Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've determined that the wireless NIC in my laptop is lovely, I'm sure due to lovely drivers. I'm using one that doesn't suck in my Cardbus slot, but I'd like to replace the internal one. It is a Mini PCI Type IIIB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI#Mini_PCI - picture on the right.

Any suggestions for one? Wireless G is all I need, anything above that is a bonus, so is Bluetooth. The lovely one is a Broadcom 4318.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jetfire posted:

I guess this would fit better in the Haus, but this shouldn't take more than one reply: I've had my WD Passport Ex-HD for a while, but the last time I tried to connect it to my computer it sort of clicked inside, and didn't connect. I tried it with another USB cable, and it worked.

It works with the cable I'm using right now, but the clicks I heard earlier worry me. Should I replace it? I've had it for about three-four years now, and the Seagate FreeAgent Pros are on sale right now anyways.

Can't hurt to run Data Lifeguard tools on it, if it throws any errors and you still happen to have warranty then you have grounds for and RMA.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Doody the Clown posted:

I just picked up a new 1TB Spinpoint F3 to use as my new system drive. It's replacing a 250GB WD drive that I've been using for around 5 years and am giving to a friend as he needs some extra storage space. If I clone the drive over to the 1TB drive, will I be able to rip out the 250GB and boot fine from the 1TB?

Running Windows 7 btw.

Should be OK, what are you using to clone?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I don't know anything about Clonezilla - never tried it, but I've heard good things here. I'd say just try it and see if it works. Clonezilla may have an option saying "make the new drive the boot drive."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What is your power supply unit?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

sm8000 posted:

I've determined that the wireless NIC in my laptop is lovely, I'm sure due to lovely drivers. I'm using one that doesn't suck in my Cardbus slot, but I'd like to replace the internal one. It is a Mini PCI Type IIIB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI#Mini_PCI - picture on the right.

Any suggestions for one? Wireless G is all I need, anything above that is a bonus, so is Bluetooth. The lovely one is a Broadcom 4318.

No answer to this yet :( It turns out I'm also in need of infrared - my laptop is an HP Pavilion dv5030us and today I picked up a remote for it. However it needs infrared and it seems my laptop doesn't have that.

Can I get an internal wireless card to replace the current one, that also adds IR support?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BorderPatrol posted:

I'm not sure what chip your laptop has now, but the Broadcom and Intel ProSet internal wireless cards seem to be OK. They're all over ebay for $10 or so.

They do made wireless card that have bluetooth built in as well, but they seem to just be available in the Mini PCI-E slots though.

The infrared on the laptop is actually built onto the mainboard and not available as a removable card. Your laptop came with the remote originally so it should have IR built in, perhaps it's just disabled?

The embedded WLAN in my laptop is a Broadcom 4318. Maybe when I upgrade it to Vista it will have better drivers. I can't find anything in the BIOS about infrared. Not sure if my model originally came with a remote or not.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nothing in Control Panel, but I will try a new battery and post back when I have. Thanks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The easiest way to determine potential upgrades for that AMD computer is to go to e.g. crucial.com and plug in the motherboard make and model. If it's a prebuilt (e.g. HP, Dell, etc.) you can search by that model.

As for the laptop, what kind of problems is it showing and what kind of hardware does it run (what make/model is it)? I don't think you can use an OEM anyway, maybe if it's the same brand as the OEM disc but I'm not sure about that either.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It might just be that you need a new DC jack, which tend to be cheap and easy to replace (may require some soldering, though).

Checking the specs of that laptop, it should run Win7 just fine, though you may need to get drivers from e.g. intel.com

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nowadays, an aftermarket sound card's advantages are basically features not always included in onboard sound like Dolby Digital/DTS, etc. Check out this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3242925

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You're better off learning how to troubleshoot ISP/connectivity issues first. Don't assume any hardware has failed until you've eliminated as much else as possible first.

For example, if it's DSL and it uses PPPoE credentials (a login name & password), then I use those credentials and see if I get connected on dialup, or if I can login to the ISP's portal. If it's AT&T DSL, I can use the name/pass at yahoo.com

Also, plug a telephone into the DSL phone jack, if you don't get a dial tone that's trouble.

If it's DSL via PPPoE, is the modem set in bridge mode and does the router have the credentials set up?

Can you ping the router? Can you ping a DNS server? Can you ping google.com?

There are some things to try.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Some Dells used differently wired power supplies such that were you to put a standard ATX unit in the thing would smoke your system.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I recently bought this laptop and had it delivered to my brother and his wife in Canada. They are asking me where they could get a keyboard skin for it. Anyone know of a source for this model in Canada?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I believe the TF-20 is just another name for the Athlon Neo. Anyway I tried it out briefly and found that the CPU is acceptable for light and some medium tasks for casual users. I didn't like the feel or layout of the keyboard at all though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a site (with benchmarks) that compare the following data storage methods:

ATA HD
SATA HD
SSD HD
Fibre channel SAN
iSCSI SAN
USB 2.0/3.0
FW 400/800

etc?

Maybe some of these are compared at StorageReview.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, I would rather enjoy the flexibility of using any 'size' PCI-E card (1x, 4x, 8x, 16x) in a 16x or 8x slot, instead of cutting my goddamn video card what the gently caress

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

KillHour posted:

Well, BFG finally sent me something to replace the 8800GTX I sent in. A GTX260. Before, I had 2 8800s in SLI, and I obviously can't use the 260 with the other 8800. So my question is, will a 260 be more powerful than 2 8800s? By how much?

gpureview lets you compare cards. Obviously it won't let you compare a single card to a pair or trio in SLI (plus there are 3 different GTX260s to choose from). I'd sell the 8800s to get matching newer cards, or sell the new one if you want to buy an older one and pocket some cash.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Scythe does indeed make some quiet 120mm fans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185056
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185089
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185057
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185088

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Couldn't hurt to check for a firmware update first.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chief McHeath posted:

My laptop's power supply bit it, and the cheapest I'm looking for the official thing is $70 at buy.com. Could I get away with buying a generic replacement? If so what are some good brands and places to look? Thanks.

I like searching the model number on the charger on eBay and Craigslist.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bucket Joneses posted:

Is there a quick way to discern between ECC and non-ECC memory by looking at the model number?

ECC will have a 72 in it while non-ECC will have a 64 - however the number 64 could show up for other reasons. That being said, if a non-ECC module has eight chips, the ECC module will have nine.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SRQ posted:

Audigy SE on win98se, yes/no.
As far as I can tell no?

OK, my curiosity is piqued. Why?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Did you plug the power connector into the new video card?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

strwrsxprt posted:

SoundStorm rules.

:hfive:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tried your TV's menu?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

voltron posted:

Are there any routers that will accept third party firmware, such as Tomato/DD-WRT, that also support N frequencies?

I love my 54GL, but I'd also like to use my new laptop's .11N if possible.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Just do a Ctrl+F for g/n

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

WNR1000 v1 User Manual.pdf

Verify whether it's v1, v2, or v3, it'll probably say on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

enotnert posted:

You forgot the cost of dignity.

That's priceless. For everything else, there's Mastercard.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Try booting into Safe Mode and running chkdsk /f.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

sineral posted:

My buddy gave me an HP s3507c that he said no longer produced video - even after he tried installing a new video card. He said it powered up just fine, just no output to a monitor. A little research on this led me to believe that the motherboard might be the problem.

Specs for the s3507c are here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...product=3771694

My question is this: Will I be able to gut the thing and put most of the components (processor, RAM, hard drive etc.) into a new aftermarket case with a new motherboard as long as the specs line up? Or are the parts made to only work with HP machines? I realize I will have to wipe the hard drive but that is not a problem. I've never built a computer before so pardon my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

The removable components should work just fine in any new system.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

-Blackadder- posted:

Ah, 32bit OS's only go up to 3.5GB of RAM? Heh, I thought that might be it but I wasn't sure. This is probably a stupid question but my PC knowledge is limited. Do you need anything for a 64-bit OS other than the Windows 64-bit OS? What I mean is, do I need a 64-bit mobo or something. I think I knew this once but I can't remember whether OS architecture is software only or requires specific hardware.

64-bit OS, and a 64-bit CPU (which rules out some older boards and chipsets). Then you can use 4GB of RAM or more.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mr_jeff posted:

I think the problem is in the ram... I looked at system properties and it said that the computer only has 480 mb of ram. I believe that when I built the computer years ago I actually put 512 mb (256x2) in it.

Your onboard video is using 32MB of your system RAM. You can adjust that in the BIOS. Or you can get a separate video card.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Xanin posted:

A while ago my hard drive failed, I turned on my PC one day and got this message:

DISK BOOT FAILURE

so I replaced the drive and am using my PC fine now.

However I now need to check if the failed drive has some important data on it, some stuff for work that I apparently have but can't find anywhere else.

How would I go about recovering what's on the drive? Would I have to take it to a PC repair shop or something? I'm in London, UK if anyone has any suggestions.

You could try hooking it up in another computer, unless it's really toast it would just show up as another drive letter.

If that doesn't work you could scour eBay, etc. for an identical drive in order to get the identical PCB. Maybe it'll spin up and work again, if only briefly.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You said you already have a router, what model is it? You could probably just use it as a switch, would be simpler and cheaper.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You could use that Linksys as a switch. Just turn off the DHCP, and (probably) don't plug anything into the WAN port. Should pretty much do it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

JEDEC specification is one stick of DDR400 per channel, two of DDR333, three of DDR266. Exceeding those is not guaranteed nor supported.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Get the part number for the inverter board and put it into eBay and Google Shopping.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

RAM alone has little effect on battery life - but taking advantage of that extra RAM could. Still, I'd get the RAM first and go easy on the battery until I replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Mack and Cheese posted:

Christ, I'm stupid. :byodood:

FFS WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOUR COMPUTER? WHAT ARE YOUR SYMPTOMS?

• Locked thread