Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Dear Ditch,

If you stop hosting your AJPW stuff before I get a chance to download it next weekend I shall be very pissed indeed ... So much stuff I've never seen, all in one place. I'm getting giddy here at work just thinking about all this awesomeness.

Your pal
Illinois

In other news, I recently had my faith in deathmatches restored by an awesome outing between Abdullah Kobayashi and Riuji Ito for the BJW Title from last December. This match featuires light tubes (and plenty of them)as well as a surprisingly stable scaffold propped on two ladders in the ring.

Abby jr absolutely rocks this one. He puts together a great match, uses the big spots in the right places, shows facial expressions that make you wince and throws in assorted other juicy stuff, like when he taunts Ito to hit him again by CASUALLY CHEWING ON A LIGHT TUBE.

This match embodies everything that is right and powerful about garbage wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I think they had an even better deathmatch in December '03. Abby Jr is my BOY.

My site won't be going anywhere. I might run out of bandwidth before month's end but that would only be temporary. And a sequel is coming tommorrow thanks to how successful the archive has been.

In puro news, Lesnar vs Akebono is NOT the draw New Japan was hoping for (it won't even sell 10,000 tickets) and Chuck Palumbo has jumped from All Japan to WWE. Chuck is following the unwritten 'gaijin loan agreement' where Johnny Ace sends released wrestlers to All Japan so they stay sharp, and they're told to anticipate being re-signed at any time. All Japan is bleeding wrestlers pretty bad now.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just watched KENSKEE Office vs. Kobashi and Shiosaki from 11/05/05 and it's definitely the 2005 Match of the Year. Would there happen to be any spectacular wrestling photographs from that match outside of the ones on Sportsnavi? I'm specifically looking for one of Nakajima's tremendous German Suplex.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Man I only wish.

ps 11/5/05 MOTY buddies :sissies:

pps In case anyone didn't see it yet, http://theditch.biz

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/47239

THIS WEEK: Kojima vs Muta flops at the box office! Lesnar vs Akebono in the process of flopping! More free downloads! I give the late Jumbo Tsuruta a well-deserved knob-slobbering!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~~

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
ROH is running a 50% sale on Japanese Merchandise.

https://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?point=products&catid=211

Who cares right, it is just a bunch of crummy shirts and action figures. WRONG. Check out the DANGER MUTA IN CAR! shirt, which every man should own. I was also tempted to buy a Kawada "Stiff Intenseness" shirt to wear to $pread magazine events.

Damion
Oct 21, 2004

Fight, fight fight, for the blue, green and white
I noticed that last night. I'm seriously considering the KICK YOUR FACE shirt (same as the previously noted stiff intenseness) the AJPW shirt that looks like a jersey, and/or the Mutoh Man Of Love shirt, despite the fact that they'd be horrible wastes of money, although awesome.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

MassRayPer posted:

ROH is running a 50% sale on Japanese Merchandise.

https://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?point=products&catid=211

Who cares right, it is just a bunch of crummy shirts and action figures. WRONG. Check out the DANGER MUTA IN CAR! shirt, which every man should own. I was also tempted to buy a Kawada "Stiff Intenseness" shirt to wear to $pread magazine events.

Whoa. I was just looking at their stuff the day before the sale. Glad I didn't buy anything then. Thanks for the heads up.

I wish they had stuff in medium 'cause Japanese shirts are kinda shaped differently sometimes so they fit weird. Maybe if they were tight they wouldn't look so odd.

I bought Kick Your Face, Fight For Tomorrow, The only Tiger Mask shirt that doesn't suck (The black/yellow one) and the brown NJPW shirt. I'd buy the RO&D shirt based on design alone if it came in medium. (I just realized there are more than one, I mean the one with the grim reaper on the back that says "Hell awaits no remorse". That shirt in M would basically be the key to the city. If the city was metal chicks pants.)

I considered the Muta in car and man of love shirts, but they might be a little too weird.

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 17, 2006

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cortXbomb posted:

I considered the Muta in car and man of love shirts, but they might be a little too weird.

That's why I like it, it doesn't look like a wrestling shirt.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
If they're 50% off now, I have a feeling they'll go lower eventually. ROH has bought those shirts and I doubt there's going to be a surge in All Japan support in the US any time soon. Ditto New Japan. Ditto Dragon Gate shirts in MEDIUM. I mean what ROH fan in the world can fit in a medium t-shirt?!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

If they're 50% off now, I have a feeling they'll go lower eventually. ROH has bought those shirts and I doubt there's going to be a surge in All Japan support in the US any time soon. Ditto New Japan. Ditto Dragon Gate shirts in MEDIUM. I mean what ROH fan in the world can fit in a medium t-shirt?!

Skinny little virgins, some of whom are female and have a lot of acne and a love for the Hardys.

Hardy fans are such an interesting thing to study, as they are either huge, or twigs with no in between.

Was it racist of me to buy an XL Shirt figuring a Japanese Large would probably be a little tight?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I normally wear US XL, and the Japanese XL shirt I have fits okay but isn't huge. That's what I recommend.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

I mean what ROH fan in the world can fit in a medium t-shirt?!

I'm 5'10, 160 and medium is my size of preference for shirts. I'm definitely in the minority as far as ROH fans go though.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Man when I got down to 165 I still wasn't within a country mile of a medium.

Then take into consideration what JAPANESE medium entails. Oh those tiny tiny people...

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
HOLY poo poo! I got to interview Akebono!

...via a third party named Keith Lipinski.

Interview starts like 14-15 minutes in. Remove the X's for whichever version you want
xhttp://www.puroresupower.com/powerhour/shows/drkeith-3-17-2006.mp3
xhttp://www.puroresupower.com/powerhour/shows/drkeith-3-17-2006.m3u

THRILL to Akebono putting over TNA! CHILL to Akebono kayfabing it like a mofo! MARVEL at how he sounds as huge as he is!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ditch posted:

HOLY poo poo! I got to interview Akebono!

...via a third party named Keith Lipinski.

Interview starts like 14-15 minutes in. Remove the X's for whichever version you want
xhttp://www.puroresupower.com/powerhour/shows/drkeith-3-17-2006.mp3
xhttp://www.puroresupower.com/powerhour/shows/drkeith-3-17-2006.m3u

THRILL to Akebono putting over TNA! CHILL to Akebono kayfabing it like a mofo! MARVEL at how he sounds as huge as he is!

hooray for dr. keith~!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Another link in case any of you didn't read this week's puropulse ( :mad: )

http://theditch.com

Left mouse button + mortgage/loan ad = :kittyjig:

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster

cortXbomb posted:

I'd buy the RO&D shirt based on design alone if it came in medium. (I just realized there are more than one, I mean the one with the grim reaper on the back that says "Hell awaits no remorse". That shirt in M would basically be the key to the city. If the city was metal chicks pants.)

This is the shirt I'll be purchasing. I've wanted to for a while, but I have trouble paying $35 for a t-shirt.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/47414

NEWWWWWWW puropulse: Lesnar as Ultimate Warrior for a new millenium! Information on the April tournaments in All Japan and New Japan! Lots o' Dragon Gate happenings! Lesnar vs Akebono does historically bad business! PLUS MORE!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/47555

THIS WEEK: NOAH headed for a disaster of a title match; more New Japan front office turmoil; no Tokyo Dome for NOAH? Go take a look whydoncha.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/47555

THIS WEEK: NOAH headed for a disaster of a title match; more New Japan front office turmoil; no Tokyo Dome for NOAH? Go take a look whydoncha.

I get why that title match is a bad thing, but not why it would absolutely kill the company's momentum. Obviously it can't help, but is the whole scene in Japan on such dangerous ground that one bad big show kills public interest?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Akiyama already bombed with his first GHC reign and has struggled to get momentum as a long-term main-eventer. The company might not be this hot by the time he gets a potential third reign down the line; he needs to strike while the iron is hot. Rikio's reign was BADLY damaged by the Saito defense and that match could still be lingering in the minds of fans as Akiyama gets a token, heatless title defense. If Akiyama can't produce something meaningful in the ring, soon, he simply isn't going to get anywhere. After that it'll be down to Morishima, because when Misawa and Kobashi get put to pasture it's Morishima/Akiyama/Rikio who will need to be able to fill the Budokan. If they can't NOAH will go the way of AJ, NJ and Zero-One.

THAT is why I put so much emphasis on the match. If the title win or the Suzuki defense had been a STRONG match, things wouldn't be quite the way I believe them to be.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
What would you recommend to cure the failing Akiyama reign? Being put over by Kobashi? Dare I say, kicking out of the Burning Hammer, or would that just smack of trying too hard?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
All he needs to do is get a solid win over someone like a Kobashi or Sasaki. Were Kawada or Takayama available they'd be good too. Akiyama's big wins since the start of NOAH have felt hollow, from the unsatisfying wins on the first two nights of the promotion to the title wins over Misawa and Taue. If you took a match like he had with Kobashi in '04, only have Akiyama go over by shuffling the finish around a bit, it would do wonders for making him seem like a proper heir to the Four Corners of Heaven legacy.

But maybe having him defend the title against the guy in my avatar would have the same effect :iiam:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

cortXbomb posted:

That'd be the best reason to get them! Wacky shirts are great conversation starters. Unfortunately I wear a size Small (or Youth Large) so I won't be able to get any zany puro merchandise.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Get one of those Dragon Gate shirts in medium, which if they're a Japanese medium are practically infant-sized. Oh those tiny people.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
In April I've decided my goal is to basically watch the history of All Japan Pro Wrestling, mainly because of Ditch's site. So far I've watched all the stuff I've gotten from the 1969 Baba/Destroyer match to the 3/9/89 meeting of Jumbo Tsuruta and Tiger Mask II. That's not to say I only have things on Ditch's site, because I had been collecting almost every other All Japan thing I could get my hands on throughout March.

One of the best sets of matches I watched was the following three:
19811130 - Terry Funk vs. Bruiser Brody
19811213 - Funk Jr. & Funk vs. Brody & Snuka
19820422 - Funk Jr. & Funk vs. Brody & Snuka

I tell you what, if you haven't seen the 12/13/81 match listed there then you are missing out on some loving amazing wrestling. The the Funk/Brody match sets up the legendary tag bout from '81 and then the '82 match is the follow up that's not as good but still has a really neat ending and is worth watching. The 1981 match, though, is really where it's loving at when it comes to wrestling.

I almost don't care about anything else in wrestling right now simply because the stuff I've seen is so good. And I haven't even gotten to the really good stuff yet. Other non-Ditch-site stuff I've watched so far includes Tiger Mask Misawa vs. Ted DiBiase from '87 and Harley Race vs. Ric Flair from 5/22/84 (in All Japan, of course). I also Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Terry Gordy from 6/4/85, which wasn't great, mostly because it wasn't the other Jumbo/Gordy match I read about from late '85 in which Jumbo juices like crazy and the match ends at when Michael Hayes runs in wearing a Santa outfit. That's the one I really want to see.

Also, I watched Baba & Tsuruta vs. Tenryu & Hara from the same 11/30 show as Funk/Brody and Jumbo Tsuruta was wearing some kind of red, white, and blue tights and boots with white stars on the back. Is there some kind of story behind this?

In any case, I'm here to triple quadruple thank Ditch for hosting that awesome site and giving me the inspiration to see what I was really missing when it comes to pro wrestling.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
I got a Dragon Gate Pro Wrestling shirt in XL at ROH this weekend, and it fit fine. Though I don't know if it was a US or Japanese XL. I guess the point of this is "Start a Dragon Gate/Toryumon archive, Ditch!" :(

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster

thatguyclint posted:

I got a Dragon Gate Pro Wrestling shirt in XL at ROH this weekend, and it fit fine. Though I don't know if it was a US or Japanese XL. I guess the point of this is "Start a Dragon Gate/Toryumon archive, Ditch!" :(

My RO&D shirt in XL fits like a charm as well.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I've got a bunch of Dragon Gate shows but everything is in xvid and I don't know how well I'll be able to clip out matches and convert to .wmv :(

And sad to say I just can't get into the Brody stuff in All Japan. I don't like most brawls as it stands and that includes a LOT of matches considered great so don't let that get in anyone else's way of watching!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

I've got a bunch of Dragon Gate shows but everything is in xvid and I don't know how well I'll be able to clip out matches and convert to .wmv :(

And sad to say I just can't get into the Brody stuff in All Japan. I don't like most brawls as it stands and that includes a LOT of matches considered great so don't let that get in anyone else's way of watching!

Well the 12/13/81 match was the debut of Stan Hansen in All Japan and it has a really awesome and famous angle.

The match I just watched was Hansen & Gordy vs. Tenryu & Kawada from 12/16/88 and that was an fantastic match too. Kawada was only 25 at this point and he didn't even have his trademark pants on. He was wearing some kind of Zubaz pants that were black on the back but had a black and white leopard print on the front. He was also extremely fast.

The match itself was really awesome, as I'm quickly learning how Stan Hansen is somebody I unfairly overlooked for too long, he's such a badass. Tenryu was also good and I don't like Gordy that much but I have nothing to complain about from him here. Recommended.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The '88 match is CHOICE. Desperation, good action, really unique story too.

Aside: I've had to hunt down a number of message boards where people have posted the links to my media sites. I generally trust goons on this sort of thing, however I'm repeating the "don't spread it" message everywhere just to be safe.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Ditch posted:

I've always wondered why wmvs are so popular with the net tape trading crowd. Why do they need to be converted at all?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe because WMP seems to be the most popular media player?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Mighty Agrippa posted:

I've always wondered why wmvs are so popular with the net tape trading crowd. Why do they need to be converted at all?

I always loving hated that 'cause Tiger Mask was too fast for Windows Media Player. He always caused videos to gently caress up 'cause WMP sucks for the Mac.

Now Quicktime can play .wmv though so it's all good.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
.wmv is the best balance of quality and size at this time. Eventually bandwidth and disk space will expand to allow divx .avi files, but it isn't there yet. However even .wmv files have vastly improved thanks to better source material (DVD) and 'bigger' caps (ie. MB per minute).

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/47708

This week: Dragon Gate deserves your love! Weirdly-named buildings! NOAH jobber tournament continues! Champions Carnival to get killed?!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
NOAH will not be running the Tokyo Dome this year. The big July show will be in the Budokan, and they'll probably add one toward year's end. My suspicion is that they don't have confidence in Akiyama vs ______ drawing much, and in addition, they can't land Sapp or Kawada for a match with Kobashi.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ditch posted:

NOAH will not be running the Tokyo Dome this year. The big July show will be in the Budokan, and they'll probably add one toward year's end. My suspicion is that they don't have confidence in Akiyama vs ______ drawing much, and in addition, they can't land Sapp or Kawada for a match with Kobashi.

Sweet Jesus, imagine Bob Sapp vs. Kenta Kobashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They were teasing it a LOT at the end of last year following Sapp's win over Akiyama in the ill-fated WRESTLE-1 promotion.