Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anal Trauma
May 10, 2006

ATM MUTHAFUCKA!
I have a question in regards to new PC builds. Due to the craptastic ways of UPS I have all of the parts I need to build my new gaming rig; however, my case will not be here till Tuesday. I am wondering if anyone has any experience building a PC outside of a case?

I know many people do all the initial testing outside of the case, usually on top of the mobo's box, with no problems. I am thinking about taking this a step further and getting most everything put together, installing Windows 7, drivers, applications, etc. and basically bringing the machine to the point of being ready.

I was going to see if I had any spare mobo mounts and use those to stand off my the mobo from the box. I am not going to put the anti-static bag under it because , to my knowledge, it is more conductive than the box itself. I was then going to set the HDD on it's box and DVD-Rom on the table (card table), install the CPU/Heatsink, graphics card, etc. and then go through the whole install phase like normal. Main concerns here are making sure nothing spills or touches it, keeping the table from shaking, and not shorting anything out. I do have a can of compressed air to blow off the dust that will collect on it during this time while it is out in the open.

Does anyone have objections/opinions to this? Should I just hold off and stop being an antsy goon? Furthermore, if I do go through with this do you think it wise to try gaming on this before I move it over to the case? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread