was crazy how fast the building went down, they put the fences up and practically the next day the whole place was leveled.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For anyone that likes anime, the SF International Film Festival is having a single showing of "Paprika" on May 2nd, tickets are on sale now.

http://fest07.sffs.org/films/film_details.php?id=80

Youtube trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcUyB8hl8ro

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Any suggestions for lingerie shops in SF? I'm going to take my girlfriend shopping as a treat, and would like to get her a couple bra/panty sets and a babydoll or something. I'm willing to spend a few hundred. These were the shops that seemed to be well-reviewed: Les Cent Culottes, Agent Provocateur (seems crazy expensive), My Boudoir, Alla Prima, Belle Cose, and Toujours. Anyone have any preferences among those, or other places I should look into?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lil Danzig posted:

All rightie -- San Francisco OR the Bay OR the peninsula -- somebody clue me in on a good place to find an open-mic/battle sort of hip hop night where I can get thoroughly embarassed by people far more legit than I am.

I don't know about hip hop, but I've been to a couple of these poetry slams in Berkeley and they were both great:

http://www.daniland.com/slam/

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PrettyhateM posted:

Cool thanks guys, tomorrow I will go parking spot shopping!

You don't need to go all the way to the Outer Richmond, there's unlimited parking in the lower avenues everywhere between Geary and Fulton. The only thing you have to worry about is street sweeping.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Atrus posted:

I would like to direct your attention to this thread. We've been meeting at Zeitgeist on Friday nights pretty regularly and going to do so again tomorrow. Though it starts around 7, some of us with jobs and not living in San Francisco proper (AKA me) show up around 8pm. We're there till around 1am or later.

I think I may have sat at a table with you guys by accident last weekend. My friends and I were talking about nerdy semiconductor poo poo, and I think you guys were talking about Linux and HDTVs or something.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zoccoli posted:

Korean food in general is pretty great, though I do hate kimchi (and most other pickled things), which is essential to Korean cuisine. Please let me know what you think of Han Il Kwan! I pass it every day on the bus, but I've never been despite its' great reputation. I often see huge tour buses parked in front, dumping tons of Korean tourists into that place.

Quick poll: best sushi in the city? Follow-up: best sushi in the Richmond/Sunset?

Chin Sushi is my favorite in the Richmond. California at 6th. Try the shrimp churn fun, it's amazing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ozma posted:

Thanks, guys. I am really hoping things will go well but I just want to be sure so my BP doesn't go through the roof. I've told the guy that he will be at that exact spot at least 20 minutes early to take the bus. I'm gonna kill him over that carshare deal, though. Gah.

I rode GGT this morning to get to San Rafael (the #10 to the #70). The #10 on Geary was about 10 minutes late and the #70 around 15 minutes late (according to the 511.org schedules), but somehow I got to my destination more or less when it said I would. It took about an hour and forty minutes to get from the Inner Richmond to Terra Linda.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

warwick5s posted:

I'm still probably a year out from moving, but I am bored at work and poking around Craigslist so I figured I'd ask. Craigslist divides Oakland likea so:

Downtown, east, hills / mills, lake merritt / grand, north / temescal, piedmont / montclair, rockridge / claremont, west.

If I were looking to rent (or buy) in Oakland, are any of those areas especially desirable or undesirable? I'd be looking for a 2 bedroom flat, townhouse, or duplex with a small yard that allows dogs.

West is the really bad area, and you probably won't find what you want downtown. The rest of those areas should be fine.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BetterOnTheMoon posted:

When is the weather not bad in Richmond? I lived there over the summer and worked downtown and it always seemed like there was a fog hanging over that neighborhood in particular. IS there a good time of year? I might be back again in the spring, but if the weather is like that year-round, I might live in a different area of town.

Compared to the Mission, never, but compared to the Sunset or the Haight, always. Obviously the closer to Ocean Beach you get, the worse it gets, but in the Inner Richmond there are almost always a few sunny days a week during most of the year. The fog ALWAYS rolls in as soon as the sun goes down, but the Richmond has nowhere close to the worst weather in the city.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Anyone have recommendations for where to watch the Rugby World Cup in San Francisco? I figure the Irish pubs will be the best, but I don't know of any that have a really great setup.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For people complaining about their PG&E bills and the cold, if you haven't put this insulation on your windows, I highly recommend it:
http://video.about.com/apartments/Winterize-Drafty-Windows.htm

It's about $20 for one package of the insulation (get at any hardware store), which was enough for me to cover a huge bay window and I think a couple smaller windows. If you only have single-pane windows, it will immediately make an amazing difference.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Atrus posted:

Reasons why East Bay: San Rafael is not the place I want to live at. The East Bay north of the maze is the best balance of living in civilization, working in San Rafael, and being able to have public transportation (Goon parties anyone?). I'm not outright opposed to living in San Francisco, but I must use my car to drive to work in San Rafael. East Bay north of the maze is close enough to work and going the right direction for traffic. Not to mention that people can actually get to my apartment without having a car.

There are parts of San Francisco where your commute could be shorter than East Bay and possibly even lower rent. I moved from Berkeley to SF and my commute to San Rafael was about 2/3 as long at worst (from 7th Ave & Fulton) and my rent actually went down. I absolutely loathe that Richmond Bridge commute because of the unpredictability of westbound traffic and the constant construction in San Rafael and the horrific 101S-580E junction on the way home. Crossing the Golden Gate every day is a drat treat and the commute is far more pleasant.

I moved in February of last year, and I recommend avoiding the summer as much as possible. I would think April is a much better time to move than June. There will be fewer listings but far less competition for what's available.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mark Larson posted:

Weird request - could anyone recommend some nightclubs with no cover, or even no-cover before a certain time? Non-ghetto preferred, obviously. I don't want to be shanked. I'd be looking in the SF area or the East Bay (around Berkeley). I want to dance, and I'm sick of paying up for cover.

As above, I wouldn't call this a nightclub, but Beauty Bar at 19th & Mission is free and usually has good music. It gets really crowded and insanely hot, but it's usually a fun place to hang out for an hour or two before you get claustrophobic.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Is anyone watching this fire on the news? It's freaking HUGE, it looks like the building is going to collapse at any moment. It's a Victorian at 25th and Valencia for anyone not watching, right now they're just trying to keep it from spreading.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Baby_Hippo posted:

The Cliff House is a great place to visit but the food there is really really not worth the money. You pay for the view, not the food.

Exactly what I was going to say. The Cliff House is incredibly romantic because the views of the sunset are unreal, but the food there is horribly overpriced and not that good. I went there last night for a celebration, my girlfriend had salmon that was pretty good and I had halibut that was completely mediocre. Including salad, drinks, dessert, and tip, the bill was $132.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GeneticWeapon posted:

Christ, if it comes down to choice, live in Berkeley if you can.

Why? I lived in Berkeley for 3 years, it's boring as poo poo unless you're a college student. Oakland has a much better nightlife and housing is a lot cheaper.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Does anyone have recommendations for wedding venues? We're looking at outdoor spots in the East Bay and Marin for a date next August or September. Any atypical spots that most people wouldn't think of?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

secondyear posted:

Heather Farms in Walnut Creek? Beautiful gardens and should be inexpensive since it is open to the public.

Thanks, this looks like a good one. About half the price of other places we've been seeing and it still looks really nice.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dr. Spaceman posted:

I'm moving to SF this weekend (hooray!) and taking my car with me because I have to commute to work. I'll be living in the sunset area, on Judah street, and I'm not concerned about getting stabbed or anything. However, I was wondering how likely it is that my car will get broken into, as I'll be parking on the street. My car is somewhat gangsta looking even though it's only a used Hyundai. It's a bright red hatchback with a black leather. Even though it's kind of a cheap and economical car, it's a lot flashier than most of the others I've seen parked in the area. Should I be worried about it?

What avenue are you going to be at?

In any case, never leave anything in your car, especially nothing visible. I've never had any problems parking my car (Acura RSX) on the street, but I'm at 7th Ave on the other side of the park from you and I do see break-ins somewhat regularly. My girlfriend's Corolla was broken into when she first moved to the city and wasn't careful enough, and another friend of mine had his broken into the first night that he parked it on the street (but that was at 13th & Valencia, which is pretty sketch). Basically anywhere there are vagrants, there's a chance of a break-in, but if you don't leave any visible incentive for them, you'll probably be safe.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
There's also a free music festival in GG park tomorrow:
http://www.powertothepeaceful.org/index.php

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

stun runner posted:

What's the big red and white tower to the south, visible from Golden Gate park?

It's actually a pretty short and enjoyable hike to the tower from the west edge of the park. Just walk up to the end of Steiner and you hit some trails through a eucalyptus grove, and the trail takes you pretty close to the base of the tower.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

digital-entropy posted:

Did you mean Stanyan? I don't think Steiner goes up there.

Yeah, sorry. I have those wires crossed in my brain or something, I always mix them up even though I live about 5 blocks from Stanyan.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

notfred posted:

Also, East end of the park. West end is Ocean Beach.

Maybe I meant the Panhandle. :ninja:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Is anyone else as excited as I am about the Academy of Sciences opening? It's going to be free all day Saturday, although I'm sure it'll be completely packed. The photos and floor plan of the place look incredible.

They're going for LEED Platinum certification, which would make it only the 14th or 15th building in California to get it, and 50-some buildings total in the US.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'll pretend I didn't read that. :arghfist:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Atrus posted:

I'm going to wait a small while for the OMGWTF crouds to taper off a little bit, but it's not like I have free time to go right now. It is $99/year, but I'm sure I can get people to come along with me. Epically when I have family and friends visiting out of town.

I walked out of my door at 9am this morning, and the line was already literally miles long. There were thousands of people there. It was insane.

I'm going to do the same, get a membership and just go week nights after work (I live at 7th and Fulton), and when the initial rush has died down a bit.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Has anyone been to the Warfield since it reopened? Is it dramatically different or did they just pretty it up a bit?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
There are also the Lyon St steps right by the Presidio, I see people running those all the time. It's gotta be at least a couple hundred steps and they're steep.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For those of you who bought an Academy of Sciences membership, how long did it take to receive your member info? I ordered a month and a half ago, and I got the email confirmation but still haven't received a member card or anything.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
If you guys like Eritrean/Ethiopian food, you absolutely have to try Assab, on Geary just a couple blocks west of Masonic. I've been to a lot of Ethiopian restaurants in Portland, LA, Berkeley, and SF, and this place just destroys all of them. The prices are very reasonable and their food is unbelievable.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'd say that Fisherman's Wharf is definitely not a must-see, more like a must-avoid unless you really like tourist traps with mediocre overpriced food. Any time you planned to spend there would be better spent in tons of other places, for example you could go to Golden Gate Park and start at the Conservatory of Flowers, walk down to the De Young Museum and go up into its free observation tower to get some great views of the city, then go across to the Academy of Sciences and check out the rainforest exhibit and the aquarium for an hour or two. Or you could go to Alamo Square and see the famous Painted Ladies houses and get an unrivaled view of downtown.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Any recommendations on where to get a suit in the city? I'm looking to get something nice but want to spend less than $1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

qirex posted:

I personally wouldn't spend a grand on a rack suit but you can do well when Jos A. Bank, Brooks Brothers, Saks, Bloomingdales or maybe Barney's has a sale.

There's a suit thread in W&W, maybe ask there.

Thanks!

• Locked thread