Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Trick question: it's a double exposure and he appears twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hayden. posted:

GUESS WHAT BIKE THIS IS:

A semi-disassembled Gold Wing? I think I see the heads from a four cylinder model.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweet, my motorcycle-fu is gaining power.

(The big shiny fuel-tank-like-object under the seat, coupled with the mysteriously empty space where the tank normally is, helped)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maybe that's why the cop pulled him over.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How come everyone always tries to lift the bike from the bars (and never succeeds)? The way the MSF taught, at least where I took it, was to stand facing away from the bike on the upper side, squat down, reach underneath the seat behind your back, and lift with your legs.

I guess with the adrenaline of a crash anything goes, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not a single classic UJM or british bike. Or any BMW R-series. Tsk tsk :colbert:

I like that PSA. It looks like it has nothing to do with ABATE, also, which is just great because those people can just go to hell.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah. They sponsor a lot of those "motorcycles are everywhere! keep alert!" billboards, and driver's ed campaigns that aim to teach car drivers how to be more aware of motorcycles, which is great.

But then there's the anti-helmet stance, and then there's the drinking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One of my father's friends supposedly has one, but I've never actually seen it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is this

seriously the whole engine for that thing? And it carries three people, a big squishy driver's seat, and all that canopy stuff? Riding it must be...underwhelming.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It has always seemed to me that carving up a highly publicized and highly trafficked road where thousands of other people go every day to do the same thing is, well, lame. It's such a famous and popular stretch of road that there's at least one guy who makes his living doing nothing but taking photos of all the riders going by one after another. And some people apparently ride the same route every day, religiously. What's the appeal? Where's the adventure in all of that?

Maybe I just like the exploration aspect of riding/driving -- going places that I've never been before and discovering new things. Mulholland Highway just seems to me like the Disneyworld of motorcycling.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ice racers, you say?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xd posted:

He was using a heat gun

if you'd bothered to listen, he is clearly using a "hot pistol" :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looks like he's dropped the dumbbell on the tank a few times.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mark Hushman posted:

Bizarre.

Ugly fairing, or ugliest fairing?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

What do you do in a 2 wheeled, canopy-enclosed vehicle when you fall over in traffic? Die?

Well, if it's really fully enclosed, you probably just slide along with it inside and overall end up with fewer injuries.

This thing looks like you would have your torso and head inside and your legs outside along the edge of the bike, so you'd be trapped inside with the full weight of the bike sliding on the sides of your legs :gonk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

schreibs posted:

Here lets get angry at this instead:

I bet that photo alone, with no other evidence, would be enough to get that kid taken away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, but in a lot of the more conservative states it is. I walked into an antique dealer in Mesa once and the guy buying something at the counter had a revolver on each hip and a little baby Glock around his ankle. All exposed, so no permit required. He seemed a bit agitated. I stayed away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

invision posted:

I know it's undoubtedly from doing burnouts, but man would it be funny if that was the size of his chicken strips.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Generally cities are supposed to avoid using horizontal streetlights unless they're all horizontal, because they really mess with color-blind people.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, at least it comes off easily.

The weather forecast here finally says no more below-freezing days so all the bikes are out now! I saw eight Harley baggers, three Yamaha supersports and one interesting streetfighter of some sort. Except for one supersport (a woman) and the streetfighter (young guy), all the riders were middle-aged men.

Whee.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

An observer posted:

tablecloth

That's exactly what I thought, too. I don't really know what he's getting at with "gently caress your prius" though. Are they really worth that much hate? It's kind of like "gently caress your golf shoes" or "gently caress your pottery barn end table" or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here's a real winner of a Prius driver. Not all Prius drivers are this way! But some of them are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oSzLS0j9fY

I've always thought the best solution isn't petroleum, and it isn't battery-electric, but biofuel. You can convert a gasoline engine to run on ethanol and a diesel engine to run on...well, any oil pretty easily. Renewable liquid fuels keep the same fueling infrastructure, the same (or nearly) energy density, the same rapidity of refueling, the same range as we have today, but because they're biological they're sustainable and carbon-neutral. Plus, technologies like the direct-methanol fuel cell suggest that you could run a completely electric car on exactly the same renewable hydrocarbon, gaining the efficiency of an electric motor and the ability to sequester the CO2.

The only problem is of course MAKING the fuel in the first place, but I have confidence that we'll eventually figure out how to make cellulosic ethanol and lipid-producing microalgae and harvest all our fuel from a cordoned-off plot the size of Texas floating in the Pacific.

Aand that is my hippie boondoggle daydream for today.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gnaghi posted:

Isn't it hidden there behind the fork?

I thought it was a dual-disc but only the left side has a caliper.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boat posted:

Either way he's exceedingly lucky the bike didn't land on some part of his anatomy.

And the riders in the turn ahead are lucky that he didn't fire the bike right into one of them. Sure looked close on the last guy in the pack.

[e] uh, I meant the earlier video with the track rider front flip. That other one is pretty impressive though, I'll throw my money on "front tire burst". There's a little puff of light colored...something just as the front tire leaves the ground.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 23, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Unless you were into cafe racers in the 1960s, that doesn't count.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want to see the screen capture from about 500 milliseconds later.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That eagle is kind of a :regd09:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReggieCelsius posted:

motards, scooters, sportsbikes, sport tourers, trial bikes.. they all are practical for their specific uses. Harleys just seem to be all about the noise and image, reliability and performance seem to be unimportant.

Harley-Davidsons are practical for cruising long distances on American interstates. Some are only about the noise or the image, but you can say that about literally any sub-type of motorcycle. Do you wave at cruiser riders?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crayvex posted:

Whoa, wait a minute

Fkin posted:

Is that actually a drawing of this bike? Or is that "custom" somehow less unique than it seems? :psyduck:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can admire anything that's had a lot of talented work put into it, regardless of the ultimate effect. Like I said earlier -- that's not a bike I would choose to own, but clearly whoever made it put a lot of love into it (or paid someone else to do so).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^^^ if he highsides he just picks right up at 60mph and coasts his way to work

Other than the fork and the tiny fairing, is there any visible difference at all between those three new Nortons?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a roundel RIGHT THERE, ffs, and not a HONDA or wing in sight

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

To be honest, I kind of like the look of the Versys, but I've heard not very good things about it. My father's friend has one and I don't think he likes it very much. Is there anything especially undesirable about them?

I kinda like the sound of 180-degree cranks, too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Man, why is the Honda Powersports logo so much better than the Honda Auto one?

Cause they're a motorcycle company first and a car company second :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linedance posted:

Taillights? We don't need no stinkin' taillights!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Some people's pet peeve is exhaust wrap, some people hate vintage firestone balloon tires; I get sick of seeing "sweet cafe micro led lights vintage lQQk" that seem purposely designed to be as invisible as possible.

I guess it's a show bike, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Nevada just looked like crap to me. Like Arizona but less tasteful.

:thurman:

(I can't disagree with that assessment though)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

To be honest, an air-cooled V-twin would not be a terrible engine for a very lightweight plane, or as a power assist on a glider. I sure wouldn't want one with the props driven by an exposed chain like that, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the walkin dude posted:

A good while ago, someone posted the difference between riding I-4 SS's and v-twins. The I-4 was a slowly grinning Grinch gif and the v-twin was a gif of a guy being severely alarmed. Does anyone have that v-twin gif?

I love these comparisons. :3:

I can't locate it right now because I'm on my phone, but I know the GIF you're looking for. You should GIS "Italian Spiderman GIF"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aargh posted:

Not everyone gets down to a diet of lady gaga, bruno mars and whatever other garbage they can find on commercial radio. That being said that was some pretty horrible dubstep.

because the only possible options are lady gaga or dubstep amirite

Meat Loaf and nothing but :c00lbert: