Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EvilMuppet posted:

Is there any sort of an adapter that will allow ISA devices to work with modern mobos? If not What is the "best/fastest" (legacy) mobo that will support ISA natively? This is for home use so nothing too outrageously expensive. would allow you to run an old ISA Video card (Sound blaster 16 etc) in a more modern PC.

I found this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/32Bit-PCI-Ri...=item3ca2f751d3

but apparently there would be different frequencies and voltage issues?

That's just a riser card, to use a PCI card in a slim case.

You could use something like this:
http://www.arstech.com/item--usb2isa.html

I think there are PCI cards which you can use to connect to a box with 5 ISA cards inside, but they don't work for some cards.

What are you trying to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the general opinion on 'green' hard drives, especially for server use?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a site (with benchmarks) that compare the following data storage methods:

ATA HD
SATA HD
SSD HD
Fibre channel SAN
iSCSI SAN
USB 2.0/3.0
FW 400/800

etc?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Go to a car dealership and buy a part, then go to the junkyard and buy a part, it's a similar concept. Usually the stuff on Ebay is generic stuff and cheap, you may get a few years worth of time out of it, or it might break in a few weeks. Usually the batteries straight from dell are "branded" and cost tons more than they should. It's the same thing with Power Supplies and other things that go bad on laptops.

Computer 'junkyard' stuff is usually pretty expensive. A better comparison would be to buy a Chinese knock-off of that car part from eBay.

I bought a mirror for my truck that way, the dealer wanted $250 (can't buy just the cover, you have to buy the whole mirror assembly), found one on eBay for $55. It's not quite the same as the factory mirror but it's close enough.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Handgrip posted:

I have a Dell Poweredge T300 with a Dell SAS 6/iR controller in it.
Does anyone know of anyway to monitor the controller from Windows? I can't get to the machine at startup as it is at a remote site.
Cheers

Download Dell OpenManage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

I asked this before, didn't really get a clear answer:

Going to pull the trigger sometime today on a new 2tb "green" hard drive. I was looking at the WD 2TB Green. Should I go ahead and drop on that, or should I look for a Spinpoint f2 (Their 'green' version I think)?

I thought everyone was saying to stay away from those? What's the projected cost savings, energy-wise, going from a regular drive to a 'green' one?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I thought there was a reliability issue. I gotta start paying more attention to what I read.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BorderPatrol posted:

That looks like an HP computer. You'll have to contact HP to get the adapter, or get the part number and pick one up off eBay.

If it is an HP, do you have a P/N number of the computer? Should be on the bottom next to the serial number.

Looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hp-Pavilion-DV9300-Sata-Laptop-HDD-Caddy-Connector-/300420443136?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is sticking 2 drives on the same IDE cable a stupid idea, assuming it's a Pentium 4 system with the ultra-ata 133 setup?

I can't seem to get a straight answer on if only one drive can do anything at any given time. Would I be better off sticking the second drive on the other channel?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I want to buy an Acer Aspire 5735Z. Unfortunately it uses an Intel GMA 4500MHD.

Now grant in mind that I do not want to use this for gaming at all what so ever. However I do like to stream HD Video and have all the nice graphical effects in Windows 7 and Ubuntu turned up. Will the Intel GMA 4500MHD perform smoothly at streaming HD video and do the flashy OS effects?

You should be ok, I have a Dell Vostro with the 4500 and it works fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Great. I really am a whore for Compiz.

Though I have heard that the computer has Wifi problems with the older versions of Ubuntu. :ohdear:

Replace it with an intel card. Easy fix.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VectorSigma posted:

I just had a capacitor fall off my old BFG 8800GT OC. I did a ghetto solder reflow by baking it in the oven for a few minutes, and the bastard just fell off the board when I pulled it out.

...and it still works perfectly fine.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen?

We used to bust caps off running PC's at Best Buy, if the customer was a dick. It almost never affected them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

Hi!

We're looking for tiny form factor zero clients, without being zero clients.

Here's an overview of our ideal hardware specs:

We're configuring some of our workstations to connect to a PXE server and load boot images on weak little machines without any local OS. They run RDP and that's pretty much it.

Since Wyse and other vendors are like f you want want you to do this yourself we're giving you all kinds of extraneous crap, we're looking at a homebrew Linux solution.

Any recommendations? Personally I'm for a tiny board from New Egg in an American Spirit tin but that isn't going over well.

I bought one of those a couple years back (and am trying to sell it, actually) from BosaNova here in the US. Except they are 256MB RAM with a smaller 512MB flash storage.

There was a tiny-PC thread a while back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

adomorn posted:

I've got this:

2.8 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
6 GB PC5300 RAM
Radeon HD 4850 Graphics adapter - 1 GB - DDR3 SDRAM
400 GB HD
300W PSU

I've got 200 bux to upgrade it. What should I do?

What does it not do, that you want it to do?

I would stick an SSD in it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

I have two samsung f3 1 tb drives. I bought them at different times for different purposes, but now i want to put both in the same computer. Would it be a bad idea to put them into raid 0? Apparently there is a samsung f3r intended for raid, and i read somewhere that the regular f3 is not as reliable in raid.

Other than if one drive has a failure all your data will be lost and your computer will explode and kill your dog and mom? No.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What the gently caress card is this?

Huge ISA card with one 9 pin serial and 3 game/MIDI ports :wtf:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

arroze posted:

Looks like a plain old serial card to me.

What the gently caress kind of serial card has 15-pin ports?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

arroze posted:

I found this page for you:

http://superuser.com/questions/59564/15-pin-serial-cable

The DB-15 ports were used for game/thick ethernet.

MIDI/game or AUI (network), and old Macs used them for video. Turns out it some custom card that just uses 15 pin ports, and it speaks to a CNC controller.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mindphlux posted:

What would cause RAM to randomly give errors in memtest?

I have a computer that I know has something wrong with it - data keeps getting corrupted. I suspect memory.

I have 4GB DDR3, voltage is right, speed is right. I've done 4 hours testing both modules, they came up clean. 2 hours on just one, came up clean, two hours on the other, came up clean. Put them both in, ran 4 hours, clean, and I decided to go to sleep. I wake up and the machine is off (?), I turn it back on, it boots into memtest, and tons of errors are going off.

I pull the ram out, 2 hours again on just one module comes up no errors, 2hours on other module no errors - I'm about to put them both in together again, but seriously WTF. I just know something strange is going on.

Bad MB? Is it just the second slot that's causing the problems?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I recently put together a retro gaming computer for my 90's games. Right now I've just got a 14 year old 10 GB hard drive in it. Rather than get a modern 80 gb or so drive I was thinking about getting a IDE compact flash adapter. Does anyone have any experience with these, and what would you recommend.

I've used them before in Linux and FreeBSD setups, but not Windows. It works fine, it's slower than a an old IDE HD but it's not that slow. It might even be faster for certain things.

The adapters are very simple like Space Gopher says. You basically just make sure you get the right adapter for your application. 3.5", 2.5", male or female connector, and make sure you choose the right power connection.

I have this one, I think:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10407&cs_id=1040705&p_id=6266&seq=1&format=2

The tricky part is choosing the right CF card. There are a ton of them out there. Make sure you get a card that supports Ultra DMA/PIO modes, otherwise you will get a ton of errors (or it'll freeze/lock on you), or you will have to turn those features off in your BIOS (if it even allows you) and deal with slower speeds.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd think it would actually be faster with the speed improvements to accommodate powerful DSLRs. Is there some reason it might be slower for some things?

I've seen 5-20MB/sec with the card I have. Some expensive cards will do 50+ but that's still about what a old 80GB HD will do. Your 10GB is probably not quite that fast, though.

Those are just raw transfers, I'm not sure what the read/write patterns and seek times are though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

From my recollection, a fair number of drives that old didn't support anything higher than Ultra ATA/33, so they of course never got any better than 33MB/s. According to Wikipedia, the spec for 66MB didn't hit until 2000, and I know they were producing 10GB drives as far back as '98 at least.

The slowest and oldest HD I have tested in recent times is a IBM 8GB drive, 4200RPM. I think it turned in something like 32 MB/s

Using this program:

http://www.linuxinsight.com/how_fast_is_your_disk.html

I have a 4GB Sandisk CF card that's nothing special, but I don't have a computer with an IDE port at home to test it on. I also have a PCMCIA adapter but I'm pretty sure I tested it before and it maxed out at something like 12MB/s.

Either way, if you've got a SNES9x/MAME box, the most important thing is going to be your CPU. So a CF card, even a slow one is going to be fine. On the other hand, after spending $10 for the adapter and $20 for the card you might as well have just bought a 160GB HD on craiglist for $10.

The other issue with CF cards is that they will wear out after a while. Probably not a big deal if you're using it in a emulator box and use a trick like no swap file or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Niwrad posted:

This is a dumb question most likely. Building a PC over at HP and they give me different processors to choose from. Now reading the FAQ here, I know I don't need anything better than a quad core. But there are like five different ones to choose from. AMD Athlon X4 640, AMD Phenom X4 955, etc. Is there a major difference in these that warrant the extra cost? Do I just settle for the cheapest quad core?

http://products.amd.com/pages/comparison/DesktopCPU.aspx

Search for the chip you're interested in + benchmarks and that will give you a better idea on the performance differences for the applications that matter to you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

I wouldn't use it as a NAS, but it seems wasteful to just throw it away. There are plenty of disadvantaged people who would be overjoyed to get something that can type school papers or resumes and browse the web, even if it's slow and sucks down power. Wipe it, throw XP and OpenOffice on there, and either give it to the local Goodwill or ask a local church if one of their parishioners could use an anonymous donation of an outdated but still working computer.

I have a couple at work that I have been using as Linux boxes but they are pretty drat slow. They are slowly dying. I tried to get rid of a few of them on CL but after spending the time to load a fresh copy of XP, do the updates, and make sure they run for a couple days before selling them, it's just not worth it. Hard to find people that will pay even $50 for it. I usually have to throw in a mouse+keyboard+crt

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

Practically, a 3.0GHz Prescott is not that much worse than a 2.0GHz C2D for loads that aren't well multithreaded (they have Hyperthreading, so they can handle a bit of thread-level parallelism but not like a dualcore) except that as everyone mentioned it will use much more power

It's a fairly capable machine for single-threaded stuff. Sort of. It will quickly get into things where its 2-3 times slower than a cheap desktop from the last year or so.

Dell Optiplex (E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 3GB) that had the stock WD RE 160GB 7200 RPM drive. I did the same install to the SSD in the same machine. The other machines I used for testing were:

Dell Optiplex P4 3.2GHz (HT disabled), WD 80GB ATA 7200RPM HD, 1GB RAM
1.6GHz Pentium-M laptop, 80GB Hitachi 7200RPM drive, 1GB RAM
VMware VM, ESXi 3.5, 2-VCPU (2.4GHz Xeon 5530) 512MB, 6x450GB 15K SAS RAID-6

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

cousinlarry posted:

Not that I'd necessarily be able to tell the difference, but is there any deterioration in video quality when passed through a KVM switch? Is there a better way to control multiple PCs these days?

Yes, it's noticeable but probably not a deal-breaker. Why not jut use remote desktop to control the other machine?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Externals are just internals in cases, so shop for them like you would an internal hard drive, basically.

Some of the 2.5" externals are weird HD's with a USB only interface, so that might piss you off if you decide to pull the case apart to use the HD as an internal one day. WD is infamous for this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Disharmony posted:

Somewhat hardware-related but I can't find a thread where I can post this.

Basically, I found these on my server logs. It's obviously IP addresses but I'm having a hard time interpreting it so maybe someone here can help me out.

(screenshots)
http://imgur.com/qKE5C
http://imgur.com/LAdXM

Thos aren't very informative.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steve Moore posted:

https://www.newegg.com

I'd also recommend Micro Center if you have one nearby, you can just go in and grab the parts you want off the shelf.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DropsySufferer posted:

That looks good, one is pretty close to where I live. I should be more specific that I'm not just looking for a location that sells hardware, I'd really like a kit so to speak that provides all I need in one package. I'm not sure if PC center is still in business but that's kinda what I'm looking for but I don't need anyone to assemble the PC.

Buy a bare-bones kit from TigerDirect (not sure if Micro Center sells something similar but they might)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31&name=Barebone-Kits&cm_sp=Masthead-_-Computer%20Parts-_-Spot%2002

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Morax posted:

I just got a biostar "open box" A880g+ AM3 motherboard from Newegg without the software and wonder how i set up the drivers and stuff? Will it boot without the software disk? I have not installed a motherboard in a long time. I'm going to download the drivers from biostar's site, but i'm kind of nervous doing this. Any help is appreciated.

If it's like the 'open-box' motherboards I got from NewEgg last week, it'll be broken so you won't have to worry about it :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steve Moore posted:

It will probably be easiest to reinstall XP, or better yet toss that ancient drive. You can't move drives from one computer to another and expect them to boot if they're not using the same chipset drivers - in particular the IDE (or SATA) drivers.

It's more of the issue that XP's copy protection will be set off, isn't it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

If it's like the 'open-box' motherboards I got from NewEgg last week, it'll be broken so you won't have to worry about it :haw:

:argh:

So much for their amazing customer service. They are refusing to give us an RMA because there's no serial number sticker on the motherboard. Hello, it was open-box!

The original rep we talked to offered to give us $90 off a new motherboard (the same model), but we don't have proof because their chat feature doesn't email you a log afterward (Dell, for instance does this). They just gave us some more instructions in another chat session, but before we could print them out, the agent closed the loving window! What the gently caress!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2.5" external HD's will massacre your laptop's battery.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It should be a crime to pay more than $50 for a P4. I throw them out to the street all the time.

You could get a Compaq/HP/eMachine that was a Best Buy purchase on CL for $50-$100, I'd take one of those with an Athon X2 over a P4 any day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Skilleddk posted:

Small question, I noticed one of the cores in my graphics card (Radeon 5970) is working under 100% load even while doing nothing. My usual idle temps used to be ~~45-50 degrees celsius, but now it's heating up to 70 and still rising over time. Catalyst version 11.3

It's still very much acceptable, but it's weird that it just started doing this all of a sudden. When I turn on the computer it's fine, at very low use, but after 2 minutes, the first core is at 99-100% load and it just heats up over time. I do not hear the fans spinning up any more than usual though.

edit: While typing this post, the 2nd core started acting up at 100%. What the hell :psyduck:

What OS?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

McGuirk posted:

I just inherited an X60 laptop by Lenovo, and I have two questions:

Where can I find a good battery replacement that doesn't die in 6 months, like all the reviews for the ones I find say they will, and two, can I do a SSD replacement on this laptop?

If you have a SATA drive, yes. If it's PATA, you -can- but it'll be expensive. My T42 (Pentium-M) is PATA :( I kind of want a X60 but it'd have to be dual-core, and a little bit faster because mine is borderline to slow to use anymore. Well, it'd probably be okay with FluxBox or XP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

McGuirk posted:

If it is SATA, where would I look?

Is it basically just a swap?

You should have a 'AHCI' option in the BIOS or you could check device manager/dmesg.

It looks like they are all SATA though:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X60

And, it looks like a simple replacement:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-62795.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

McGuirk posted:

So I took what you showed me to heart, and found this and this...

Battery

Hard Drive

From everything I've read/seen, this stuff should work... right?

I'd buy a used SSD, you're already up to spending $350 on parts to upgrade an older laptop. In theory you could sell your machine for $100 (maybe more) and you'd have $450 to buy a X220 or something with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Apple Magic Mouse?

Definitely clicks.

• Locked thread