Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I need some advice on a headphone and speaker amp for my computer setup.

I am not very knowledgeable about audio, but I like decent sound. I use a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic card, Altec Lansing MX 5021 speakers, and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones. My current setup is that the speakers are plugged directly into the 3.5mm stereo output of the XtremeMusic card, and when I use headphones, they are plugged into the audio controller that controls volume, treble, and bass (the standard type of controller that comes with most computer speakers). One issue is that the headphone audio degrades when run through this controller; when plugged directly into the 3.5mm output of the sound card, the audio is noticeably cleaner.

I'd like to upgrade my speakers to the Corsair SP2500 (or another similar 2.1 speaker system) and add an amplifier. This amplifier must accept a 3.5mm input from the sound card and be able to provide 3.5mm output for both the speakers and the headphones at the same time. Basically, it must have at least one 3.5mm input for the sound card and at least two 3.5mm outputs for the speakers and headphones, as well as a volume control knob for each. I also want this amplifier to do more than provide audio to multiple sources -- I primarily want it to make my music and games sound better. My budget is up to $300, but I'd also like to be reasonable in what I buy; an amp that costs $100 more but sounds 10% better is not worth it to me, even if it's within my budget. I don't know what these types of amps are called, and which ones simply split signals and which ones actually improve audio quality.

Also, I realize that some amps have 1/4" holes instead of 1/8" ones, so as long as I can use an adapter, the holes can be any size that can accommodate or be transformed to accommodate a standard (green-colored) analog 3.5mm plug.

Specifically, I am looking for an amp like this, but one that will make the audio sound cleaner, crisper, and better. As you can see, it has an 1/4" input for the sound card four 1/4" outputs for the headphones and speakers (I would only need two, though). Would this more expensive one work for my purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

I'm not the board's biggest audio geek, but I'm going to suggest a slightly different route:

Your headphones are well more than fine, but they need a headphone amp to sound good due to their high resistance. The rest of your equipment...

Computer audio sucks. As in, audio parts marketed to computer users suck. X-Fi audio is a step above integrated audio, but the claims made by Creative about the cards' quality are filled with audiophile bullshit. And the overwhelming majority of computer-marketed speakers blow goats: either they're boomy and bass-heavy with terrible detail in highs and mids, or they are tinny and screechy.

As I am typing this, I am loving loathing the Logitech 2.1 set hooked up to my HTPC.

There are very, very few exceptions to the "computer audio sucks" rule. I don't know all of them. There's a thread in A/V Arena where people discuss them. But here's the best bang for your buck in terms of faithful reproduction of sound and flat response:
  • Asus Xonar sound card, specifically a DG, DGX if you need PCIe, or DX if you don't believe the DG/DGX is really as good as it is.
  • A pair of entry-level 2.0 studio monitors. I use an M-Audio AV40 set, which is amplified.
  • If you want a subwoofer, a Polk Audio PSW10. You will need a little basic Radio Shack magic to split the input between the subwoofer and the monitors. It's powered, so it also does not need its own amp.
  • Depending on your desk, some stands to keep the monitors off the desk and at ear-level. Some people call this an absolute requirement, but it might depend on your desk and how you sit.
  • Since the Xonar line's headphone amp only handles up to 150 Ohm, you will still need a headphone amp. I have no suggestions, but the aforementioned A/V Arena computer audio thread probably does or can come up with an answer.

Best of all, compared to computer speakers and X-Fi cards, this stuff isn't that expensive for the sound quality difference.

What kind of amp? Do you have any that you recommend for my purposes? This was my basic question.

I was thinking about an ASUS Xonar ST or STX, but I'm not sure how much of a difference I'd hear coming from an X-Fi XtremeMusic. I have not heard that computer speakers suck before; I've heard just the opposite given a good setup. A good soundcard, speakers, and an amp, I've read, can be better than much more expensive home audio setups. I also got my X-Fi card in 2005 or 2006, a short while after building my first computer. Coming from integrated audio, there was a substantial improvement in audio quality. I just don't have other cards to compare mine to.

My speakers rest on my desk below ear level, but I rarely use while at my desk. I'm usually doing stuff around my room when I use them, or if I'm watching something. I usually use my headphones when I'm sitting.

What 2.1 Logitech speakers are you using?

Do you suggest that I move my post to the A/V Arena forum?

small butter fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 21, 2012

• Locked thread