Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is one for sale in Philadelphia near me, in that exact color combination. It's very tempting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nitrox posted:

There is one for sale in Philadelphia near me, in that exact color combination. It's very tempting

That’s probably mine haha. If you’re seriously interested message me on FB!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

That blue seems like it should be too light, but it's not, it's perfect :swoon:

Someone almost had a very bad time in the mountains recently

It's only on Instagram (ew) and I don't do Instagram but here is the video, maybe it will play for you and not be rotated vertically like it is for me :iiam:
https://www.instagram.com/montyclip/reel/C3_FFkhScwm/

I know that corner well, it's on the 88 to Tortilla Flat in Arizona outside Phoenix, and I've done that road like 100 times at this point. It's downhill (uphill if you're going the way the camera bike is), blind, and sneaks up on you if you don't know what you're doing. The potential for situations like these are why I always take it hugging the outside and at a speed like I'm taking my grandma to church.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks like the red bike hit the white car first, and then just continued sliding with both tires locked up. At least he kept it up right. Could have been a whole lot bloodier

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

The runoffs are into rocks and scrub brush too, some of them over a drop, so that was some luck. Also if it had been a truck instead of the GSXR in the other lane, he'd be part of the grill now.

Here's the spot on google maps
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.518736,-111.4527011,3a,75y,72.54h,80.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssc9XXYe1aLiMoYvrgxSD1w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

boy i sure do miss that ride to tortilla flats.

I lived in phoenix for 5 years and that spot was a regular for me. would leave work early on a weekday afternoon and have the entire road to myself. often times i might see one or two other vehicles.

its really serene out there past the town where it gets even more desolate.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

It's a fantastic road, was resurfaced in the last few years too and it's so smooth now. They even resurfaced it out past the town until that lookout spot where the paved road ends. It is so quiet out there still, plus the roads are usually wide open.

Someday I will have a dirt capable bike and keep going out that way past the pavement, it looks like a pretty tame dirt road, cars seem to take it a lot.

Weekends are a clusterfuck during the nice weather season, I stay away unless I can get up early enough to go out and back before the traffic piles up. Early morning summers are a good bet too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just be careful out there in AZ.

quote:

Corvette driver was going 155 mph before hitting, killing motorcyclist

The crash happened at around 11 p.m. on March 12 on the U.S. 60 near Dobson Road. According to court documents, Rachel Berg, 18, was driving 155 mph when she hit 46-year-old Michael Clark's motorcycle.

Following the crash, the Arizona Department of Public Safety said Berg pulled over to check on Clark and attempted CPR. Clark was pronounced dead at the scene.

"The female driver told DPS investigators she saw a motorcyclist in the HOV lane just ahead of her. She attempted to stop but rear-ended the motorcycle," DPS said. "The motorcyclist went off left, struck the concrete wall and fell off the motorcycle. Both the rider and the motorcycle came to rest in the HOV lane. The motorcyclist succumbed to his injuries."

"On Wednesday, March 13, 2024, a warrant was served on the Corvette to download the airbag control module," court documents read. "The module indicated a speed of 155 miles per hour five seconds before the collision and 87 miles per hour at the time of the collision."

Berg was arrested and booked into jail. She is accused of manslaughter and is being held on a $150,000 bond.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/corvette-driver-was-going-155-mph-before-hitting-killing-motorcyclist-court-documents

loving scottsdale. ban cars, ban teenagers

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Of course it was Scottsdale. Scottsdale was where I saw someone passing everyone in a car on the left shoulder of the freeway doing at least 120 while I was just cruising along about 80. I have a video of it because I'm weird and save everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGG55cliXso

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

:sigh:

Another reason to never go to Phoenix

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:hmmyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am morbidly curious about how well that would work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Must be a ton of room in the sprocket cover.

Or, a perfectly machined bolt-sized groove in it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That bike hasn't got a sprocket cover don't kid yourself

I like how it's visibly a new chain with a brand new clip master right there so they clearly made an expensive mistake and weren't discouraged

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Haha like on a track bicycle

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Slavvy posted:

That bike hasn't got a sprocket cover don't kid yourself

I like how it's visibly a new chain with a brand new clip master right there so they clearly made an expensive mistake and weren't discouraged

Oh wow it's right there isn't it. Like somebody constructing a complex door barricade when there's an open window right next to it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My kid Bought this thing today.

The SV he was hoping to buy sold out from under him last night. We found this instead, closer. 2009 ER6N with 6600 miles. And the original tires lol

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

My kid Bought this thing today.

The SV he was hoping to buy sold out from under him last night. We found this instead, closer. 2009 ER6N with 6600 miles. And the original tires lol

drat. Grats to your kid and all, but that's the very definition of a consolation prize.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all bikes are good bikes

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

And the original tires lol

Yikes I hope you're planning on remedying that.

Can't count the number of times I've gone to look at a bike with "great tires" and it turns out sure they have tread left but are also rock hard and 10-15 years old.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

opengl posted:

Yikes I hope you're planning on remedying that.

Can't count the number of times I've gone to look at a bike with "great tires" and it turns out sure they have tread left but are also rock hard and 10-15 years old.

Yeah this is getting fixed tomorrow hopefully, depending on what the local guy has in stock.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

old tires are kind of great in that you can assume the seller never road it or if they did. didn’t ride it very hard.

all other wear items will be in tip too shape due lack of use or abuse.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The guy we bought it from was ~50 and not really that comfortable on street bikes. He bought this bike in 2013 and has put ~3000 miles on it since then. Said he rode it to work a couple days/week each summer and had it on a tender the other times, in his garage. Said he never rode in rain and it looks like it.
We did an oil change today and flushed the brakes.
The oil looked brand new. The brake fluid did not look brand new lol. Pretty dark. Pads are good, wheel bearings are good.
Getting tires tomorrow. We did ride about 100 miles together today, despite the ancient tires. They held up ok.
I rode the bike for a bit and was impressed. It felt much sportier and faster than my VStrom, despite similar weight and power. Ptwin vs Vtwin though

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Is the ER6n one of the p-twins with a 270-degree crankshaft?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I thought they were 180°

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's 180.

I had a 2009 ER6F for 10 years and it was rock solid and reliable. A new battery, a set of spark plugs and a set of tires was all I needed to do to it outside of replacing fluids.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slide Hammer posted:

Is the ER6n one of the p-twins with a 270-degree crankshaft?

Which number is the good p-twin number? I never remember

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

270s vibrate less and are generally better, but 270 twins didn't really become a common thing until the mid 2010s for manufacturing reasons.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Which number is the good p-twin number? I never remember

180 is the only truly bad p-twin number

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hopefully by Wednesday the old tires will be off the bike. New Smart roads 3 ordered from my local tire guy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

180 is the only truly bad p-twin number

360 :britain:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That's just a thumper with extra steps, that you can make really big.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The good p-twin number is 0 :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm partial to my DRZ with exactly half of a p-twin.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Buddy, a drz in any flavor has way more character than a ptwin.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

DRZ-win

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Goonspeed poor mirror. I hope you enjoy your new home, whereever you may be :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let's see everyone's eclipse ride pics!

Me and a friend just kind of chilled out on a service road for an hour and it was amazing.

I thought the pic would be better but tbh I spent most of my time actually observing the rare event rather than documenting it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 9, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Very cool picture!!
I saw the 2018 totality and it was very eerie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mine………didn’t work out.

As a consolation here’s a picture of my cat that I technically took during the eclipse