Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Late posting here because I wanted to point out that these linkages look so ridiculous because this bike was designed before cables as we know them were invented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As a carb wizard I have added it to my watch later list and will report back
As a carb wizard I started watching the video and stopped because he is examining a very low energy carb from a very low energy machine which doesn't even have a slide, much less a CV or an air cut valve or an accelerator pump or a power jet. Not a legitimate carburetor. Sad!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

yummycheese posted:

the ethanol gas does seem to go bad if left in a carb more than a year or so.
I've seen it cause problems in very small engines with very small carb jets (50cc scooters) in around 6 months.

It's theoretically not that big a deal but we get a lot of revenue at the shop every spring/summer dealing with it. It does take SOME effort to drain a carb or fill up with non-ethanol in the fall so quite a lot of people don't.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Steakandchips posted:

I just ride it daily.
This is the solution to a lot of bike problems. Ride it more, loser.

Also worth mentioning though that there is a lot of overhyped anti-ethanol propaganda out there which says it'll ruin any old machine you put it in, destroy the o-rings and rubber lines, change the fuel mixture, etc. Almost all of this is BS. A pretty good bit of evidence here, when the Cannonball goes coast to coast every couple years with 100+ bikes entered all of which are 90+ years old, every single one of them is using pump gas from local stations across the country. Nobody is bringing their own gas. And nobody has issues because of it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda badass? What material is that he used? If that's actual sheet metal and actual rivets, that's pretty awesome I think. Some effort went into that. Assuming it's not just cardboard glued onto the original plastics.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I wonder what motor that motor is based on? Most of yamaha's v-twins are not admirable designs

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We've got a new Niu in the shop right now which didn't do that for me as far as I remember when test riding. Different model though. But I have to say, a lot of scooters are prone to that, they're not designed with the expectation that you're riding with your hands off the bars. I was riding a Vespa GT250 the other day which did exactly that with hands off bars. Went away as soon as I grabbed the bars very lightly.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don't think it's necessarily that big a deal, little bumps like that happen, nobody got knocked out of the race or hurt. But it looked rude as gently caress, and the driver (de Villiers) is a veteran who you'd think might know better. He didn't even get out to check on the rider he nearly ran over, but also the rider did get up and wave him on.

https://streamable.com/czuvpf

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Quads are filthy and criminal, friend, they are no laughing matter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Found in a chassis design book. Countersteering, motherfuckers

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Some time over the summer I damaged or spilled some poo poo on whatever I was wearing at the shop, so I grabbed a new t-shirt from the rack of t-shirts that nobody bought for years. Ended up with this one and decided that it's now actually the coolest t-shirt I own. I feel pity for anyone who wears t-shirts with pictures of mere motorcycles on it. Only totally cool cooldudes would wear this shirt.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Once worked on one of these that was set up as a pickup truck. It had a roof and windscreen (with a wiper) and a tiny little tilting flat bed you could put things both into and onto.

Was devastatingly slow though even for a fifty.
I worked on a Tomos trike with an ice cream vendor freezer on the back, it topped out at about 12

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah bizarrely, even though Harleys have no lean angle, he didn't max out the lean angle

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think that actually is an MP3? Or a copy thereof? I know there are some copies made. I think he thought he had the tilt lock engaged, which would let you do that

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Having worked on a few of those I'm frankly surprised it can pull that much weight. I bet the final drive exploded right after the end of the video

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

FBS posted:

I've never looked at a motorcycle head IRL but two valves and that giant lip of metal where the combustion chamber should be suggests to me it must be a Harley motor.
The compounded indignity of losing one's motor to an imperial fastener

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Man I can't get over the layout of everything there. Having raced on several purpose built road courses it looks absolutely suicidal to me to allow dozens of people to stand around on the outside of a high high speed turn like that with no barriers. I'm sure it looks like no big deal if you see hundreds of bikes zoom past with no incident for a week, but all you need is one rabbit running across the street at the wrong time (which has happened) and that bike is cartwheeling into the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Once again an example of the ancient tale of Yamaha handling and Honda horsepower. Yamaha being the only moral and honorable Japanese brand builds their bikes to steer and brake with finesse and stability, whereas Honda the robber baron big oil capitalist frauds throw thoughtless millions of dollars into maximizing intake air flow in a 200rpm power band. Disgusting.