Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Video from a couple years ago, but I just came across it. He got hosed up pretty bad.

The odds of the camera landing like it did, just dammmmnnn :stare:

Left turning vehicles are evil. I spend a maybe unhealthy amount of time watching crash videos, and always ride like everyone else is trying to homicide me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2pwX3N7q2Q&t=141s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Well, first track day was a mixed bag. Lowsided on the second lap of the second session. Too much lean going into one of the sharpest left hand corners, and snagged my foot peg taking my bike off into the dirt for a nap. The bike is scraped up but no major damage really, biggest thing was the left bar clipon snapped off. Clutch lever was completely fine other than a minor scratch at the end, glad I have short levers, pretty sure the stock one would have caught some road. The clutch pedal is bent to gently caress but still works. They had a mechanic onsite that was able to replace the clipon, and that was good enough to pass tech inspection and do another session then ride it back home from the track. I could have done more but my confidence was shot and I was even slower than to start with, which is really slow. I need a lot more practice, going to take a class next I think.

One of the coaches had seen what happened and sat me down then had me follow him for the last session. I didn't even know that was what had happened until he pointed it out. Too much lean is something I didn't think I would have had to worry about, I guess I had a bad combination of just enough confidence but not nearly enough skill. Very humbling.

I got it all on video at least, so I can share my dumbassery:
https://youtu.be/tfbziqhauDw
skip to https://youtu.be/tfbziqhauDw?t=38 about :38 seconds for just the crash.

Bunch o' pictures:

Last fully intact bike shot :( :

clip on took most of the damage:

Out of focus foot peg part that caught and pulled it down + bent clutch pedal:

The least of my worries, but to add some insult, swingarm spool and the mount for it sheared off completely. No more cheapo harbor freight rear stand for me for a while:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh drat yeah? It did seem like a weirdly clean break, but this is all new to me so I wasn't sure how common that is. Everything is stock 2017 model, other than the clutch and brake levers.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

Is the swingarm fine after that? It seems like it would be structurally weakened. Like I get there were threaded holes there but those don’t look like holes anymore.
I looked it over but I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, I need to have the whole thing checked out by someone. This evening I hosed it off, cleaned all the dirt out of the chain, and started taking off the fairings. I'm going to have to find my drill and drill out a couple of the bolts that were shaved down to get the rest of the fairing off.

I now have a Crashed Bike, after over 4 years of never dropping or having one go sideways on me. It's going to have that stigma in my mind no matter how well I get it fixed up.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

tjones posted:

Removing your peg feelers will give you more ground clearance next time you're trying to drag knee.
That's something I didn't even think of, I'm really very new to this and actually didn't know they were called that. Looking around online, looks like the intention is to give you some warning so you don't lean too far? I've never done anything to get that far over. Honestly didn't even notice them scraping, it all happened so fast I don't think I would have been able to save anyway, I was already committed and going faster than I should have been.

Body position is something I need a lot of work on, I didn't have my knee down much at all.

MomJeans420 posted:

Also I've only done one track day but once I had my off (can barely call it a crash), I was definitely slower the rest of the day. I think it's pretty hard to ignore it and keep on pushing, at least if you're somewhat risk adverse.
I'm pretty risk avoidant, it takes me a while to build up to stuff. That's why I want to take an advanced class next, just jumping into a track day, even in the beginner group, felt like a little too much too fast and I pushed myself more than I was comfortable with and ready for. That and trying to process all the new track information about flags and lines.

Photographer at the track didn't catch the crash, but got some great pictures before my day was cut short, I bought a couple of them:
(this was the same turn, but I think a lap before the crash)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Carth Dookie posted:

That's rad and I want to do a track day now.
Hell yeah. I'm definitely doing another at some point. Ouch, the bikecam really lets you see the poor clutch lever get beat up close and personal. Did anything else need fixing up afterward?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lejh9NRHb2E&t=260s at 4:20 (:420: ) I don't know much about MotoGP rules but I say if you're able to make that kind of save you should be allowed to cut right back into the race in the lead.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Stumbled on this, ended up watching it all in one sitting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg

Presentation about responding to road racing trauma from a guy who used to do it on a superbike, loaded with medical gear, at speed. Road racing :stare:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeah I think it was a presentation given to medical/pre-med students or something, there's a lot of medical terminology I had no idea about either but lots of good info still and very well presented. The guy sounds like he was a really cool dude :(

quote:

But you can see someone taped a straw bale to this stone wall so, that's fine. That's safe enough. That's legit.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

"used to before he died" would have been just belaboring the point, I mean it says R.I.P. right in the video title

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I don't know if yall still like cool motorcycle poo poo, but Guy Martin is gonna recreate the jump from The Great Escape.
I'll have to find a way to watch that, looks awesome.

I discovered Guy Martin through TT documentaries. Fascinating dude, I also struggle with his accent though as an American who usually just hears the less, regional? I guess, accents in movies and TV shows :911:

I don't know if it's partly because he seems to talk pretty fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihH5uDUaqRE&t=1022s

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

I find his videos to be obnoxious :shrug:

I’ve never seen that video of his crash, though, holy poo poo.
Yeah I heard about this but searching Youtube for it mostly returns people dunking on him, which is funny, but it's hard to find the actual crash. drat :stare: Glad he didn't die or get permanently injured, he's lucky, and should possibly take that as a sign to step down to a smaller bike or perhaps quit motorcycling forever. Did he ever say if he was recording during the crash?

Now this guy... (two guys actually, they revealed themselves as the Beavis and Butthead of motorcycling when they switched to their current style of Youtube clickbaity prattling brotalk vlogs some time after posting a bunch of mysterious videos of a BMW S1000RR tearing up a mountain road somewhere in Italy). This guy I'm amazed is still around, he really shouldn't be encouraged but I check every few weeks out of morbid curiousity. The Beavis character who does the more, uh, spirited riding crashed a few times but always pretty minor and low speed, against all odds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n5OmQzy5qI

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I would subscribe to your Patreon. I would also like to watch videos of some of the maintenance you do with narration. Like just wear a GoPro on your head and narrate it later, that would be a lot less anxiety inducing I think.
Same here. I'm pretty new to this forum and don't really ever post, but I would throw money in your direction if you started something like that.

There's tons of free options for video editing out there, just take a little time investment to get going with.

Plus you're an Aussie right Slavvy? Dumb Americans over here love us some accents

Slavvy posted:

I was thinking a split-screen of oil changes, 690 vs SV or similar. SV video stops after five minutes, is replaced by footage of puppies and kittens while the KTM goes into 3x speed with me giving it a bollocking played over the top.
Already subscribed

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

On the subject of motorcycle maintenance videos, I came across this one browsing around out of curiosity to see what's exactly involved in changing tires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeoMTg7bxvw

These kind of videos are what I love to see, straightforward but still pretty well made and fun.

And refreshingly positive boomer energy coming off that dude, if such a thing does, in fact, exist

"But they haven't been able to outsmaht me yet" :allears:

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 15, 2020

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Well at least it looks like he had a nice concrete curb to break his fall, hopefully that BatSuit came with hip and knee armor

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

quote:

“They just said people have a fight or flight, or whatever it is, and I just decided to fight,” Murray said.
Well, he did get the flight part out of the way already...

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

If anyone's after a fun moto doc, some idiot friends of mine rode their scooters across the US and filmed it: Slow Ride Home. It made the rounds at some smaller film festivals and is finally on Prime, or you can buy it at their site. They basically prank each other the whole way and suffer, a lot. It's good watchin'.
Nice, looks like a lot of fun, I'm putting it on my list to buy!

YouTube's algorithm's threw a newish TT doc at me not long ago, I always eat those up, this one focuses on one of the new guys Dominic Herbertson and the 2018 TT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMv0ETbbYdk

Charismatic young guy, seems like he has a good career ahead of him.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

https://youtu.be/LuwyXMPA5sE

Dude's 636 caught on fire in front of me. Sure it's been hot here lately but drat

He'd just filled the tank, and it looks like gas leaked down and was ignited by the exhaust (that had no can), it's a stunter bike and was pretty beat up.

Someone with a fire extinguisher stopped thankfully, I went to get water but I don't think it would have been quick enough

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Somebody needs to buy that, drat. Also another one of these baffling motorcycle cases:

quote:

Purchased Sept 2010 with 800 miles on the odometer,

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Slavvy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUj2Sy2cheY

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I don't speak Australian but I heard the guy on the troubled bike say something about a bolt it sounded like :v:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

Are those Iron Cross decals/metal badges?

Is this a Nazi bike?
The iron cross is all over the place on vehicle bumpers in the US, I never really paid attention before but with the trend in emboldened nazis lately I'm more alert to those things, so I did a :thunk: and looked it up. It's been more widely recognized as a generic paint by numbers outlaw biker thing for a long while now. You can get them preapplied to your GMC bumper

Now if you see one with a swastika in the middle They Might be a Nazi

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYimlrucN4s

Plus article explaining it

I like how he grabs what looks like the exhaust as they're sliding
This one is nuts. I'm always paranoid about checking for red light runners, but I bet I would have completely missed it too being beside a couple big SUVs and back 1 car deep. Light must have been red a good 3-4 seconds at LEAST with how long the whole thing took after the other side got a green.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Razzled posted:

22k puts you at a base model H2 just sayin

edit: dang actually the h2 sx is 25k
:hmmyes: Pretty sure you could swing the naked Z H2 if you can find one, it'd probably be around 22k once the dust settled!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

The manifestations of luxury and excess in countries where there are few means, no space, or cultural austerity are the best. Custom kei cars and scooters in Japan, Thai racing boats, tuk tuks, etc.
American luxury and excess is gross and gaudy because it's unchecked, encouraged, and available to anyone with a pulse who's willing to take on a lifetime of debt. Well, not anyone, but ykwIm.
I learned about the existence of dekotora, customized semi trucks, thanks to Guy Martin's series, (I've been just watching whatever pops up on youtube but looks like the whole thing is up on Channel 4's site: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/our-guy-in-japan)

I never knew/cared much about trucks at all but I'd defy anyone to not be able to admit how cool these are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqKZWa-xmq0

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

Those are so much better than the US equivalent, rolling coal in a bro truck
The Virgin US Diesel brother ripping out emissions controls while the Chad Japanese truck driver carefully handcrafts custom decor

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Can you substitute facial hair for a cigarette constantly hanging out of their mouth? Years ago I found a crusty local mechanic with grunge clothes who had no beard but was always smoking. He seemed legit, only went there once though for a basic first service I didn't trust my mechanically illiterate self to be able to manage.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

*America the beautiful plays softly in the distance while monsterbutt guy does a sick burnout in slow motion*

Don't know what Monster did to so deeply ingrain their awful battery acid with MoTORCYCLE CuLTURE but god has it seemed to stick. I was briefly considering a new R3 from a dealer but the only ones they seemed to have in stock were the godawful MONSTER branded fairings, which are listed at like $300 more retail :lol:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

These are endlessly entertaining and pop up a lot

:catstare: NICE TRY
(pretty sure I had to select the scooter, but I screencapped this a while ago and don't remember for sure)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

PeterCat posted:

Looking through a motorcycle magazine from 1952. I feel like the modern version of this would be anime girls.
Oh christ please don't give them any ideas. The weebs have mostly stayed away from bikes so far and I hope it stays that way

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Strife posted:

where on earth did you get that idea

(I'll be honest when I googled "weeb bike" I expected more Hayabusas)
MODS??

lol somehow the KTM ends up being the least offending aesthetically

Of course it's the creepy hyper-sexualized disturbingly young looking anime characters. If someone does a full wrap of that anime with the clearly adult buff sailor dudes then I'll listen, in the meantime, these are all tacky and weird, just the modern weeb version of the bikini lady decals with added modern day gross factors

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Cycle pics: the pedophilia is a very small component of the first season
:emptyquote:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

^ I'm still in :getin:

SEKCobra posted:

When I'm parking in public I pretty much just do this and it works really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M43WGedNd-s
I never really thought about leaving room for other bikes, makes sense! I like that guy's videos, they're refreshingly low bullshit.

When I park places I tend to be a self-centered rear end in a top hat and park at an angle to take as much as the space as possible with my nose sticking way out to make sure cars can see me and they don't try to crowd me. Where I live though parking usually isn't that much of a problem, massive parking lots everywhere so I just go to any empty area. Or if it's somewhere like the grocery store I'll sometimes just pull up near the entrance and scoot back into one of the corners on the sidewalk/walkway area, I know that's tempting fate for someone messing with your bike, but it's been fine so far and no employees have ever said a word.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Nitrox posted:

And to me it seems much better and practical than the goofy rubber protectors people glue all over their gastank.

Revvik posted:

Definitely looks better than a tank pad or tank grip
!! :objection: !!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Guy Martin waxing philosophical about stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT6s5z7fKso

The description of the Rolls Royce Merlin engine taking off inside his garage is pretty funny.

Lol and counting out all 11 of his 10 mm wrenches.
Ohh that's awesome I had not seen that one put up! Guy Martin is a treasure, I watch anything he does that I can get my hands on. I've spent enough time listening to him by now that I'm getting pretty good at deciphering his Guyspeak, without subtitles even.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Didn't realize just how loaded with electronics the new Hayabusas are, this video takes it through its paces in the kind of environments you don't normally see in sport bike reviews. drat impressive watching him dragging a knee on surfaces I'd be sketched out to drive in a car :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITw3QnbHztg

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I'd never seen a motorcycle have to do that, do any other countries have the front plate requirement? There really is nowhere good to stick the thing on a bike.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Slavvy posted:

They're thinking the same thing as someone learning photography buying a $2000 DSLR because you can't be the best without the best gear! *drops camera because I forgot to lock the tripod*
:lol: this analogy rules

I aspire to be the photog with the old scuffed up Canon 300D series and a nice Tamron lens just nailing the composition in every picture, like the rider with the dinged up 250/300 with an immaculate chain and grippy tires passing superbikes in the corners :hmmyes:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Hell yeah the Uppsala run is still one of the best motorcycle videos ever made. Didn't his name come out at some point, if I remember he was a Swedish moto GP guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeah I don't think it was ever proven for sure, but rumor is that's the guy. Definitely a combination of incredible skill lining up with windows of luck.

The whole lo-fi thing really added to the mystique, 20 year old camera video and audio tech gives it a real underground, VHS passed around and copied multiple times feel, it was my intro to people doing dumb things on motorcycles.

See also Black Devil Moscow Run, that one is up there too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAVxpPnUpDE