Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is that a see-through timing cover? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Revvik posted:

Well, show me one application of those bars that actually looks good. I feel like they ruin every bike they’re on.

Much like their riders

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
All of these things only matter for riding the thing

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's hot

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I found this in my FB feed today.

So this guy took an MZ250 (East-German) and stuffed this 1100cc 2-stroke engine in there, originally intended for pumping water on a fire truck.
Apparently it's the largest 2-stroke engine in a motorcycle, or so he claims. The numbers are kind of poo poo.
East Germans love their MZ and Simson bikes

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Air-cooled crew on a cooler, foggy Portland morning.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Weather was nice, put some miles on the VStrom, got a fish sandwich and a beer.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 23, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Mister Speaker posted:

knock a whole thousand dollars off my asking price

What a steal!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:hmmyes:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hmmm well I have bought six bikes in the past two years and I've sold only one. (A 1994 Yamaha DT100 that my youngest grew out of)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Jeep is actually an aggressively good example of what Slavy was saying. I had a Wrangler with Auto Start/Stop, which requires a small auxiliary battery in addition to the main 12V battery. After three years of trouble-free service, it gave out with very little warning. A few slow starts, then a Christmas tree of lights that urged me to pull over ASAP. I lost all power steering and was lucky enough to make it to the driveway of the house we had just sold - over 260 miles away from our current home :(.
The 36 month warranty period hadn't expired, but the 36000 mile limit was exceeded by 4k miles.
I had to rent a loving minivan from the airport to drive my family back home. That Jeep sat in the shop for six weeks before it finally got fixed. Out of warranty, but the dealer covered it themselves I guess. We paid only for the small battery.
But get this: the failure of that battery caused the failure of some main breaker distribution board and the entire stereo/AC control unit had to be reset by a tech with the right software. I could not have fixed this on my own.
Further, we had taken that Jeep on some very serious trails here in the Pacific Northwest that are terribly far from any paved roads, and paved roads don't necessarily mean civilization with towing - that could still be another 100 miles out. Had this happened out there (instead of my driveway) we would have been hosed, possibly dangerously so. At this point, I already didn't trust this vehicle for any more off-road drives.

This was all due to the failure of a small, auxiliary 12V battery. What the gently caress, Jeep.

A few months after that, again Christmas lights on the dash and an audible vacuum leak after driving around on a beach. After a bit of troubleshooting I discovered that the brakebooster was missing one of four nuts mounting it by studs to the firewall. It looked like it hadn't just come off - the threads were factory clean with some paint still on them. It certainly looked like that fourth nut had never been installed and now, 44k miles later, the booster finally broke the seal to the firewall.
I managed to find a nut that fit in my dirtbike tools I had with me. However, I tightened it up only to the point that I could no longer hear the vacuum leak on a very noisy loving beach with a lot of 2T Banshees and Blasters revving to the moon.
On my drive home, the vehicle again lost all power steering (while driving down a curvy highway pulling my dirtbike trailer, very cool!). I made it home and looked into it some more. The vacuum leak caused a bunch of error codes and one of them forces a safety shutdown of the power steering, auto-start stop system, and ABS.
Once I tightened that nut up as much as I could, this all went away.

At that point, we had enough. Cleaned it up and traded it at the height of the used car prices for a nearly new 2022 Subaru. gently caress Jeep. A whole bunch of bad design decisions, coupled with bad craftsmanship and outright dangerous "features".

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Something I saw in a FB group

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The rider also turns his head to the other side right before he hits. Maybe that explains why he didn't see that coming.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
MZ and Simson would like a word

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Probably for a portable grill.
It might be repurposed for compressed air storage to operate lockers and tire inflator, but those are usually dedicated tanks under the hood or the frame.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
"You are wrecking the car"

"Shut up"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Amazing posts, thank you

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:allears:. Thanks

So how do the fueling logistics work for this? Is that brought from camp to camp with a big truck?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I ride dunes occasionally. Top of the dunes or right behind them is the worst/ least safe place to hang out.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

T Zero posted:

Why do people dislike the sxs so much?

Also the trucks should have to haul furniture and however much remains intact at the end of the stage should factor into their score.

From what I've seen, SxS vehicles make it easy to ride tough off-road and dune environments, without the exact skills required to operate other vehicles in those environments. They are also very loving expensive - not just on their own but also in accessories like a tow vehicle and probably a toy hauler.
It attracts more people to spots already perceived as crowded.

Combine all those factors and it's easy to see why they're hated. It's the newest and most expensive group on the block.

IME, SxS enthusiasts usually break down in families having a good time, and loud MAGA chuds with huge, insufferable flags.

Also, from a very personal perspective, it loving SUCKS to ride down a one way trail on a dirt bike and have a full sized 4 door SxS fling around the corner straight at you, operated by drunk morons.
I forgot to mention, SxS vehicles do make drinking and driving much easier too, apparently.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Interesting, the vast majority of sxs I see are doing some kind of actual job that can't be as efficiently done by a quad or a car

I guess not being allowed to drive them on the road here limits their recreational use

Right, those are farm vehicles like the Gator and such. I should clarify that I was posting mostly about the non-utility kind of SxS

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I found this MZ from 1965 with a goddamn rotary

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I see that Monkey owners are catching up to Grom owners quickly

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 6, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

I see that Monkey owners are catching up to Grom owners quickly

Look at this

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

Ah, yes. The Grom Touringv Wheelie Ballast Package.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jazzzzz posted:

that tour pak probably cost weighs more than the grom

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:allears:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Only $1200 bucks!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://youtube.com/shorts/6gwri1NsDdM?feature=share

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Good job strapping that helmet

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There are very few instances in those videos where a rider genuinely gets their poo poo pushed in out of nowhere with no fault of their own.
Usually an American or Russian intersection, a Chinese garbage truck, or some random environmental poo poo

The other 99%? Horrible morons that have me cringing way before they inevitably crash. I do not understand how people can get on a motorcycle and not treat it with the respect its operation probably demands. Why?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is there a new No prisoners!!! Yet? Seems he stopped in mid 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That was Austin Powers level bad

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Weather was pretty nice yesterday so I took the Monkey to chow on a burg and check out a nearby mountain road. Snow everywhere!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Are you an ADV dad or are you moving

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
If it's an oscope, it belongs in a museum. It may be something more specialized. I'm intrigued by the heavy duty belt and shoulder loops apparently attached to it, making it into a backpack.
Couple of options:
1. Dumb hipster backpack lunchbox or something*
2. ???

*Pls consider the state and design of the bike mods here

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Wikipedia posted:

Produced from 1954 to 1973

A museum :colbert:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What insanity would drive a cyclist to ride on the sidewalk?
That sounds like a nightmare. Cars suck but pedestrians are completely unpredictable and move every which way*. Use the road or a dedicated cycling path WTF

*Example from when I was riding regularly: a certain park I would cycle through on my way to work or school had a dedicated cycling path and a dedicated pedestrian path. Due to poor signage and people ignoring signs, pedestrians would be on the cycling path every day. I'd call out "on your left" or whatever and most of the time people would move to the wrong side, or the left person will jump right and the right person will jump left.

You're telling me cyclists put themselves into that situation on purpose?
Lol

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 6, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Imo the worst bike path offenders are people riding those weaving tricycle things. Can't go in a straight line, you literally have to weave about the entire width of the riding surface to propel yourself forward.

And they're very enthusiastic about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

bizwank posted:

Unobtrusive appearance

:hmmno: