Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

Ditch posted:

If they have we wouldn't know about it... I mean they speak Japanese and all.

Oh. I was under the impression you read and spoke Japanese. I thought maybe you had read an interview here or there. My bad.

quote:

However I will point out that when KENTA & Marufuji teamed up in NOAH on April 2nd, the announcers mentioned their win in ROH over Danielson & Joe, along with the fact that KENTA pinned Danielson, the champ. :waycool:

That's very cool.

I've also wondered if Japan has its own little IWC with bitter smarks all over the place complaining about how Dragon Gate is too mainstream and how ROH is their favorite promotion or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There are definitely message boards but from what I can tell "THE INTERNET" isn't as big as it is here. Probably a byproduct of a cooperative press, and fans not being nearly as cynical.

I can't read a single kanji and I only know a couple dozen words, most of which are wrestling-related. For instance... [note: some spellings are not accurate and I made them up based on sounds!]

MOVES
gatame is attached to quite a number of submission holds
juji is a breaker kind of hold
hiza = knee
giri = kick
hizajujigatame = cross-legbreaker/legbar
jujigatame = cross-armbreaker, why they don't talk about the arm I don't know
katahajime = tazmission
hizagiri = knee-kick, or some sort of knee strike usually to the head/face
gamen, I believe, has to do with face or a blow to the face
gamengiri = kick to the face
sugoi & saikyo = strong/forceful/well done
takai = high (as in, someone gets thrown up high or lifted up high)
otoshi = slam
nodowa = choke
nodowa otoshi = chokeslam
kawads otoshi = russian legsweep
binta = slap
enzui = back of the head
enzuigiri (or "enzigurry" as JR pronounces it) is a kick to the back of the head

MATCH INTRO STUFF
aoi co-nah = blue corner
aka co-nah = red corner
sen-jen-je-aii = championship
sankan = triple crown
hevvy-queue = heavyweight (so juniors are juniah hevvy-queue)
ipon shobu kuraimasu = one fall to a finish (this is usually tied in with the time limit)

ANNOUNCER STUFF
hai = yes
hontoni = indeed/I agree (this was used when Edge & Christian did a mock Kaientai promo, and 'hontoni' was 'indeed')
sodesu / sodesune = indeed/I agree
These are used constantly when the main announcer is nodding furiously to appease the wrestler/booker doing guest commentary

count to-a ni-ten-queue = nearfall, this means 2.9. ni-ten-queue-queue-queue means 2.999. ni-ten-go means 2.8. But then they say COUNT-TO-THREEEEEEE in full English. WTF?
abunai = DANGEROUSSSSSSSSSS move
jack pa-cento = 100%

OTHER STUFF
ehhhhhhhhhhhh? = noise a confused crowd makes when a wrestler says something in a promo they don't understand. That EVERYONE does it at the same time makes it awesome.
baka = idiot
bakayaro = stronger version of idiot
konoyaro = even stronger version of idiot
teme wa = rude/arrogant way of addressing someone
ore wa = rude/arrogant/confident way of referring to yourself (ie. Ore Wa Taue)
ganbare = shout of encouragement to a wrestler, meaning 'fight' or 'do your best'

And then I know a small number of random words that don't come up in a wrestling context. At least that I know of. I'll write more in future posts as I learn/remember.

edit: mo ichi do = one more time

Ditch fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 29, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVzAO9JBFU&mode=related&search=
AAAAHAHAHA

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

That was nothing like what I expected, yet it was everything I needed.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Gentlemen... um. I don't know how to put this. I don't want to see this... thing get overused and be lost to me. But... um...

archive.org just let me put a 200+ MB Misawa vs Kawada match online, directly downloadable to the public at high speeds.

You can see the possibilities here. And the dangers. But oh the sweet, sweet possibilities.

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

:laffo:

"What?"

"Who?"

"OH NO IT'S THE FAMOUS PRO WRESTLING CHAMPION, YUJI NAGATA!"

Oh man that's great. Do you know if that was really Nagata's voice? I bet it was.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kobashi has a kidney tumor that could be cancer. He's having it worked on and is done wrestling until it's cleared up.

:(

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours

Wouldn't the police have something to say about a pro wrestler beating up kids in public? It's not like the department would need to send out a whole squad of cars and officers to take him down, just send Cro Cop and he'll have him subdued within about 20 seconds.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ditch posted:

Kobashi has a kidney tumor that could be cancer. He's having it worked on and is done wrestling until it's cleared up.

If Liger could beat cancer, Kobashi can.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/49459
Kobashi vs The Big C? :cry:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ditch posted:

From Meltzer for expansion

Kobashi diagnosed with cancer

by Dave Meltzer

Dave@westlingobserver.com

Kenta Kobashi, one of pro wrestling's all-time greatest performers, is currently hospitalized due to kidney cancer it was announced earlier today.
The 39-year-old Kobashi was diagnosed with cancer when results of tests came back after a routine medical examination. The company made the announcement on a piece of paper in front of Differ Ariake in Tokyo, its home arena, where they have a show scheduled. Mitsuharu Misawa, the group's president, was interviewed on the NTV Network sports news at midnight earlier today, saying that Kobashi's pain was such that he told Misawa he can't wrestle right now.
He said that after Kobashi complained about severe pain in his waist at his examination, they gave him a CT scan last Thursday and the results showed a tumor on his kidney. Not much else is known but it is believed he will be undergoing surgery to remove the cancer.
One can make a strong argument that Kobashi is the greatest wrestler of this generation. When he was elected into the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame in 2002, he received a record 98% of the vote. He is second to only Ric Flair when it comes to the number of times winning the Lou Thesz/Ric Flair award for Wrestler of the Year, winning in 1996, 2003, 2004, and 2005. He has been in six winners of Match of the Year, including his match last year in New York against Samoa Joe, also an all-time record.
Kobashi is known in Japan as pro wrestling's Iron Man, because he had five knee operations in 2001 that were thought to end his career. He was out for 13 months, and returned to become the standout in-ring performer in the world.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Get well Kobashi, but your fans know that if you wanted to you could just chop that cancer off your body.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kobashi's replacement in the 7/16 Budokan dream take is Kensuke Sasaki. Good call there.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kobashi goes under the knife tomorrow.

Taiyo Kea won the Triple Crown and Kawada will be his first challenger.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
Wasn't there a japan all-womens fed, AJW, is it still alive or dead? I don't see it mentioned in this thread.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There were multiple joshi feds. Sadly it went down the crapper. After the mass of new talent in the late '80s/early '90s there was VERY little in the way of good young stars, and older stars generally got lazy and/or brain-dead. Add in the high level of cross-promotion in the early '90s and there was no way to spark interest, so attendance went down. Fewer great matches added to the spiral. AJW is gone now. Joshi is practically irrelevant in 2006.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.

Ditch posted:

There were multiple joshi feds. Sadly it went down the crapper. After the mass of new talent in the late '80s/early '90s there was VERY little in the way of good young stars, and older stars generally got lazy and/or brain-dead. Add in the high level of cross-promotion in the early '90s and there was no way to spark interest, so attendance went down. Fewer great matches added to the spiral. AJW is gone now. Joshi is practically irrelevant in 2006.
:sigh: I guess I'll have to seek out Shimmer dvds if I want to watch good women's wrestling.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/49571
THIS WEEK: Kobashi update, new Triple Crown champ, Dragon Gate megashow, G-1 news, politics galore. Hurry!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://www.noah-usa.cc/honoluluoffice1.html
Scroll most of the way down to see KENTA. Golfing. With Harley Race. :?:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also: KENTA. Training with Trevor Murdoch.

:psyduck:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Do you know that Trevor had a stint in NOAH?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah. He was Trevor Rhodes, right?

EDIT: By the way, according the Observer, ROH was trying to set up Joe-Kobashi 2, and it looked like it wasn't going to happen anyway when the cancer thing went down. NOAH called and said Kobashi will never wrestle in the US ever again.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 7, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Well geez if they get the cancer out with surgery this week I don't see how that would be bad enough to preclude him wrestling in the US. Unless even this requires chemo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Well geez if they get the cancer out with surgery this week I don't see how that would be bad enough to preclude him wrestling in the US. Unless even this requires chemo.

Kawada called the office and told Misawa that associating with Round Eyed Imperialists gives you cancer.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
See the ROH money match now is Kobashi vs Jimmy Rave, after Rave renames his pedigree the Kidney Tumor '06. Building-melting crowd heat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

See the ROH money match now is Kobashi vs Jimmy Rave, after Rave renames his pedigree the Kidney Tumor '06. Building-melting crowd heat.

He'll rename his new Wrist Clutch Burning Hammer finisher that.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
:dance:
http://www.puroresupower.com/

quote:

Kenta Kobashi underwent successful surgery on Friday to remove a right kidney tumor. The doctors performing the surgery stated that they did not see the tumor spread to any other organs in the body, which is a very good sign. The surgery took 5 1/2 hours and was a success.
:kittyjig:
:420:

quote:

All Japan President Keiji Mutoh held an abrupt press conference on Friday to announce that Arashi (real name: Isao Takagi) was arrested in possession of cannabis. Mutoh stated that Arashi would be immediately banished from the company and not work for All Japan any longer. If you can believe it, the Arashi story is getting the top headlines so far over Kobashi's successful surgery. Mutoh publicly apologized to the fans of All Japan and the company sponsors over this incident. In Japan, being in possession of marijuana is a big no-no and will get you in a lot more trouble than it would in other countries.

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

Ditch posted:

:dance:
http://www.puroresupower.com/

:kittyjig:
:420:

Gotta take the bad with the good I guess. :) :(

Glad to hear Kobashi's surgery went well. Sounds like they caught it early which is the most important thing.

I had no idea Japan's drug laws were so strict. And I thought we were bad enough here in the US. Van Dam and Sabu are lucky they work here.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Chief Rebel Angel posted:

I had no idea Japan's drug laws were so strict. And I thought we were bad enough here in the US. Van Dam and Sabu are lucky they work here.

Heh, ask Paul McCartney about Japan and marijuana. I don't really understand what caused their hardline stance, but drat do they hate the reefer.

Great to hear Kenta's doing well though.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Word on the street is that they aren't nearly as strict about speed.

Anything to fight laziness :confused:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://www.fightopinion.com/2006/07/09/potholes-in-kings-road/

My take on Kobashi and wrestling's pothead situation.

HOT DICKINGS NEWS: Akiyama acknowledge that a certain Samoa Joe is interested in the GHC title. Akiyama called for Joe to come to Japan and show his wares. Is it possible to make a Dancin' Joe emot to properly react to this?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/49741
THIS WEEK: G-1 preview! Triple Crown Newz! Kobashi! Other things!

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster
HOLY loving poo poo!

8/29 AJPW - Great Muta vs. Tajiri

:gizz:KASDJFHGKSDVJBSKEGKAEJSKEBSRKUGJBWEROGBAPODKAPOFJASEOPIWNHEOFWJEBNF:gizz:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
"Hiroyoshi Tenzan went on a verbal rampage in today's Tokyo Sports. Tenzan is furious at French international footballer, Zinedine Zidane, for stealing his headbutt to the chest move in the recent World Cup Final. The incident made headlines across the world, and it seems Tenzan isn't happy with it, as Zidane used one of his moves on the highest stage of sports. Tenzan claims to have it trademarked and screamed "loving Zidane!", then promised to kill Akebono with it on 7/17."

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

Ditch posted:

"Hiroyoshi Tenzan went on a verbal rampage in today's Tokyo Sports. Tenzan is furious at French international footballer, Zinedine Zidane, for stealing his headbutt to the chest move in the recent World Cup Final. The incident made headlines across the world, and it seems Tenzan isn't happy with it, as Zidane used one of his moves on the highest stage of sports. Tenzan claims to have it trademarked and screamed "loving Zidane!", then promised to kill Akebono with it on 7/17."

That is hilariously awesome.

:love: Tenzan :love:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Breaking News: Misawa cracks a smile!

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
Aaaaand the Lesnar experiment is over. From Stuart;

quote:

The worst possible scenario has happened, and Simon Inoki is hanging his head in shame today. Due to "problems with a working visa" (well, there's a new one), Brock Lesnar cannot attend Monday's Tsukisamu Green Dome show and New Japan has stripped him of the IWGP Heavyweight Title. For many, this was expected when he first won the belt, but when he kept returning and returning, doubts started to fade. Whether there is any truth to the "working visa" reason I don't know, but the fact is again an overpriced and undertalented primadonna has turned out to be nothing but a problem for New Japan. Simon Inoki posted a formal apology on the official site and gave refundment details (they don't usually do this, but they realize the severity of this incident), but there will be a tournament on Monday to determine a new champion right before the G1. On a personal note, and I try to stay positive (I will always support New Japan, but not everyone will), Simon Inoki should take all the blame for this and instantly be removed as New Japan president (or better yet, resign his post and take responsibility). Lesnar has been Simon's project when opposition in the company has called for him to get the belt off Brock for months now. There was a high chance that could have happened at the Green Dome, but we'll never know. After regaining so much trust this year, New Japan has again taken a step back and again has to restart from scratch in building fan trust. There may come a time, and it could be this one, that it is too late to do that. There is also the question of how this will effect wrestlers. The tournament on Monday has to be done as well as possible in this situation, and the G1 has to be done even better. The 9/1 Budokan show, an Inoki(s) brainstorm, should be axed immediately by Yuke's, and Naoki Sugehayashi or someone equally suitable has to replace Simon as president.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
This doesn't shock me at all. Tanahashi was better than 50/50 to win, unlike any of Lesnar's past matches. And NOW Lesnar can't make it over? Riiiiiight. The only time a major gaijin had visa issues was when Dr. Death Steve Williams got caught with pot and nearly was blackballed from wrestling in Japan for good.

Lesnar didn't feel like jobbing, now New Japan looks that much more B-league. All these crappy non-touring outsider title reigns have made the IWGP title arguably look worse than the Triple Crown, which is defended in struggling All Japan, to say nothing of the GHC title.

I can't wait to see how much NJ struggles to fill Sumo Hall when I go to Tokyo in three weeks.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster

Ditch posted:

I can't wait to see how much NJ struggles to fill Sumo Hall when I go to Tokyo in three weeks.

I didn't know you were going back. How much wrestling are you going to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'll be there from 8/8 to 8/18. Should see HUSTLE at Korakuen on 8/9, maybe DDT on 8/10, DG at Korakuen on 8/11, G-1 final nights 8/12 and 8/13 (25th birthday!), and maybe Big Japan in Nagoya on 8/15.