Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a cheap TV tuner:

PCI (not express)
has Win7 64bit drivers
takes composite input in addition to coax
cheap-ish
not too laggy (for old consoles)

Yeah I know I can emulate but thats not the point here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MasterBuilder posted:

I have a potentially retarded question. On startup an integrated graphics card allocates memory from the system and I assume is limited to a point where the graphics card does not take up more than the system can afford to give up. So if you increase the system memory can you tell the graphics card that it can allocate more memory?

Not sure about how the bleeding edge stuff works but I remember older systems where the amount of memory taken is defined in the bios or just plain fixed.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone know if the HP xw8200 workstation will take dual core Xeons?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm looking at the Dell Precision 670 workstation and its memory layout. It's documented as having a max memory of 16GB yet it only has 6 slots. I guess 4x4GB would be 16 with 2 unfilled. Does anyone know if 4 slots would be optimum or if its a triple channel type? Its an older netburst architecture.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Derpes Simplex posted:

IIRC 670s have three dual-channel memory lanes. We filled ours with 2x4GB each and they've been fine. My guess is that Dell never envisioned 4GB DDR2 modules, so they instead designed it with more slots.

e: oh by the way the BIOS is really picky on those things, each channel needs to have exactly matching modules and if you have more than 4(?) GB of RAM it won't boot and tell you that you need to install a memory fan. The header is pretty close to the RAM slots and I think the mount is the same as the vents over the processors.

I just read the manual a bit more carefully and it seems that you can only use 4 slots if you use dual bank memory. Thats fine for me.

About the memory fan. It seems like the Dell unit is super expensive. Do you have one? I'd like to know what the pin layout is so I can use any after market fan. I've read it also works by putting a load between the 2 side pins on the header.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Derpes Simplex posted:

It's a standard 3 or 4 pin connector. We didn't have memory fans on ours either since they were both ordered with 3 GB. We had a few OptiPlexes of about the same vintage that we were parting out and I grabbed a rear case fan and connected it, which was enough to satiate the BIOS, and I left it pointing vaguely in the direction of the RAM because I had nothing to mount it on. Looking back, I don't quite recall what the mounting bracket is, it may have been a special part. I believe it's a ducting piece used to direct air out of the rear of the case with a spot to screw the fan into. I also never figured out if the fan is actually necessary for cooling or just something the BIOS wants.

Just found this gem of a discussion on the topic:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7586_102-261994-0.html?tag=rb_content;forums06

seems like its an uncommon 3 pin header with a 12v pin in a middle, ground on one side and a dumb switch on the other. The non ground pin just needs to be shorted to ground for the system to think a fan is there. I'm going to rig an arctic cooling ram fan with that connector and short both side pins. That should get me results!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Derpes Simplex posted:

Well, I guess the OptiPlex fans I salvaged are uncommon :v:

Wait, you got any more of those? Or at least a Dell part number?

gently caress it. not worth the effort.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lilleput posted:

Will the Synology DiskStation DS411J take harddrives of different sizes at the same time? I can only confirm that it maxes out at 4 x 2TB.

You might want to ask this in the NAS thread.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

david06 posted:

As someone who's built more than a few computers in the past, I can't believe I'm asking this, but here goes: if I want to buy a finished computer, what's the best brand nowadays? I'm mostly a Mac person now but might need a low to mid-range PC desktop soon. I don't feel like picking components or putting things together.

(please tell me something other than Dell)

There's a great market for last gen workstations if you're into those. They are always much nicer to work on than the consumer models. I could check out older Dell and HP worksations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So, this is concerning dual GPU video cards. For instance, the HD4870X2, comes with 2GB of memory with 1GB attached to each GPU. I take it the memory isn't really shared at all so any app/game that loads a texture or some other data into that memory has to load it twice for each GPU so as far as memory capacity its really the same limitation as a single GPU card with half the memory right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not sure if this might warrant its own thread.

I'm looking for a very specific dell internal 6 pin power cable/adapter. Here's a pic of it. Its the one in the lower right corner labelled DELL P6:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cputopiaonline/mp3atx40.jpg

The one on my Precision 670 power supply only has 5 of the 6 conductors in use (3 color, 2 black). I'm assuming that the 3 colors mean different voltages but I haven't put a meter to it yet. I want to adapt it to pcie 6 pin power. I'm not sure if Dell ever made an adapter for that purpose but I can't seem to find anything that would go into it online. The connector I have is the one pictured so I need the male version of it to do a custom job but I can't find it.

Edit:
Well it looks like the 6th pin is supposed to be empty and it does carry 3 different voltages:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/dell%206%20pin%20power%20harness/wrench97/Dell6pin.jpg

Edit2:
Well I found the connectors at my local electronics shop so I'm good on building my own adapter but I still have no clue what these connectors are called.

https://www.philmore-datak.com/mc/Page%2032.pdf

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 18, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there any way to do point scaling on display output with nvidia's latest drivers (Quadro FX570m)? I basically want each pixel to be rendered as a 2x2 pixel block with no blurry edges. I've got a 1920x1200 15" laptop display and the gfx can't run most games at that native res.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

enotnert posted:

Problem is, you are trying to game on a quadro.

So? Its basically an 8600M-GT.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are any of the mobo makers making dual socket Xeon boards that also support overclocking? I haven't looked into that segment of the market for a long long time and last time I checked they didn't.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factory Factory posted:

As someone who once actually owned an Athlon MP system, I think that hexacore chips have neatly filled that particular market segment. Multicore in general has definitely filled a lot of the computing needs.

That said, enjoy.

Ah cool, I'll be looking forward to the SB version of this if EVGA decides to make one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I just threw 8GB (2x4GB) into a laptop that doesn't officially support anything past 4GB and even Intel's page on the chipset says it's max is 4GB. However, I'm able to boot into 64bit Windows and 'see' all the memory and it reports correctly in the BIOS and passes the basic memtest scan which also reported the correct amount.

Is there a small app I could run in Windows that will eat up a poo poo ton of memory to see if anything goofy happens or should I not be worried at this point?

Its a Thinkpad R61i with an Intel GM965 chipset.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Create a bunch of 25000x25000 images in photoshop?

Apparently it supports 8GB, per the posts in this thread:
http://forums.thinkpads.com/~thinkpad/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=78095

Well I could but I didn't feel like installing PS(not a small app) just for this test. Not my laptop.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
^^^
Where can I get a small compiler without installing a full blown IDE? Kidding...

I just downloaded good old prime95 and ran a custom stress test that uses 7GB. Then I just let it run while surfing around and nothing has crashed/failed yet.

Funny how Intel's own document says this chipset maxes out at 4GB yet its clearly working.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there anything 'new' in power supplies today that would have been possible 5-10-15 years ago?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So my old Dell 670 workstation should support 3TB drives fine on the built in SATA controller. I should be able to create GPT partitions in Win7. I just won't be able to boot from them right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I know the actual core is much smaller than the heat spreader but doesn't having compound on the whole heat spreader still help since, well, its job is to spread the heat?

Has anyone tested this with a very small dot of compound that just covers the physical area of the core vs a large amount that covers the whole heat spreader?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I still don't see how you could have a scenario with 'too much' compound these days unless the compound was really really viscous. I mean, even if you put the entire tube in the middle, the pressure from the mounting and heat from the CPU should squeeze out all of the excess and the thickness should be no more than if you applied a more appropriate amount.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a way to get nearest neighbor scaling on nvidia GPUs? I've got a Thinkpad with an nvidia 570M but the LCD is 1920x1200 and most games run like crap on that GPU at that resolution. It would be ideal to run at 2x nearest neighbor interpolation at something close to 960x600 but I can't seem to get the latest drivers to do this.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

movax posted:

Maybe it's GPU dependent, but my NV control panel has it under "Display -> Adjust desktop size and position -> Scaling". I've got my 460 set to aspect-ratio GPU scaling for my 30" display.

Yeah, I've got that too but that doesn't change the way it re-samples.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just a big hypothetical here:

So what kind of complete system (OEM or built) would have the best computation/$ ratio? Lets not factor in power consumption. Also not ruling out OEM systems/parts that may have been recently dumped on the used market.

Err, let me phrase it this way. If you had $20k to build a cluster to run some distributed simulation and power consumption was not a factor, what parts would you use? Not allowed to overclock. Sim is floating point CPU dependent and the GPU is not relevant. Lets also assume the simulation scales linearly across any number of machines so there's not going to be any issues having too many or too few clients.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can someone tell me why CPU sockets have varied wildly in pin count over the last few years? What are all those extra pins for?

For instance, 775 vs 1366.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are current video cards limited to 4-way SLI/CF? I've see a few articles about mutli card with dual GPU cards but none of them use more than 2x2.

Any technical reasons why >4 may be difficult to implement from a software side?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not sure if this is the right thread but have any rumors surfaced about the next round of consoles from MS and Sony? A buddy of mine who works in the industry says that a very small number of studios are already gearing up for them even if just on paper.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Install Gentoo posted:

3) Supposedly the next Xbox and Playstation will run on x86-64

This would be interesting if true since it would almost guarantee that the PC build of the major titles also be 64bit or dual 32/64 if they care to spend the extra coding effort. Perhaps the first wave(s) might be 32bit due to developers not having the time to migrate their old engines over if 32bit compatibility is available.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do dual GPU cards have PCIe bandwidth issues compared to 2 single GPU cards having to share a single PCIe slot?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factory Factory posted:

Short answer: Yes if the slot is PCIe x8 2.0 or below, not really if it's PCIe x16 2.0 or faster. But you're never buying a dual-GPU card if you can help it, especially not one that wouldn't be in a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, so don't worry.

Long answer: If you're just using one of them, and your motherboard supports PCIe 2.0 or higher, and you have the card in a 16-lane slot, there are no significant problems with PCIe bandwidth. Little, piddly, fractions of a percentage point problems, who cares?

For a single card, PCIe 2.0 x8 is plenty of bus bandwidth. Below that, the lack of bandwidth really starts to hurt the card. But a dual-GPU card splitting that bandwidth only gets x4 worth of bandwidth per GPU, and that hurts. That hurts to the point where your uber-expensive high-end card begins to perform like two significantly cheaper lower-end cards in regular SLI/CF. Many times, this is exacerbated by the higher resolutions (2560x1440 and above) that you would consider a dual-GPU card for, though this can also be mitigated by if the GPUs aren't fast enough pushing pixels to max out the bandwidth in the first place.

Dual-GPU cards are also dumbsilly for the following reasons:
1) The official dual-GPU top-enders like the GTX 590 and Radeon 6990 are marked up combinations of marked-up top-binned parts, which throws their position on the price/performance curve into the toilet unless you just GOTTA have the most power possible in your one and only PCIe slot. This is less the case for unofficial dual-GPU cards, like the EVGA 560 Ti 2Win

2) They draw an incredible amount of power and put out an incredible amount of heat in a very small space, leading them to be both hotter and louder than two physical cards.

3) They're really long and difficult to fit in a case.

4) Related to the power/heat issue, they often have to be downclocked from two of the cards they're supposed to be.

5) The VRMs necessary to put out enough power for two GPUs on one card are often stressed near the breaking point already, making such cards terrible overclockers (not to mention the heat). Since overclocking is easy enough these days to practically be free performance, this is a major hit in a dual-GPU card's value.

Thanks for that. So does that mean we won't really need cards to be on x16 slots for PCIe 3.0?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does intel plan to phase out dual core CPUs? If so, when? AMD?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Agreed posted:

The i3s have a place. Really low TDP - 65W for desktop, and iirc 35W for laptop - considering performance that stacks up to 95W/125W TDP quads from AMD. That puts them in a good spot competitively for both powerful portable and inexpensive desktop usage. Ivy Bridge is going to make the sweet spots sweeter there, too. Even the best ARM chips, low power and however many core they may be, don't have poo poo on the Sandy Bridge architecture for performance, and with Ivy Bridge bringing integrated GPU improvements along with super low TDP for dual-core w/ HT and even bringing the possibility of legit quads to long-life laptops, I don't think we'll see dual core get phased out.

The single-threaded performance is just so dominating that there's no reason to get rid of it, and the power efficiency is so great there are a lot of reasons to keep it. The i3 2100s have the HD3000 integrated GPU, which, while not "wow I can actually play modern games if I turn the settings way down" like Llano, is still a whole lotta GPU for an integrated chip and brings substantial power and cost savings over discrete graphics in laptops. Ivy Bridge will do a lot to close the GPU performance gap while making the rest that much better too.

What about AMD? Do their future architectures even allow for dual 'core'? Are there plans for single module Bulldozer part?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What were some of the earliest 4 socket capable Intel CPUs/Platforms? Pentium 3 based Xeon?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

grumperfish posted:

Earlier than that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Pro

E: Not sure if it's the first 4-socket capable chip, but it could be used in dual and quad-socket configurations.

Ahh right. Hmm. I remember not seeing 4P for a while after the PPro though.

Edit: Nevermind. It looks like PII based Xeon which replaced PPro supported 4P from the get go.

Edit2:
So can someone explain to me how this P3 Xeon board:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P3/HE/S2QR6.cfm

Supports 16GB of memory when the P3 arch was 32bit? PAE?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 4, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

Exactly, it was actually even usable in Windows XP Pro prior to SP2, as I recall.

What happened after SP2?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I must have missed the PAE train when it was 'popular'.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Oddhair posted:

It's not really hardware, but does anyone know how to get a Windows key from an offline drive? A friend of mine/employee of my lawyer brought me a computer with a clicking HD. To further complicate it this thing has Truecrypt full-drive encryption on it. I don't yet know if I'll even be able to get anything off of it, but if I can only grab his docs and maybe the Windows key that should be fine.

I'm going to try both the ~ahem~ percussive method and the freezer trick if necessary.

There's absolutely no other record of the key? Its not on a sticker?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Did we ever have a thread here for old computers and exotic computers? I have a few machines I keep around for sentimental value and I'm always trying to bring them back to life in some for or another. I find it a good distraction from the other computer poo poo I have to do at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Didn't get any responses in the laptop thread and I'm not sure if its relevant there anymore but what were some kick rear end P3-mobile laptops? Did any P3-M chipsets support more than 1GB of memory?

• Locked thread