Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I want to see some skits of Sapp saying he's impervious to pain from chops or has such a giant neck that the Burning Hammer will have no effect or something.

Preferibly at the zoo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OlympicHero
Aug 18, 2005
Cheer up!
Awesome Hard Gay clip with English subititles:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1630086457032903932&pl=true

UFOOOOOOOOO

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

OlympicHero posted:

Awesome Hard Gay clip with English subititles:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1630086457032903932&pl=true

UFOOOOOOOOO

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! What a success. In America, parents would NEVER let their kids near the Haddo Gei.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
I stopped following puro right around the time zero one and noah started popping up. Who still wrestles for All Japan? Does everybody let everyone else use their wrestlers now? Who're the top guys in every promotion?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Puro info dump!

My early 'intro to puro' columns can be found here:
http://www.insidepulse.com/indexNewTopic.php?userid=130&page=3&zoneid=&l=
http://www.insidepulse.com/indexNewTopic.php?userid=130&page=2&zoneid=&l=

Puroresufan.com has subsites for everything important:
http://www.puroresufan.com/ - NJ
http://dragongate.puroresufan.com/ - Dragon Gate, formerly Toryumon. IMO way better right now than when you stopped following puro.
http://noah.puroresufan.com/ - duh
http://www.puroresufan.com/ddt/z1max.php - Zero-One
http://ajpw.puroresufan.com/ - AJ

KrisZ does a workmanlike load of int'l wrestling coverage, but there's a lack of archive-age. This is more for if you want day-to-day results/cards:
http://www.spunkroad.com/krisz/

All Japan- Kawada has left to be a part of PRIDE's 'sports entertainment' fed, HUSTLE. Company is now dominated by ex-New Japan wrestlers like Mutoh, Kojima, Sasaki and Yoshie, plus ex-WAR guys like Arashi, Tenryu, Araya and Hirai. It's now the #3 company, well behind NOAH and NJ.

Current major belt holders:
AJ- Kojima
NJ- Lesnar
NOAH- Akiyama
Z1- Omori
Dragon Gate- Ryo Saito

Misc: Hashimoto's shoulder got messed up, he took time off and then died of a heart attack. Takayama came out of nowhere to rule the world, and was like the best guy from mid '02 through mid '04 but he wrestled too many high-impact matches and suffered a stroke so he might be toast. Kensuke Sasaki became a superworker in 2004 and roams the puro landscape. Kobashi left in early '01 because his knees sucked, and he was out for essentially a year and a half. He's a lot less mobile and relies on a wide variety of chops to get by. Inoki has been gradually pushed from power in New Japan, which is now owned by media conglomerate Yukes.

Hopefully that covers enough. As for the inevitable "what stuff should I watch since 2001", good lord there's a lot to cover. Imagine someone asking that question about just 1997-2000. I'm happy to answer about specific wrestlers and their best matches though.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Thanks!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/47851

In this week's column: Blood Generation in turmoil! Champions Carnival is over halfway done! Japanese companies have kayfabe-style businesses! I link to my thoughts on the lack of a NOAH Tokyo Dome show! You read now!

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ptu...Puroresu%20Puro

I was watching the Lesnar/Akebono DREAM MATCH on youtube, and bah gawd do I understand why it tanked. Both of the guys display no signs of tension, drama, or energy. Lesnar keeps doing loving sleeper holds when he should be pummeling the gently caress out of Akebono. Akebono should be wearing something that hides both of his manboobs. Both of the guys are way too soft on each other during at least half the match.

I wasn't around when Lesnar was the big thing in the WWE, but here he just seemed totally misused. Shame.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/48002
This week: Taiyo Kea, Champ o' the Carnival! HG and WHO?! Dragon Gate tangles with the weakest NOAH show in months, who will win!?!~ And who's to blame for Budokan main-eventer Masao Inoue?!?! Find out!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There is now even more NJ turmoil stemming from a Yukes corporate meeting. Fujinami is trying to push out both Choshu and Simon Inoki but looks to have failed, which probably means his head. However unlike when Inoki's worthless stooges got canned this has direct business implications due to Fujinami's ties with vital local promoters, and Fujinami's connections to a number of former and current NJ wrestlers. There's a chance he could undercut NJ business by using his assorted connections to make a MUGA fed, featuring ex-NJ types like Nishimura. All this turmoil is putting their network TV deal in jeopardy, and that would likely push them down to All Japan/Dragon Gate/Zero-One level in a hurry.

It could have been such a positive week for them considering the Lesnar lawsuit's positive (for them) ending. :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ditch has there been any word on how Jack Evans title shot went? (Quality wise, results are obviously obvious.)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Wasn't horrible, wasn't awesome. That's the best I can do. I'm not sure how well Yoshino and Evans really match up, unless it was mostly Yoshino stretching him out (which Yoshino would do well) but I highly doubt that would happen given their typical DG matches of late. Yoshino is all about crisp lucharesu stuff while Evans is all sick bumps and huge spots. Evans would do waaaaaay better in a singles bout with a badass like Mochizuki or Takagi. Oh Shingo :love: :gay:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/48166
This week: Fujinami, New Japan, New Japan's TV deal... things not looking too good for them. Plus NOAH and Dragon Gate results, the title picture in the Big Four, massive stable reorganization in Dragon Gate and more!

I'd like to once again recommend visiting the match-hosting sites I linked earlier. Goooood stuff!

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn

Ditch posted:

Current major belt holders:
AJ- Kojima
NJ- Lesnar
NOAH- Akiyama
Z1- Omori
Dragon Gate- Ryo Saito

Man, I've needed this info. for awhile. I'm so out of tough with non-US wrestling. If you could give a simple update to this whenever we get a new champ. that'd be great. In this same format, where it stands out from the rest of the big, long posts.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Susumu Yokosuka just won the top belt in Dragon Gate from Saito, fyi.

Kojima is probably safe until summer, ditto Akiyama. Lesnar might lose the belt on his next defense, which is a week from Wednesday.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Susumu Yokosuka just won the top belt in Dragon Gate from Saito, fyi.

Kojima is probably safe until summer, ditto Akiyama. Lesnar might lose the belt on his next defense, which is a week from Wednesday.

So they book him to handily beat his opponents only to have him drop the belt right after he gets this lawsuit settled? I know you said might, but still that'd be pretty silly.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

MassRayPer posted:

So they book him to handily beat his opponents only to have him drop the belt right after he gets this lawsuit settled? I know you said might, but still that'd be pretty silly.
If Albert wins the tournament he'll job to Lesnar, but if it's Tanahashi then they'd be wasting a LOT of effort (beat Nagata, beat Chono, beat Tenzan, beat Nagata again, beat Albert [they wouldn't do Tanahashi vs Nakanishi AGAIN]). Lesnar has been a non-touring champ since November and he isn't a draw despite all logic that would say he should be over as hell.

I think if they put Albert over Tanahashi with a lil' screwiness that lets Albert look vicious and Tanahashi still look strong, then put Lesnar over Albert, they can do Lesnar vs Tanahashi at will down the line. Maybe even give Lesnar another defense before then. Regardless they can't give him TOO much longer with the belt unless he goes full-time and really returns to his top in-ring form.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Lesnar is saying a lot of things that make it clear he has no intention of moving to Japan. References to MMA "in the US", marrying Sable, not talking about doing full New Japan tours, etc. I can't imagine New Japan is happy with this after the blowjob treatment they've given him to date, and they can't afford having a non-touring champ for much longer.

SECRET EDIT: I've posted things along the lines of "send me a PM if you want goodness". For those who HAVEN'T sent a PM yet, now's your chance. There's one more goody-bag besides the two linked ITT.

Ditch fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 28, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Albert vs Nagata is the final tonight, winner gets Lesnar on Wednesday. I'd be STUNNED if it isn't Albert.

2003 called, it wants its Smackdown matches back.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the Hip Hop Hippo might be getting the title.

Brock Lesnar + MMA + Doesn't want to tour = Prince Albert, IWGP Champion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Scott Norton will blow a hole into the top of the Stadium, then fly down to save NJPW from itself.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That's maybe the saddest parts; Norton's NJ contract has expired and won't be renewed. This last show (where Albert in fact beat Nagata) was Norton's last scheduled appearance.

:911: Scott 'Fire' Norton :911:

Ditch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 11, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Brock is reportedly fighting in Japanese MMA fed HERO'S at some unknown time. That nixes my "no Brock move to Japan" speculation if it goes down.

Oh New Japan, you can avoid MMA but it doesn't avoid you.

edit: I translated an article from Japan and it sounds like HERO'S wants to use Brock for US shows. Now it makes sense.

Ditch fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 1, 2006

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I pray to the lord that somehow Brock vs Fedor will happen.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster
Ditch, I'm having a hard time with the fact that Albert could be IWGP champion. Any insight as to why this might not be such a terrible idea.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I always figured that he was a better fit for Japan, but still... it's Albert.

And he's being pushed as a babyface.

Okay here's my column on it because it might not go up in time...

----------------------------------

Brock Lesnar & New Japan: Potential, Pride, Purgatory

It’s difficult to keep abreast of events that span industries (wrestling/MMA), continents (Asia/North America) and years all at the same time. Different narratives weave around each other. The events of the past week involving New Japan and Brock Lesnar highlight these difficulties. It takes someone with a borderline-obsessive thirst for wrestling news to recognize the connections between past and present, location and location. Thankfully I'm beyond borderline.

Past: In 2004, Brock Lesnar is a company ace with a guaranteed high salary for life, heavy promotion, and an upcoming match against a ‘monster’ wrestler who he’s a near mortal lock to beat. However his aversion to touring causes him to steer towards legitimate athletics, throwing the booking of the match and the promotion as a whole into doubt.

Present: In 2006, Brock Lesnar is a company ace with a guaranteed high salary for life, heavy promotion, and an upcoming match against a ‘monster’ wrestler who he’s a near mortal lock to beat. However his aversion to touring causes him to steer towards legitimate athletics, throwing the booking of the match and the promotion as a whole into doubt.

News: IWGP champion Brock Lesnar announces a tie-up with HERO’S/K-1, with the goal of becoming an ace for shows done in the US. This takes place within a week of his settlement with WWE over contract issues, allowing him to work MMA fights in the US. New Japan had been hoping such a result would cause him to sign a beefier contract with them, including full tours.

You get from the past to the present by replacing the NFL with HERO’S, WWE with New Japan, and Goldberg with Giant Bernard/Albert. There is a difference in contracts, since WWE’s was longer-term and much more binding, and in the case of WWE Lesnar had lost his title, but the basics are eerily similar. Or try this one.

Past: New Japan’s champion, who works rarely for the company instead of doing full tours, has an MMA-related event ruin the potential value of his eventual title loss and overshadow company booking as it relates to challengers.

Present: New Japan’s champion, who works rarely for the company instead of doing full tours, has an MMA-related event ruin the potential value of his eventual title loss and overshadow company booking as it relates to challengers.

News: Brock Lesnar, IWGP champ since October with a long undefeated streak, is scheduled to defend the title on 5/3. He faces the winner of a singles tournament featuring top New Japan stars, in this case Giant Bernard. Japanese challengers such as Hiroshi Tanahashi and Yuji Nagata were in line for a title shot as well.

The past can include most notably Kaz Fujita and Bob Sapp, who over the course of four combined title reigns never had the sort of definitive title loss they were supposed to. Be it MMA fights, training or politics, the “New Japan wrestler makes good by beating the shootfighter” title change never happened as planned, unless you count quasi-shooter Tadao Yasuda’s title win and loss following a questionable win over Jerome LeBanner. In each case there were multiple native fighters lined up to get the dramatic win; so too here. Lesnar’s match with Bernard was thought to be a probable Lesnar win to be followed by a loss to a native within the next two defenses. Now, with Lesnar having perhaps as few as two New Japan matches left on his contract and obviously no desire to move to Japan, it seems clear that the Lesnar/New Japan relationship is nearing an end. That makes Lesnar’s eventual title loss anticlimactic.

On the one hand, they can have Lesnar win one more match and then put over a native. In that case it happens on his very last match, and in an era where kayfabe is dead there’s no way to make that seem important. On the other hand they can put the belt on a replacement gaijin monster in Giant Bernard, but in that case it means they’re putting the belt on Giant Bernard. For those of you who don’t understand the significance of this just google the terms ‘Prince Albert’ and ‘WWF’ together.

Now let’s try a geographical comparison.

North America: Once and certainly future champion trained in OVW drives a wedge between himself and his promotion, with his ego playing a major role and jeopardizing some huge future paydays.

Japan: Once and certainly future champion trained in OVW drives a wedge between himself and his promotion, with his ego playing a major role and jeopardizing some huge future paydays.

News: Randy Orton’s inability to socialize with females who don’t idolize him forces WWE to suspend him indefinitely.

In Orton’s case, his pride effected how he dealt with the fairer sex. With Lesnar, pride effected his ability to remain in a sport where outcomes are determined in advance. Both are young, both have unlimited potential, and the future of both in pro wrestling has been clearly damaged by their actions. Orton could have stopped being a misogynist; Lesnar could have booked his MMA debut through New Japan rather than going over their head and in the process muddying their plans for him.

What can’t be denied is that in each of these cases there were ways for the promotions to handle things better. WWE could have done more to listen to Lesnar’s complaints and tried to cut him some slack before things got out of hand, leading to a disaster match at their biggest show of the year. They also could have been firmer with Orton instead of letting him off with wrist-slaps. New Japan could have learned from past mistakes involving non-touring champions and not bet the house on Lesnar, certainly not with such a loose contract. Given the trials and tribulations New Japan has had over the last several years they can’t afford further public demonstrations of disarray. For instance it has come out that their new owners, Yukes, has needed to subsidize them to the tune of 100 million yen per month, even after major budget cuts.

Brock Lesnar went from a major coup on the part of New Japan to a very large black eye. He bombed as a draw, he’s failed to put over New Japan in English-speaking interviews, he’s now in bed with K-1, he never even came close to his in-ring best (as shown in WWE during 2003) and he’s forced New Japan into a corner for booking their title. Getting Lesnar was a spectacular idea in theory, but in execution it bombed. Now New Japan has to choose between a variety of bad options and hope that they can stop the bleeding before Yukes decides to stop donating blood.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

How well does MMA pay in Japan? I know in the USA everyone but the main event guys basically make pennies, and while I know Lesnar would be in the main event, would he really make more money in MMA than he would in pro wrestling? Also, why would he want to compete in a sport where anyone who's remotely competitive would probably absolutely destroy him?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wezlar posted:

I pray to the lord that somehow Brock vs Fedor will happen.

Brock would be slaughtered. People said he would probably lose to Bob Sapp, let alone Fedor.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Wezlar posted:

How well does MMA pay in Japan? I know in the USA everyone but the main event guys basically make pennies, and while I know Lesnar would be in the main event, would he really make more money in MMA than he would in pro wrestling? Also, why would he want to compete in a sport where anyone who's remotely competitive would probably absolutely destroy him?
1. MMA in Japan is way bigger than MMA in the states, and pays accordingly.

2. Why would Lesnar want to go to the NFL, etc etc etc. Nobody ever accused him of being Lanny Poffo.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I still think Lesnar had the half of his brain concerned with rational thinking knocked out during the botched SSP at Wrestlemania. Now it looks like Sable's poisonous vagina has caused the remaining half to rot away.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Lesnar retained over Albert. Following a win in a long tournament and a monster push, Albert's challenge drew about what it did when he faced Kojima last year. Every one of New Japan's main regulars besides Nakamura (taking a break to bulk up) lost in the tournament so nobody has momentum. Brock might be down to his last NJ match now.

What a debacle.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
More on Lesnar: he hasn't signed with K-1 and looks to be sticking with NJ for the time being. However he is committed to MMA training, which means no tours.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/48318
THIS WEEK: I talked to Jimmy Yang! And I look at a bunch of items!

On an unrelated note, Razor Ramon HG is shockingly good in the ring. I've now seen him on three HUSTLE shows and enjoyed them all. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~~

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/48318
THIS WEEK: I talked to Jimmy Yang! And I look at a bunch of items!

On an unrelated note, Razor Ramon HG is shockingly good in the ring. I've now seen him on three HUSTLE shows and enjoyed them all. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~~

I always thought Yang was Korean and not Japanese.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
gently caress, you're right. Editing time. Thanks for the catch!

Note: Koreans are the #1 minority in Japan by a lot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ok Ditch, here's a nightmare scenerio.

What is the likelyhood that NJPW or AJPW brings over Mark Henry if his contract runs out.

And what are the chances he manages to not totally suck like Giant Bernard has managed not to.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Well since Henry is getting an extension from WWE, we get to ignore that nightmare.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Ditch posted:

Next time: Mike Quackenbush! He might even be a 2-parter.
Kickass! Quack is by far my favourite underrated indy-wrestler right now. I also just finished reading Headquarters again last week.

If you haven't already done the interview, can you ask him why he doesn't work more different companies anymore? He had a brief stint in CZW and appears at the TPI every other year ... But as much as I adore Chikara, I'd kill to see the guy work places like PWG or, god forbid, RoH. Is he just too busy with his school?

Also, I'm currently trying to track down his match with El Hijo Del Santo (as well as any other vintage Quack / Black T-Shirt Squad stuff) but Smartmarkvideo only seems to have tapes. Since my VCR has gone the way of the Dodo, does anyone know where I can get stuff of his on DVD?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Illinois Smith posted:

why he doesn't work more different companies anymore? He had a brief stint in CZW and appears at the TPI every other year ... But as much as I adore Chikara, I'd kill to see the guy work places like PWG or, god forbid, RoH. Is he just too busy with his school?

Also, I'm currently trying to track down his match with El Hijo Del Santo (as well as any other vintage Quack / Black T-Shirt Squad stuff) but Smartmarkvideo only seems to have tapes. Since my VCR has gone the way of the Dodo, does anyone know where I can get stuff of his on DVD?
I'd say it's a matter of him focusing on the school, plus he isn't someone who would tend to get flown in or paid enough to be worth a long drive. He's always been an east coast guy. Add in the recent back injury and that equals less Quack.

SMV does have some DVDs but not everything, and if they have the original in VHS only then nobody has it on DVD and you're screwed.

ps Quack is the great unknown wrestling announcer of the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/48486
This week: Quackenbush part one! Zero-One shakeup! Hase retiring! A bunch of Dragon Gate happenings!