Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
If you're running Windows 7 Professional or above, software RAID1 is supported without any dodgy hacks, so you could just do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

If you haven't overclocked your graphics card, serious artifacting is usually a sign the card is no good. It could be overheating, sure, but as long as the fan is actually working and your case isn't a sauna, a graphics card should cope with that fine at stock speeds.

Since you say you recently bought it, I'd seriously consider sending it in for an RMA.

First though, don't use the manufacturer's site for drivers, head over straight to NVIDIA's site for the driver.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

It seems like they didn't design the 2.5" and 3.5" spec with this in mind or else they could have made it work with a simple center aligned plug for both formats that would have allowed the first WD icepack to work.

On the contrary, it's nice that in the world of SATA, we don't (normally) have different plugs for 2.5" and 3.5" versions, unlike IDE.

They could have easily made the plugs line up, but they'd have had to redesign the case to have the drive offset from the center and low down, with the heatsink above the drive. Whether trapping heat above the drive is a good idea is another thing, but whether it needs a big rear end heatsink is also another question

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

AC power is pretty neat too.

I think so too, but power supplies are a common point of failure, so it's nice to be able to replace them.

What we need is more modular design, where the power supply slides out or unclips from the rest of the case. I'm thinking along the lines of the Nintendo 64 power supply, but with a standard socket on it instead of a built in AC lead.

Because nobody likes wall warts.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zilkin posted:

Should I turn off Intel Turbo Boost if I manually overclock? What I'm afraid is that if I have my processor at 4.5 Ghz and then Intel Turbo Boost kicks in too it will fry my CPU. :ohdear:

No, no.

You should be setting the turbo multiplier as your overclock target!

That is to say, turbo is your friend. It does the overclocking for you under load, then drops back without it, then speedstep cuts back even more in idle time.

Infact, I'm confused, is there even another way to do it? I don't even recall seeing base multiplier changes in my bios..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I have a 2500K and I set my turbo multiplier to 43, and left everything else on auto. Oh, except changing my RAM frequency to DDR3-1600. It worked OK at 4.5 but I want less heat/so it'll run quieter, basically.

There wasn't anything else to it.

Also, no, the BIOS usually has an option to change Turbo boost to all cores (although mine seemed to do this off the bat). That is to say, it turbos no matter how many cores are loaded.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 13, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

8 hard drives, onboard graphics, and a low power CPU are never going to saturate a good quality 450 watt.

The size of power supply is, I would suggest, not the problem here. Even on a high end system, you'd struggle to reach 450W pulled at the wall, let alone DC side.

It's possible that it's faulty, but it's just as possible anything else is faulty, too. Since it's all new you can't really rule anything out easily as nothing is "known good" to you.

Sure, it's cold where it is, but maybe the heatsink isn't fitted right, or there was too much paste applied (I'm assuming the CPU and heatsink were already installed on the board), so it might be worth looking at temps.

Are you sure it's not just something silly like the default power management settings being aggressive? That said, that wouldn't explain why it worked for a week. Hm.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, doesn't sound like it would be anything else if you're stuck at that point. I'd strike out overheating.

Your best bet is to borrow a PSU and try it out for a while, to see if it helps. Always easier to replace that PSU first (or RMA it of course) than the motherboard.

I'll assume you tried the obvious stuff, such reseating the RAM and everything else plugged into the board.

vv Ahh, so the PSU has been working with no issues until 2 weeks ago? Yeah, I'd say it's unlikely to have developed a fault at the exact moment you had to build another machine (a low power one at that).

It doesn't explain why it wouldn't boot, but there could just be something slightly dodgy about the board. There's nothing bending the board, is there? Such as an excessive number of cables behind the motherboard tray pushing on it? I have no idea about the case, so I can't really guess.

You could try unplugging everything but the bare essentials, running it for a good while to see if it still works. It might be a bit awkward to pin down though.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 14, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I don't know, but I actually quite like the Dell BIOS.
The newer BIOSes look very similar, but forgo the blue, and you can use the mouse.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 17, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

A head crash is a very specific type of hard drive failure, where the head has physically hit into the platter.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

It's probably a hardware issue. Possibly a lovely driver. This is quickly going outside of the realm of easy answers.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I know exactly what you mean, and I get it all the time on my old Dell Latitude D800. Infact, if you get that feeling, here's something even cooler to try.

Sit next to something else that is grounded, like your PC (I assume it has a 3 prong plug), and touch the laptop lid. Now, rub your naked arm against the metal PC case. Then try removing your hand from the laptop, and rubbing. Yeah. It's completely messed up (I don't know if this will work for you).

When I did that it almost felt like there was a weird resistance, but it felt absolutely nothing like static shocks. It felt like the surface had more friction. Haha, I know it sounds crazy.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there an windows app that will let me log to file these things vs time:

cpu load
cpu temp
cpu frequency

Yes. CoreTemp.

http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Make sure to click "More Downloads" and then 32 bit or 64 bit to get the clean, exe only version.

When you turn logging on (tools>logging on), it creates a CSV file in the same folder that you launched the exe from.

You can set the logging interval in the options, 10s by default.

The CSV file contains CPU temp, CPU temp high and low since logging started, CPU load, and CPU speed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

If it encounters enough errors so that it drops the read down to PIO Mode, then it could freeze a bit, potentially.

I had a godawful SD Card reader that worked in PIO Mode, and it ran the system at 100% CPU usage on a Pentium M 2GHz, and copied at less than 1MB/s.

I replaced it with a decent one that had bus mastering, and woo, we're off.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I wouldn't touch Bulldozer with a barge pole. Tom's Hardware recently did benchmarks doing that very chip in a $1000 system, and it bottlenecked the GPUs over and over. But I guess if you live in a cold place, an extra space heater is a bonus.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SlayVus posted:

You can use any 360 controller that is corded. Wireless controller require a wireless receiver for the PC, which cost like $20-$30 by itself and some games don't support wireless controllers.

The wireless controller presents itself identically to the wired one, so I'm not sure where this problem comes from.

You don't even need to do anything manually on Windows 7 to get it all to work seamlessly. Just plug it in, Windows downloads the drivers and does the rest.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

As long as it's modern, even lovely onboard Intel graphics should do this. Some time ago I used to run the integrated graphics that came on a machine with a Pentium D to run two 1280x1024 monitors using Vista's effects, and it worked fine.

Right now, 1680x1050 + 1024x768 at work on crappy onboard AMD Radeon 3000 graphics.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bear in mind the mid-range Radeon 7 series are right round the corner, so it may affect the choices soon..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Disregard this

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Do Intel chipsets not support eSATA natively? Does eSATA need special treatment for hotplugging and power that first party Intel/AMD chipsets don't handle?

I think it's more that board manufacturers put the good ports inside, where you're going to use them all the time. When they're out of ports on the chipset, they toss on a lovely extra SATA controller for the eSATA port, which is rarely going to be used anyway, and performance is likely not as important.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

I am trying to get the eyefinity working on my 7970.
My 3 monitors are connected as follows
7970>HDMI>Monitor
7970>miniDisplay to DVI adaptor>Monitor
7970>DVI to VGA adaptor>Monitor

All three monitors are detected but when I group them together via eyefinity i get 3 duplicated screen instead of one large screen

Is it my adaptors that are causing it? I only used the ones supplied with the 7970

This is also posted in the monitor thread but I just noticed this one and i think it fits better

I have a vague feeling the HDMI and DVI share the same output, but I'm not certain on this, and it's hard to find anything on multi-monitor testing.

Edit: Eh, I think this is nonsense, but I still am not finding much

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 17, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I'm surprised more people aren't dicks about it.

I swear, a stolen cup of iron filings from science class, taken into a room full of Macbooks..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

semicolonsrock posted:

I would like my desktop to get wifi signals. What is a good way to do this? I would prefer a USB version, but it also needs to be pretty fast or it isn't worth it. Is this possible? I don't really know how this usually works.

Trivially possible with a USB wireless adapter.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dogen posted:

I've never seen a PSU that exhausts that way. Recently, at least, and perhaps ever.

I have, once.

Pentium III era either Compaq or Fujitsu-siemens desktop. Weird PSU size and shape, had a fan that blew into the case, cowled over the CPU. Yup, the CPU was cooled by hot air from the PSU.

To be fair, the PSU was probably tiny in output so the air coming out wasn't very warm, but you can see why such a design wasn't repeated.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

I ran the speedfan utility and my graphics card is running at 65C. Is this any cause for concern? It's a Diamond 6870 that I've had for about a year now and I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I recently upgraded my rig so I even gave it a good dusting. Is this normal considering I haven't even installed any video games on this computer yet?

On my old computer, I used the Speedfan program to manually raise the percentage of the graphics cards fan- is there a chance using the program disabled the automatic fan control on the card? It seems to be running at 29%. Is there an official program that will let me control when the fan turns on available through AMD? Speedfan is good but I'm scared I'll ruin things if I keep using it.

Edit: Interesting enough the temperature is down to 45. Does having a video file open affect the GPU even when the video is not playing? That would seem to be the only explanation for the temperature spike.

Windows 7 aero uses the graphics card to composite your desktop, too, so that counts as a "game" in some ways.

Basically, 45 completely idle is nothing to worry about, 65 under moderate load is definitely not either. The fan curves tend to be quite lax, letting the card run hot and quiet under relatively low-load conditions, then ramp up fast to cope with real gaming later.

I'd personally not be too bothered unless you saw 90+ degrees celcius on a graphics card. Well, unless it's a GTX 480, in which case it will probably be over 90 all the time :v:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Alexander Nevermind posted:

Are there any recommended memory test applications? Or is memtest the standard?

I just want to check some instability, if there is any.

Just thought I'd add that Windows 7 has built in memory testing.

start > mdsched

Runs a simple tool which will schedule a memory scan on next boot.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

I think most goons just say buy a good HDD and enclosure separately and use that.

Ah hah, that all changed since the flood. There are externals available that are cheaper than the bare drive that's inside.

It's worth checking around.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The one thing you haven't mentioned is the motherboard. In my experience, a handful of modern motherboards do exactly that, but they don't do it from a "warm-ish" start, where you still have DC applied to the motherboard.

For example, I had an ABIT IP35-E, and it did this, until a BIOS updated stopped it, as long as you left power to the board.
My old ASUS board also did this. It also had a weird problem where if it was too physically cold, it would sit there doing this for a while until it was warm, then would work fine.

Anecdotes aside, if you're not having any other problems with the machine, I wouldn't be concerned. Maybe check the manufacturer's site for a BIOS update (although my feeling with updates like this is often don't gently caress with it if it is working).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 20, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I have a 7800GT 512MB in my old Pentium 4 3.2 HT system (with 2GB RAM!), and even at that time it was really not worth buying, it was crazy expensive.

But the card itself will obviously be pretty decent, held back the CPU often.

Good luck finding one though, because I can't imagine they sold in large numbers.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 26, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Slightly ropey output quality on a VGA KVM isn't exactly a shocker.
I have a pile of VGA splitters here, and they make the output look like garbage.

That said, we also have a relatively large (probably wasn't cheap) VGA based KVM, and the output from that looks fine.

You always want to use DVI where possible, you'll simply get a better picture. If you can find a DVI KVM, I'd wager your problems with the display quality will disappear.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

I am running 3x1920x1200 off a 7970
Are there any mods for eyefinity that move the windows taskbar to the middle screen instead of having the the windows button be all the way to the left and the notification area all the way to the right?

Having one huge screen is nice but whipping my neck back and forth is not.

Right now I use ultramon for the taskbars and turn it off and turn on eyefinity when i game. Its such hassle and It would be nice to leave eyefinity on.

I thought this was one of the headline features of EyeFinity 2.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalyst122precertifieddriver.aspx

"HydraVision enhancements: The Windows Task bar can now be moved and resized based on users preference"

Supposedly anyway. I wouldn't know where the option is.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I had a Vertex 2 and it started to fall over after a year. I did every last troubleshooting step imaginable, including building an entirely new machine.

By the time I actually contacted OCZ for an RMA, they accepted I didn't need to do any troubleshooting, and sent me a new one (which I put in my laptop, and bought an Intel 320 for my desktop..)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

No. It makes literally no difference. SD card adapters are simply electro-mechanical. There's nothing in them except some tracks to run from the SD card you have to the larger size connectors, and some plastic to make it fit.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Experto Crede posted:

Intel Celeron G530

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Celeron_microprocessors#.22Sandy_Bridge.22_.2832_nm.29

Says it has a gimped version of the HD 2000.

Wikipedia posted:

HD Graphics (Sandy Bridge) contain 6 EUs as well as HD Graphics 2000, but does not support the following technologies: Intel Quick Sync Video, InTru 3D, Clear Video HD, Wireless Display, and it does not support 3D Video.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units#Intel_HD_Graphics

Yep. It's not actually considered "HD 2000" because of the gimping of features, but the actual 3D hardware should be the same.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 22, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Harold Ramis Drugs posted:

My laptop is kind of old and it overheats to the point of shutting down when I play newer games (Skyrim, D3 for example). To counter this, I have been pacing myself between playing the games, and placing my laptop in a cool area for a couple minutes, then resuming. I have been using my freezer and also an enclosed area in my back yard in the wintertime.

My typical rhythm is about 60-90 minutes of gametime, and 15-30 minutes of cooling. Is this safe, or should I just allow my laptop to cool for a longer period of time at ambient temperature?

Also, can any of you recommend a completely badass cooling pad? The one I'm using was a discount purchase at Staples, and I get the feeling it's less than adequate for my heat dispersion needs.

Check out some of the Cooler Master ones. I don't have one, but I recall someone recommend highly one of these - probably one of the "NotePal" ones - because it has fans that can be moved around to blow directly on the hot spots on the laptop.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There wasn't a 7800 GTX in AGP. I think there was a 7800 GS or something, and maybe some sort of 7950.

No GTX, but I have a 7800 GT AGP, although for some reason it was advertised as a GS, it has a GT core. Who knows why.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

quadratic posted:

Any suggestion for USB flash drives that are reliable, relatively inexpensive, and not designed by children and/or blind people?

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-DataTraveler-DTSE9H-16GBZ/dp/B006W8U2WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336237921&sr=8-1

Lovely - one solid piece of metal, slim so it doesn't overlap USB ports, no lovely flaps or covers. Can't recommend it highly enough. Only wish they did a 32GB version, and it could do with being a bit faster.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

khy posted:

That's exactly what I want.

Because unless I can bump every loving slider in Skyrim up to the absolute maximum it can go while having already replaced every single texture in the game with obscenely high resolution versions of them and still never dip below 60FPS, I won't be happy :)

If you're into ridiculously high res texture replacements, the more VRAM the better. I'd take a long hard look at a 7970.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Biggest human being Ever posted:

This picture shows the front of the Fractal Design R3, a case that's often recommended here. It looks to me like the fans would be pretty useless when the front door is closed, since they wouldn't be able to take in much outside air. I know this probably isn't true, but I don't know why. Can anyone explain?

They pull air in around the sides of the case as in the picture IT guy quoted. I was a little unsure when I first saw it, but actually it works well. Lets see if I can get a picture of what I mean.

Edit: here you go, sorry everyone else: these aren't exciting images

Here you can see how the plastic "door" fan cover has no real vent slots, but it sits quite far from the actual filter.

Just a quick one to show depth comparison, showing the door would sit flush on the DVD drive..

.. But you can see here the depth of the front as the DVD drive is out quite far, giving you a decent amount of ventilation down the sides.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Laptop CPUs are generally soldered on.

I don't know how common this is, but most laptops I've ever dealt with have socketed CPUs, and the ZIF socket uses a flat-headed screwdriver in a slot that turns to shift and lock in place.

Toshiba, Acer, but mainly Dell, in the last several years or so that I've looked at. My first IT job was testing laptop boards (Toshiba Satellite Pro, in 2001).

I have seen them soldered, such as in the ASUS eeePC 1000H, where the Atom is soldered on, if I recall correctly. But mostly socketed.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 17, 2012

• Locked thread