Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Im going to chime in here on the HIDs.

Very useful modification for night riders.
They output five times the light of a halogen, while consuming less current.

I've got twin PIAA 510s halogen spotlights as well as a twin headlight HID setup.
You can't say these are just for wankers / show offs.
They are a practical mod for riding at night.

I require as much light output as i can get for the high speed offroad riding i do at night, as well as night road riding on country roads that have many critters lurking.
Not to mention they look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Extremely hard is an understatement. In 4 years of trolling craigslist, assorted local sites, etc. etc, I have seen one available in california that was street legal. I've seen a few more track only ones.

Awesomely badass bike though.

Sorry i have to disagree on the CBR250s.
About the only badass thing about a CBR250 is they sound like a horde of bees coming to attack.
They have no torque, they rev to the moon, their heavy, they are expensive for what they are, and have full fairings which is what you don't want on a learner bike.

Having said that, the best learner bike is a Supermoto, thats if you're tall enough.
Failing that, a GS500. No fairing poo poo, its got abit of torque. Fuel economical.

Moving along...

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
A few mates and myself, and the joy that is motorcycling.

moi :(

and moi... always get myself into these situations!

Just how did i crash here...

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
More

BTW, guy standing there in 1st pic is me in a dazed state. I only crashed about 2 minutes ago at about 80mph
hit a sand wash that sent me into an uncontrollable tankslapper. Wish i had a steering dampener then.

What the Hyosung looks like now...

Jharkov fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 15, 2008

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Thats compression braking & the back lifting on the brakes.
There is little risk of highsiding because you still have traction, but the force of the engine braking is allowing it to spin slower than the front wheel so it steps out.
If you just stepped on the rear brake at that speed, you would no doubt highside.

Or if you accelerated too hard on corner exit, you would also highside. Its abrupt loss and regain of traction that causes high side.

All you need to do to back in is to come into a corner real hot, get on those brakes to get the back end light, shift down 2-3 gears, feed the clutch and lean into the corner, all at sort of the same time.

IMO, the guys in the SM video have more balls than the guys riding on the track at 200+kmh

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
The trick is to get into a higher gear just as you're coming up to balance point. Whack the throttle in 1st, as it approaches balance pt, clutchless shift it up to 2nd and then its just throttle control.. its too touchy to wheelie in 1st thats for sure.
Or just clutch it up in 2nd.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Balls or stupidity, yeah. It takes a special kind of stupid to ride like that on the street, the same sort that usually ends with someone plastered all over the front of a car. There's very little skill involved in most of what they do anyways, just the willingness to take chances and pass like a moron on blind corners and some experience on those roads.

Not to say I don't enjoy watching it, I just hope that when they wad it they go off a cliff rather than into someone's car.

Interesting.
While it is stupidity, the skill they showed was on par with what the supersports were doing on the track. The guy in front showed great control especially on one wheel, he was able to steer it back into his lane.
He was also backing it in on most corners. My guess is they are greek. Only a greek would ride like that and squid at the same time.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
lol @ all the fallen pretty bikes.
A workmate's bike was reversed into yesterday while it was parked.
its a dual sport DR650.

No more than $200 in damage.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Went for a 13 hour ride on sunday on my new 950SE.
Love this thing.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/vashdrz400/12-10-08/eb1916cf.jpg

It flys on these sort of roads.
Overtook a BMW 1200GS mid corner, sideways. Just love showing those Beemers how its done :D

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 16, 2008

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Slim Pickens posted:

The fucktard can't even inflate his loving tires correctly! :mad:
The parking garage was for a gym in downtown Seattle, and I park there almost every time I'm downtown, so I'm sure it wasn't just long term. It pisses me off to see such a nice bike abused like that. I bet the rear end in a top hat's a complete squid, too.

lol.
Hey, you know flats can be gradual and when you park the bike, it might happen without the owner knowing?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Me at Stockton beach

Tell ya what, sand is treacherous on such a big bike. Takes some practice, guy on the 400 was having it easy :-)

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Silver posted:

How tall are you that you can flat foot a 950 enduro?

im 6 ft. i got long legs though

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Dubs posted:

Stockton as in Newcastle?

You got it.
North of Newcastle, near Hexham.
Not a bad spot, i rode up from Sydney.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Guy doesn't know how to jump for poo poo

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Jack the Smack posted:

Well, I assume everyone reading this has seen the ending to the Myspace video.

That exact wipeout the guy did in the parking lot happened to this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

Good racing bike, bad parking bike.

that'll be what happens on brand new tyres that are cold.
Happened to me, but the front tyre let go in a corner and i barely leaned it over.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
A video of me from boxing day ride at Stockton sand dunes again

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/vashdrz400/Stockton/?action=view&current=MVI_0563.flv

flipping the bike. Could have saved it but then i dont use the rear brake enough...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/vashdrz400/Stockton/1e53fd9a.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 31, 2008

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Video of the ride i went on the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgF52wjImWQ

Im riding one of the XR650Rs with the blue jersey. Very difficult going with a bike of its size, and i was running a dual sport tyre :-(

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Few rides over the years.

my mate on a buell.

Crossing a river that was chest deep. we devised a way to cross.

Mud hole was nasty. 100HP on the limiter, with two guys pushing behind :D

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
back in 2007, took the roadies on the beach.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
This is one for the dirt riders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oywg57u4H1o

2:01 is just incredible. Im still practicing stoppies, but the balance ones just freak me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

The glory of the dual sport platform.