Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Some things are worse than rat bikes. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Saga posted:

Yeah . . . that 80's hair is inexcusable!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Saga posted:

Put a god drat helmet on!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ola posted:

Post politics cleverly disguised as cycle pictures.

You win. I surrender, please for the love of god take anything you want JUST MAKE IT STOP :gonk:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Boru posted:

Ayup. From my favorite site to be horrified/amazed by: http://www.ratbike.org/

I . . . just can't look away . . . :staredog:

Yeah, that's a '46 Indian Chief. It's like playing a tragic, rusty game of I-Spy, trying to spot things on this bike. Can you find the toy plane, anti-gremlin bell, the hair comb, AND the vintage oil can? :v:

I wouldn't put any money or effort into buying one, but if it showed up in front of my house with an already-filled-out bill of sale, I'd spend a week with bolt cutters de-crapifying it.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You win. I surrender, please for the love of god take anything you want JUST MAKE IT STOP :gonk:
How about a palate cleanser? I know there are deep divisions of "cafe" style in CA, but hopefully we can all agree the Ducati Sport 1000 is pretty drat slick:

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I spoke with a guy who had owned one for maybe two weeks - the Ducati dealer had actually tried to outbid him to buy it from the owner - and all he could talk about was how uncomfortable a ride it was haha :(

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Schlieren posted:

I spoke with a guy who had owned one for maybe two weeks - the Ducati dealer had actually tried to outbid him to buy it from the owner - and all he could talk about was how uncomfortable a ride it was haha :(
Small price to pay for looking cool . . . ? V:shobon:V

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Put a god drat helmet on!

Not sure the Philippines required helmets for trikes in 1984. They probably had a law against lameness, although then again Imelda Marcos.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boru posted:

How about a palate cleanser? I know there are deep divisions of "cafe" style in CA, but hopefully we can all agree the Ducati Sport 1000 is pretty drat slick:

I don't care how you feel about "cafe" bikes, the duc classic is awesome.
Also, this is very tastefully done:

It's probably a little heavy on the pricetag since the reserve isn't even met at $5600
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-CB-750-F2-SUPERSPORT-CAFE-RACER-Resto-Mod-/160809856865?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item257103af61#v4-43

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Reserve prices are honestly like the dumbest loving thing ever on eBay. What's the point?

I'm going to sell you this item, but I'm not going to tell you how much I want, you just have to guess over and over and waste time until you get to the point that you aren't willing to pay any more, then the auction ends and everyone loses because the dumbass seller wanted $10,000 for a 20 year old motorcycle in poo poo condition.

Sorry, I just hate many eBay sellers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

hayden. posted:

Reserve prices are honestly like the dumbest loving thing ever on eBay. What's the point?

I'm going to sell you this item, but I'm not going to tell you how much I want, you just have to guess over and over and waste time until you get to the point that you aren't willing to pay any more, then the auction ends and everyone loses because the dumbass seller wanted $10,000 for a 20 year old motorcycle in poo poo condition.

A lot of ebay sellers disclose the reserve.
It's a great thing if you're not trying to get ripped off as the seller.

Plus you still have the option to sell below reserve don't you?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Or you could just start the bidding at your minimum price. If it's worth it to someone, they'll bid. If not, lower it and try again. If you want to sell something, don't put the screws to potential buyers.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

I think what makes this work is that it is very, very clean, and it looks like it would haul TREMENDOUS amounts of rear end. Whoever built it also decided to give it a modern flair, instead of just sticking to the mandatory "retro" look.

I like how his "buy-it-now" price is $7200- and you KNOW that the reserve is probably something like $7000. :rolleyes:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boru posted:

I think what makes this work is that it is very, very clean, and it looks like it would haul TREMENDOUS amounts of rear end. Whoever built it also decided to give it a modern flair, instead of just sticking to the mandatory "retro" look.

I like how his "buy-it-now" price is $7200- and you KNOW that the reserve is probably something like $7000. :rolleyes:

Considering he already had one bike featured in "Cafe Racer" (I don't believe it has won BOTM on SOHC though) I'm not surprised that it's done well.

I especially appreciate the 80's GSXR wheels and front end swap.

As for "hauls rear end"... I'm not so sure. I'll have to do some digging to find engine mods. Also I think that points cover is one of the 1st gen ones that melts after a while. Just a heads up.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I especially appreciate the 80's GSXR wheels and front end swap.

As for "hauls rear end"... I'm not so sure. I'll have to do some digging to find engine mods. Also I think that points cover is one of the 1st gen ones that melts after a while. Just a heads up.
Well it *looks* fast, and isn't that what counts? :colbert:

I really dig the rims too, it lends a nice modern sport look to it. I could never afford something like this right now, even though it is fun oogling it for inspiration. I mean hell, my first ride I'm trying to get up and running is a '85 Ninja whose electrics are held together with electrical and duct tape (see build thread :iamafag:).

I think that's why the rat/streetfighter mods do it for me: it's making a style out of being too drat poor to have a nice, shiny, restored bike. Maybe one day I won't be so broke, but until then I will claim that I have an intentional rat/streetfighter. :allears:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boru posted:

I think that's why the rat/streetfighter mods do it for me: it's making a style out of being too drat poor to have a nice, shiny, restored bike. Maybe one day I won't be so broke, but until then I will claim that I have an intentional rat/streetfighter. :allears:

Or being too drat broke because you dumped $5000 into the motor and have nothing leftover to make it pretty.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Or being too drat broke because you dumped $5000 into the motor and have nothing leftover to make it pretty.
Dumping $5000 on just about anything isn't a problem I really have (see: being broke), but the quoted situation seems like a perfectly reasonable "street-fighter situation" to me! :v: After all the engine is what matters, fairing is just pretty bits! Or ugly bits if you glue random crap on to rat your bike. :rolleyes:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Boru posted:

The SC1000 Limited edition with the black and gold painjob is hands down on eof hte best looking motorcycles I've ever seen. I usually watch this video at least once every morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r964REtgiM

Uncomfortable ah hell though, thats why I got myself a GT1000 most of the style and tons more comfort :)

Instagram incoming,

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Factory cafe style done perfectly. The End.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

HNasty posted:

The SC1000 Limited edition with the black and gold painjob is hands down on eof hte best looking motorcycles I've ever seen. I usually watch this video at least once every morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r964REtgiM
That exhaust . . . :fap:

Linedance posted:

:aaa:

:flashfap:

My God that's beautiful. Moto Guzzi, right? It agrees with me aesthetically on every level.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Linedance posted:

Ya I agree that's just perfect as far as looks go, but what kills it for me is the performance figures. The Duc sportclassics are within 80% of a real sport bike and that makes then fun to ride and fun to look at.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HNasty posted:

Ya I agree that's just perfect as far as looks go, but what kills it for me is the performance figures. The Duc sportclassics are within 80% of a real sport bike and that makes then fun to ride and fun to look at.

The idea that you need 80% of "real sport bike" for it to be fun to ride and fun to look at is, to me, preposterous.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

HNasty posted:

Yeah the v7 classic range sucks for people who do spec sheet racing instead of actually going out and riding it.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Bloody Queef posted:

Yeah the v7 classic range sucks for people who do spec sheet racing instead of actually going out and riding it.

Ya totally bro having a 130 section on the back of modern road bike doesn't limit how fast you can go on it or how much fun it will be. Also bikes that are basically the same as a bike from the 70s are every bit as good and as fun to ride as a modern bike. I was wrong, I take it back. I mean look at harleys they don't have the specs or the modern tech and are loved by everyone around here.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

HNasty posted:

Ya totally bro having a 130 section on the back of modern road bike doesn't limit how fast you can go on it or how much fun it will be. Also bikes that are basically the same as a bike from the 70s are every bit as good and as fun to ride as a modern bike. I was wrong, I take it back. I mean look at harleys they don't have the specs or the modern tech and are loved by everyone around here.

I think we can still be friends :3:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HNasty posted:

I mean look at harleys they don't have the specs or the modern tech and are loved by everyone around here.

We have a lot of hyper-judgmental, close minded folks around here who seem thrilled to spend more time categorizing bikes they don't like than appreciating them for what they are.

Oh... hi there.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

We have a lot of hyper-judgmental, close minded folks around here who seem thrilled to spend more time categorizing bikes they don't like than appreciating them for what they are.

Oh... hi there.

Ya because me stating my preference in bikes totally justifies people accusing me of spec sheet racing, not riding and finding my ideas preposterous. Oh I forgot, it also makes me a closed minded judgmental rear end in a top hat.

HNasty fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 31, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's not that we don't respect your opinion, you're just being a cock about it.

ReggieCelsius
Feb 1, 2007

snortsly

HNasty posted:

I mean look at harleys they don't have the specs or the modern tech and are loved by everyone around here.

you didn't go there. He said the h word in vein :wth:

ReggieCelsius fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 31, 2012

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Ola posted:

It's not that we don't respect your opinion, you're just being a cock about it.

Hnasty posted:

I apologize.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

HNasty posted:

I have a cool expensive pretty Harley but after test riding the Panigale all I can think about is O.K. so how do I get on that bike again.

Which I'm well-aware is trading one douchey brand with another but um, that bike really was fantastic

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Schlieren posted:

I have a cool expensive pretty Harley but after test riding the Panigale all I can think about is O.K. so how do I get on that bike again.

Which I'm well-aware is trading one douchey brand with another but um, that bike really was fantastic

I haven't owned a Supersport since like 2007 but the Panigale gives me boners you could smash diamonds with. Maybe I'll get a Multistrada and make believe, would be easier on my body.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

HNasty posted:

I haven't owned a Supersport since like 2007 but the Panigale gives me boners you could smash diamonds with. Maybe I'll get a Multistrada and make believe, would be easier on my body.

And your retirement fund.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaNChEzZ posted:

You don't need a retirement fund with a Panigale :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

well gently caress... I have both those things.
xs650 motor and BMX.
Looks like I have a new project.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

SaNChEzZ posted:

It costs as much as an Accord :confused:

I mean I have no conception of when I'd ever even have enough money such that buying a brand new Accord would be even a remote possibility, but not everyone is so poor that a $23K motorcycle is that big of a deal

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My engineering knowledge makes me think this is a terrible idea because the builder probably didn't think about if the frame is strong enough for the added engine weight.

That makes it even more awesome.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

hayden. posted:

I'm taking a pass on the zero sum rock 'em sock 'em robots Harley chatter this time, but I can shed a bit of light on this.

Sellers don't start out near their asking price for higher ticket bikes simply because insertion fees increase to $125, and this doesn't count the 11% cut of the final price, assuming the sale is ever completed. There is a network of shills operated by competitors regardless of what you're selling, but especially in the vehicle market. These people aren't vetted by ebay in the least--how many times would you advance $125 into a black hole for two weeks waiting for the dispute process to play out, especially when this process is arbitrated by AI bots running in a Silicon Valley server farm? Really the only defense against this practice is the reserve auction and stomping on bids by users named cyclops11244343431. The available filters serve no practical purpose whatsoever, given how readily new IDs can be created.

I do agree with you though, there are a lot of sellers that don't understand the purpose and think they're selling Dali etchings at Sotheby's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Schlieren posted:

What did you like about it, and what other bikes could you compare or contrast it with?